TiVo Community Archive2

TiVo Community Archive2 (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php)
-   DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Terk 5x8 Multiswitch running hot (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=216910)

HoustonGuy 01-09-2005 08:40 PM

Terk 5x8 Multiswitch running hot

Just installed a Terk 5x8 multiswitch (powered) Saturday. I've noticed the switch is extremely warm - almost hot to the touch. Is this normal? Does anyone else have one of these that is acting the same way?

MBfromMI 01-09-2005 09:24 PM

Normal :)

jrinck 01-09-2005 09:54 PM

Poor engineering, but at least it works. Power consumption in electronic devices isn't really a major concern for things that get plugged in. But in the case of this multiswitch, it's probably the transformer (assuming it's internal)--no excuse, but that's usually the biggest power drain in any electronic component. Going from 120V AC to, say, 5-12V, is not going to be very efficient no matter how you design it. They probably went with the lowest bidder for that part of the product.

HoustonGuy 01-09-2005 11:20 PM

Thanks for the information - I guess it's normal then - everything seems to be working fine. I have a mix of receiver types (old Sony, RCA, DirecTV Tivo, and Ultimate TV), and they are all working great with the switch.

I just became rather concerned when I touched it today on the wall since it was so hot. The power supply is external, so was surprised that so much heat is being generated internally in the switch. I guess that is why the shell is metal to help disburse the heat - but again, it just seemed abnormally hot. I have been searching the net and it appears these things run pretty warm from what I read.

I previously had an older 3x4 switch that wasn't powered, and it was just slightly warm, but had to move to the 5x8 to accommodate some more outputs.

The Terk BMS-58 seemed like a good choice since it takes all 4 inputs from my oval dish, and can work with the dish's already built in multiswitch without messing everything up. But again, just surprised it was hot.

Thanks again for the input - and if anyone else has some observations about this particular unit, please post.

Thanks!

jfalkingham 01-10-2005 08:09 AM

you need power?

I am going to assume you need the 5 inputs for HD or other satellite orbits?

I have a 2x8 switch that works great w/o external power needs... 4 dual-tuner DTivo's are quite happy :-)

HoustonGuy 01-10-2005 11:53 AM

Re: you need power?

Quote:
Originally posted by jfalkingham
I am going to assume you need the 5 inputs for HD or other satellite orbits?

I have a 2x8 switch that works great w/o external power needs... 4 dual-tuner DTivo's are quite happy :-)

I upgraded my dish to an oval triple LNB a while back so I could get things like the NASA channel, and also be ready to go HD in the future, so that is why I went with the 5x8.

Sent a note off to Terk tech support asking them about it running so hot, but haven't heard back yet. I'm still assuming from what everyone is saying and other things I have read that this is pretty normal - but it's just a concern - don't want the thing to burn up on the wall :)

HoustonGuy 01-10-2005 06:39 PM

Just wanted to post a final reply to this thread in case anyone is ever wondering the same thing about a hot Terk multiswitch...

I heard back from Terk support today, and they said the normal operating temperature for their 5x8 switch is 160 degrees! So I guess these things run really hot. Just FYI...

Thanks again for all the input and replies!

Shifterkart 01-11-2005 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy

I heard back from Terk support today, and they said the normal operating temperature for their 5x8 switch is 160 degrees! So I guess these things run really hot. Just FYI...

Just wondering, does anybody worry about a hot environment such as that can cause the MS to fail prematurely? I have a Toshiba DST-3000 HD receiver and it ran hot. Everybody said that was normal. It lasted about 9 months before it had to be replaced. I placed a fan on the replacement to keep it cool and has been problem free for over 2 years now. Because of that, I placed a fan on my Eagle Aspen 5x8 MS which was also running hot when I first hooked it up (almost as hot as the Terk).

Codewiz 01-11-2005 08:07 AM

Mine is going to be mounted outside, is the temperature enough to damage vinyl?

HoustonGuy 01-12-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Codewiz
Mine is going to be mounted outside, is the temperature enough to damage vinyl?

I doubt it is hot enough to damage vinyl siding. My switch is hot to the touch, but not so hot it will burn you or probably anything else. Mine is mounted inside the house on a regular drywall type wall, and so far no fire or damage :-)

My main concern with it running so hot is that I was thinking it was a faulty switch and that it was going to burn itself out. Evidently all these powered switches, no matter who makes them, run pretty hot - but I doubt it is hot enough to damage anything they are mounted to. Good luck with your install.

emayracing 01-12-2005 12:43 PM

I've read this type of discussion many times on this board. My neighbor has a 5x8 (it's not Terk, and I can't remember what it is) - anyhow, I asked him if it ran hot and he said "not at all".

So, I went into his basement, put my hand on the multiswitch (carefully at first) then realized, I could put my entire hand on it - and I stood there for almost 5 minutes without any discomfort. Actually, it wasn't even warm.

Yes, it did have a electric input and it was plugged in.

Why are some multiswitches so hot - and others are actually about the temperature of the side of a standard VCR?

JPriller 02-03-2005 08:11 PM

I just got a Terk BMS-58 today and I remembered reading they ran hot, but 160 degrees? Yikes. I got some 1-inch plastic stand-offs for mine and some longer screws and mounted it so at least it's not touching the interior wall. Probably it wouldn't be a problem, but I'll sleep better now. :)

Neil White 02-03-2005 11:34 PM

I worried about the same thing with my BMS-58. Terk initially sent me a replacement. The new one runs just as hot. It's in my garage and in the winter when the ambient temp is lower it is just hot. In the summer (I'm in TX so it's searingly hot), it's way too hot to touch. I just mounted it slightly off the wall to allow some air around the back.

Not malfunctioned yet and been in place about 18months I think.

N

mgreenhp 08-02-2005 11:32 PM

I just installed my Terk BMS-58 Multiswitch and also noticed it was running VERY hot. The only reason I noticed the heat issue, is that everything was working fine for about 8 hours. Then My HD Tivo said it was looking for a signal, first on Sat 1, then 2. I thought it was odd that it suddenly stopped working. So I unconnected the Multiswitch and passed everything straight through and had no problems. I thought maybe the Terk over heated, but it appears from reading this thread its normal. Anyone have any other ideas why it would drop the signal after 8 hours of working fine?

SpankyInChicago 08-03-2005 01:19 PM

I have this multiswitch, and while it is warm to the touch it is certainly not too hot to keep my hand on for long periods of time.

EMoMoney 08-03-2005 01:24 PM

Mine sits on the back of my dish, so I assume that is pretty damn hot as well.