TiVo Community Archive2

TiVo Community Archive2 (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php)
-   Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why do some boy dogs squat to pee? (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=251973)

mtnagel 07-30-2005 08:19 AM

Why do some boy dogs squat to pee?

I just let my dog out and wondered why he squat when he pees instead of lifting his leg. What's funny is that every once in a great while, I guess instinct takes over and he will lift his leg a little to pee except he will do it in the middle of the yard with nothing around. It's pretty funny to watch.

Mike2001 07-30-2005 08:22 AM

The only time I seen a male dog do that is when they're puppies. When the get older then they lift the leg. Or at least thats been my experience with the dogs that I have owned.

mtnagel 07-30-2005 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2001
The only time I seen a male dog do that is when they're puppies. When the get older then they lift the leg. Or at least thats been my experience with the dogs that I have owned.
Yeah, I've seen puppies do it then lift when they get older, but my dog, which we got at about 1 year is now almost 4 and he still does it. Maybe I shouldn't admit this. It's kind of embarrassing.

Francesco 07-30-2005 08:29 AM

My big boy dog - a retired racing greyhound - squats to pee nine times out of ten. It has more to do with his upbringing - marking territory, living in common quarters, not being "fixed" until after retirement, and size of the dog (tall, lazy dogs find it easier to squat).

firerose818 07-30-2005 08:50 AM

I have a three year old male cocker spaniel who still squats to pee most of the time. Sometimes he will find some enticing bushes and lift his leg, but if he goes in the middle of the lawn, he squats. I always wondered about that too.

-Rose

TheDewAddict 07-30-2005 08:56 AM

Mine had to learn it from another dog. He is still a puppy, and always squatted. Then one day, he saw another dog walking down our alley, and that dog lifted his leg and went up against our fence. Our dog immediatly began lifting his leg. However, a few months ago, he had surgery on one of his rear legs, so he went back to squatting. Now he's probably 50/50 on what he does.

TBDigital 07-30-2005 09:07 AM

Yeah, that's been our experience as well. Our 4 yr old mutt still squats as well, but when my SIL was bringing her 2 yr old Lab to visit, Reno started lifting his leg. The Lab had spent alot of time with other dogs (this dog was a problem child, so he was in alot of obedience classes), while our dog hasn't spent much time with any other dogs. My SIL got rid of the Lab a year ago, and our dog has reverted back to squatting. The only time he'll lift his leg now is if he's in a new place, and doing the whole 'marking his territory' thing.

Lee L 07-30-2005 09:09 AM

Our male squats as well probalby 90 percent of the time but as he has gotten older (almost 5) he has started doing a little gangsta lean with his hind quarters so he misses his feet.

Francesco 07-30-2005 09:17 AM

Nah, mine pisses in the street and doesn't move his feet. Ugh. He'll just stand in the puddle. On the bright side, we have him trained to do all his business in the street. Looks offensive, but much easier to pick up, and all our neighbors appreciate that he doesn't "go" on any of their lawns.

mtnagel 07-30-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Nah, mine pisses in the street and doesn't move his feet. Ugh. He'll just stand in the puddle. On the bright side, we have him trained to do all his business in the street. Looks offensive, but much easier to pick up, and all our neighbors appreciate that he doesn't "go" on any of their lawns.
That's funny. Oddly, ours is a cocker too, but he came from a rescue place so I'm sure there were other males around, although he was probably stuck in a cage, so maybe that got him squatting. Now, we have a female and male, so I guess he only sees squatting.

Agatha Mystery 07-30-2005 10:01 AM

My 10 year old yellow lab doesn't squat, but he doesn't hike his leg. He just stretches out, and leans forward a bit, so he doesn't pee on his legs or feet. I have seen him, only one time, pick up one foot, but he never hiked the leg, he just leaned a tad to one side, and picked up one back foot about 3 inches off the ground.

DavidS 07-30-2005 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery
My 10 year old yellow lab doesn't squat, but he doesn't hike his leg. He just stretches out, and leans forward a bit, so he doesn't pee on his legs or feet. I have seen him, only one time, pick up one foot, but he never hiked the leg, he just leaned a tad to one side, and picked up one back foot about 3 inches off the ground.

Exactly the same for our 2 year old great dane.

uncdrew 07-30-2005 10:13 AM

A friend of mine has a Min Pin.

It walks on its front legs while it pees.

The Peeing Handstand.

Crazy dog.

omnibus 07-30-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Yep ours does that routine too.

Francesco 07-30-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
Exactly the same for our 2 year old great dane.

Yup. When our greyhound does lift a leg, that's about it. But I have him peeing in the gutter (the edge of the street by the curb), so he occasionally lifts the leg and puts it on the curb for support! :D

Agatha Mystery 07-30-2005 10:32 AM

Our dog never really marked territory. Although, now, he's starting to. He goes across the street into the desert, and finds a low bush or weed to pee on. :D He's even starting to pee on the sage in the front yard. He doesn't do it very often, but it cracks me up. This is the dog who we would take across the street so he could do his 'business', and he'd run around for half an hour or more doing nothing but sniffing bushes and chasing lizards. The second he'd get back to our house, he'd go in the backyard. Cracked me up. The first time he pooped in the desert, we were so proud. He did it in the middle of the dirt road. :D

mtnagel 07-30-2005 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew
A friend of mine has a Min Pin.

It walks on its front legs while it pees.

The Peeing Handstand.

Crazy dog.
Our friends have one too and it is also crazy. I don't know if it walks on it's hands when it pees, but it's crazy nonethless. Damn thing cost a grand too!

MauriAnne 07-30-2005 10:35 AM

My female hung around a bunch of males when she was a lil pup, so she often lifts her leg. Go figure.

Finnstang 07-30-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

This is what our dobie did while he was a puppy. He is a little over a year, so I guess he is still kind of a puppy, but it is hard to look at a 92 pound dog and think "puppy". He still does do the lean forward maneuver sometimes, but he usually pees with his leg up so he can pee on the fence at the back of the yard. Our neighbors have two dogs directly on the other side of that fence.

Finnstang 07-30-2005 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne
My female hung around a bunch of males when she was a lil pup, so she often lifts her leg. Go figure.

There was a female dog at a puppy party that we went to with our female. The other female was very territorial and would go around to all the fence, trees, and other tall objects and do the handstand pee like uncdrew was talking about to get her mark as high as possible.

cypress 07-30-2005 11:24 AM

Maybe they're metrodogs?

mtnagel 07-30-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypress
Maybe they're metrodogs?
Nice :up:

Agatha Mystery 07-30-2005 11:36 AM

/me wonders if Retro squats to pee......

:p

InigoMontoya 07-30-2005 11:56 AM

In my life I've had (stops to count... 1, 2, 3...)... Yup, 3 male dogs. None have been leg hikers. None have squatted either. All have used the afore mentioned "stretch forward" method.

And it's not a "one dog is teaching the stretch to the next dog" thing. One dog has always been dead and gone before the next dog came on scene.

If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with how secure the dog is in it's territory. If there are lots of other dogs and the like, it must mark it's territory (ie, lift a leg). If he is master of his domain and knows it, there's no need.

Francesco 07-30-2005 11:59 AM

I think that's it.

My dog has never known any other breed than its own. Other dogs are not a threat to his "territory" but rather just a nuisance. When he's around other greyhounds at various meets and picnics, he will sniff, lift and mark as necessary.

Fofer 07-30-2005 12:08 PM

We can talk about how dogs pee and poop... but heaven forbid we talk about how humans do it?

IBTL

:D

SeanC 07-30-2005 12:10 PM

Duke stretches, squats and lifts to pee, (NO not all at once :P) and unfortunately often he pees on his own front paws...

/me sighs

Hoffer 07-30-2005 01:05 PM

My male dog growing up would squat to pee when there were no trees or bushes around. If there was a bush or tree, up would go the leg.

My sister has a little female dog that always lifts a leg when she pees. She doesn't pee on a tree or bush, but just lifts her leg. She doesn't really lift a leg all the way up like a boy dog. Just kinda picks her foot up off the ground.

I've got 2 females and have never seen either lift their legs. They are true ladies. :)

dthmj 07-30-2005 02:24 PM

Beau is the first male dog I have ever had - he doesn the lean forward bit, and occasionally will lift his front paw off the ground.

We took him to see Grandma a month ago, and they had male dogs - while he was there he hiked his back leg but after we came home he went back to just standing.

He was fixed at an early age, so I wondered if that had anything to do with him not hiking.

He also has some strange bathroom behavior. We have a small section fenced off (It's L shaped, about 10 feet wide, and 10 feet long on one side, and 20 feet long on the other side, so he has plenty of room) - a back door opens right into the fenced area, so it's very convienant to let him outside that way. But he won't go potty in the fenced area. As soon as we let him inside, he runs to the front door to let us know he needs to go outside - he let him out the front and he immediately pees. He also pees at least 3 times each time he goes out.

nachonaco 07-30-2005 02:59 PM

I have never found the desire to watch Boomer pee, so I have no idea what he does.

Ruth 07-30-2005 03:05 PM

My dog almost always lifts his leg. The exception is if he's hanging out with another dog who squats and pees on the ground. If he wants to mark on top of that spot, he'll squat too so he can get the exact spot. Other than that he always lifts.

Lifting the leg to mark is often considered a sign of sexual maturity, and for that reason dogs who are neutered early may never exhibit the behavior. But as several people have mentioned it can also be a learned behavior, so you just can't predict. It's really about the individual dog's personality more than anything else.

etexlady 07-30-2005 03:33 PM

My mini-poodle starts our his pee routine with a squat and about half way through lifts his leg, almost like an after-thought. This is in his own back yard. When I take him to the walking trails, that leg goes up from the beginning. Go figure. My previous mini-poodle did the front paw stand thing. He required frequent baths to clean his "yellow" belly.

JustAllie 07-30-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
We can talk about how dogs pee and poop... but heaven forbid we talk about how humans do it?
Everyone in this thread is talking about humans. It's an elaborate code that was developed to avoid drawing the attention of the mods. :p ;)

Fofer 07-30-2005 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie
Everyone in this thread is talking about humans. It's an elaborate code that was developed to avoid drawing the attention of the mods. :p ;)

Ah, now that makes sense! :up:

I'm sort of concerned about etexlady now, though. :(