TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #1051 (Print)
MLabJr

Yes on the Maxtor HD question. You just go to Maxtor's web site download Amset and follow their directions (basically put on floppy and execute from A:\). It made a big difference. I'm working on the TiVo in my bedroom so the noise was pretty obvious.
MLabJr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-28-2005, 07:04 AM   #1052 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
there is no info. about whether or not you can hack for 4.0 if you have 6.2 but why would you wanna take a chance if you know for SURE that you can move from 3.1.1e to 4.0?

I think you're getting two things confused.

You're right that there's little info about if hacks (like TiVoWebPlus, etc) written for 4.0 will run on 6.2.

However, when it comes to following this guide, you're not "moving" from 3.1.x to 4.0 -- you're "completely overwriting anything that was on the hard drive (3.1.1e, 4.0, 6.2, Windows 98, Fedora Core 2, etc) with a copy of 4.0" You're not taking a chance. As long as your 4.0 image is good, you know for sure that the process will work.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #1053 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLabJr
Yes on the Maxtor HD question. You just go to Maxtor's web site download Amset and follow their directions (basically put on floppy and execute from A:\). It made a big difference. I'm working on the TiVo in my bedroom so the noise was pretty obvious.

Your posts reminded me to check the drive in my bedroom TiVo (because it's loud as heck). TiVoWebPlus says it's a MAXTOR. yay!

I guess you probably didn't run it in "noisy" mode long in your bedroom, but was wondering now that you'rs is in "quiet" mode, does it seem OK speedwise?
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #1054 (Print)
MLabJr

Have not done a lot with it because I'm mainly in "learning mode" right now so I can not speak to speed. Can anyone with more experience chime in.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #1055 (Print)
scottdw

I did not notice any speed issues. It did quiet it down a bunch but I can still hear it a little. You get use to it.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #1056 (Print)
dwight

The Maxtor drives are still plenty fast enough when running in "quiet" mode. Without setting it to "quiet" mode, the drive is just too darn loud to be used in a bedroom or Home Theater (IMO).

Good luck,

Dwight

TiVo Hackers - DON'T LET IT CALL THE MOTHERSHIP!
dwight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #1057 (Print)
lummybear

Upgrade drive then 4.0 or other way around?

I already have one dtivo with hinsdale upgrade to 200gb on a dsr 7000, I did not back up the original drive, and just added a 160 gb as a second hd. My wife's dtivo is a stock dsr 7000 also and I was about to do the same to hers but I came across this community forum, started reading around and now I "need "4.0. <<gotta have it!>> Before I go to 4.0, should I pull her drive and save it or back it up or just do what I did before? Or should I go to 4.0 first then upgrade? (And if that's the case, what about my 200 gb one?) Any advice would be great, and thanks for giving me something to do instead of watching more Law & Order!
lummybear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #1058 (Print)
Tivotony

Upgrade HDVR2 (3.1e) to V4.0 - Tivoweb/FTP already installed on it.

Is there an easy way to move to 4.0 if I already have tivoweb and ftp installed on my HDVR2? I can access my tivo via the usb port from my PC and would like to 'upgrade' to version 4.0. Would I just load the slices...?

I've read the 'how-to' but it's not pertinent in my case. I've read for many hours on many different sites and don't want to start over, just want HMO, MRV and maybe streaming.

Thanks in advance....

-Tony
Tivotony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #1059 (Print)
MLabJr

Save recordings and get to 4.x

First - thanks to everyone who contributes to these sites. They are great and there is a lot of indepth information.

I've read and read and still not exactly clear on how to get to 4.x w/recordings.

I have hacked my DTV TiVo to 4.x (have purchased the $5 cd and the $20 image) without getting my recordings on it and had no major issues (have looked at HMO, FTPed, and looked, around at file structure). I'm in the learning mode so I don't mind doing extra stuff just to learn.

Here is what I would like to do - I have 200G drive (brand new) and would like to get my recordings on it and get to 4.X software (store original 40G & 3.x.e away in a safe place). I've looked at Hinsdale and it appears to me to not save my recordings and allow me to put on my new 4.0 drive. I've looked at numerous post on loopsets and splices, but this seeems to be if I want to update w/o going to a brand new drive. If I'm wrong here, I believe I need to be able to hack my e kernel to get telenet working (not sure how to do this) so I can ftp slices and loopset.

Am I misunderstanding what I've read? I'm very comfortable with pulling drives, moving back and forth (computer ->Tivo -> computer) and are not that concerned about how long (I'm trying to learn linux and get Tivo benefits as a plus). any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #1060 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

Send a message via AIM to the new guy
You want to copy the old drive to the new one, then upgrade using slices. That way you will still get to keep your recordings, and have 4.0 on the 200GB drive. The directions are out there, just be sure to read them carefully so you will be able to use the full size of the new drive.

Tim

Old 02-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #1061 (Print)
Lungwah

I am pretty sure the Hinsdale docs show how to backup an entire drive (recordings and all) and restore/expand it to another drive. I think it's a one line command to do it (assuming you have access to both drives). Something like this:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 300 -xzpi - /dev/hda

You can test this backup immediately by putting the new drive in the tivo and try booting the box. If that works, then you can install the hacks and perform the slice upgrade.

Quote:
First - thanks to everyone who contributes to these sites. They are great and there is a lot of indepth information.

I've read and read and still not exactly clear on how to get to 4.x w/recordings.

I have hacked my DTV TiVo to 4.x (have purchased the $5 cd and the $20 image) without getting my recordings on it and had no major issues (have looked at HMO, FTPed, and looked, around at file structure). I'm in the learning mode so I don't mind doing extra stuff just to learn.

Here is what I would like to do - I have 200G drive (brand new) and would like to get my recordings on it and get to 4.X software (store original 40G & 3.x.e away in a safe place). I've looked at Hinsdale and it appears to me to not save my recordings and allow me to put on my new 4.0 drive. I've looked at numerous post on loopsets and splices, but this seeems to be if I want to update w/o going to a brand new drive. If I'm wrong here, I believe I need to be able to hack my e kernel to get telenet working (not sure how to do this) so I can ftp slices and loopset.

Am I misunderstanding what I've read? I'm very comfortable with pulling drives, moving back and forth (computer ->Tivo -> computer) and are not that concerned about how long (I'm trying to learn linux and get Tivo benefits as a plus). any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lungwah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-01-2005, 05:14 AM   #1062 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungwah
I am pretty sure the Hinsdale docs show how to backup an entire drive (recordings and all) and restore/expand it to another drive. I think it's a one line command to do it (assuming you have access to both drives). Something like this:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 300 -xzpi - /dev/hda

Actually the hinsdale instructions tell you to use the 'dd' command to duplicate your original drive instead of mfsbackup and mfsrestore. I'm not sure why. I think it was because 'dd' would be faster even with the extra files it copies.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #1063 (Print)
MLabJr

But will I have Telnet?

I understand how to copy to the new drive (Hinsdale). If I understand it, I will have expanded only to 137G and still have Ver. 3.x.e (am I confused). If this is accurate will I be able to telnet in on this version to do the other hacks (will the networking hacks be there?)?

If they are then I would need to get to 4.x, get lba48 going, and then I could expand to the 200G? I guess that is where my confusion is - after I restore to the new drive how do I get to where I can hack it?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #1064 (Print)
MLabJr

I think I understand.....

I did some more reading and I think I understand what I need to do to get telnet up and the other hacks on so I can then dbload slices/loopsets. I've read so much I think I've made this harder then it is, but in the long run all that reading will help me. I'll give it a try next time I'm home.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #1065 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

Send a message via AIM to the new guy
I believe you would be better off copying the old drive to the new one but NOT expand it until all the LBA48 stuff is in place. This way, you only need to expand the drive once, instead of from 40 to 137GB, then again to the full 200. Put the MFS Tools files on an LBA48-aware boot CD, and expand when the LBA48 kernel is in place on the new drive.

Tim

Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #1066 (Print)
kb7sei

Quote:
I understand how to copy to the new drive (Hinsdale). If I understand it, I will have expanded only to 137G and still have Ver. 3.x.e (am I confused). If this is accurate will I be able to telnet in on this version to do the other hacks (will the networking hacks be there?)?

If they are then I would need to get to 4.x, get lba48 going, and then I could expand to the 200G? I guess that is where my confusion is - after I restore to the new drive how do I get to where I can hack it?

Thanks!

You need to use an LBA48 boot CD in the PC when you expand your new drive. Do not skip this, you will regret it. Then, before booting in the TiVo, I would install init-framework and monte so you can boot an LBA48 kernel to use all the space. Note that networking is NOT installed yet. You will need to do that as well before booting in the TiVo. Then install the slices over the network to get 4.x. Most of the hacking takes place in the PC booted from CD into Linux. After that step, and you get a good boot, you should have networking. You can finish it over telnet/serial at that point. I highly recomend building or buying a serial cable. It's invaluable if you have a boot problem.

If you want to test the drive copy before doing any hacking, do it after the copy but before expanding the drive. I would also recomend making a backup with mfstool before the copy, just to make sure you have one.

GXCEBOT on 2.5.2 - 140GB - Every hack known to man.

SD-DVR80 on 4.0.1b - 300GB - HMO, MRV, TivoWebPlus, EndPadPlus, Extraction

SD-DVR80 on 4.0.1b - 80GB - HMO, MRV, TivoWebPlus, EndPadPlus, Extraction
kb7sei is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #1067 (Print)
Dirac

Quote:
Hope this helps someone to not have to pull their drive twice (like me).

Where were you last week?

The night after upgrading the bedroom tivo with 120 GB Maxtor, it reminded me of when I had a hamster. I got up at 3 am to download the software, and pulled the drive later that morning (too tired to muck around inside a computer that early).

Dirac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #1068 (Print)
Lungwah

If you expand with the lba48 boot CD, you will have to monte into an lba48 aware kernel (this is mandatory, otherwise bad things will happen when the drive begins to fill up). init-framework sets up the monte for you; it also does some stuff for RID boxes. As kb7sei mentioned, all you need to do initially is get a successful boot with telnet and ftp enabled, then you can do everything else remotely to your tivo.

Before you install the slices, make sure you replace the reboot with "exit 0" in the installSw.itcl script. Once the script completes, you can mount the 4.0.1b partitions and copy your hacks over, reboot, and have a hacked 4.0.1b tivo.

The only downside I've noticed with the 4.0.1b with slices upgrade, is I am missing most of the "Now Playing" icons., but I can live with that.

Oh and if anything goes wrong with 4.0.1, you can always flip back to your 3.1e install using bootpage.

Quote:
I did some more reading and I think I understand what I need to do to get telnet up and the other hacks on so I can then dbload slices/loopsets. I've read so much I think I've made this harder then it is, but in the long run all that reading will help me. I'll give it a try next time I'm home.

Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2005, 05:50 AM   #1069 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
The only downside I've noticed with the 4.0.1b with slices upgrade, is I am missing most of the "Now Playing" icons., but I can live with that.

What do you mean? Are you talking about the network icons? You still have the yellow and green balls telling you the status of shows, don't you?

Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #1070 (Print)
chriszarate

Hi, just installed 4.0.1b on my Hughes sd-dvr80. Went fine except now I notice increased noise. Specifically one noise that is much louder than the normal chatter. Not alarming, but can definitely hear it in the quiet bedroom. Is there something I could have done while pulling the drive, or is there something in the new software that causes increased activity? I installed TWP but have since disabled it. Thanks for any help....
chriszarate is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #1071 (Print)
MLabJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac
Where were you last week?

The night after upgrading the bedroom tivo with 120 GB Maxtor, it reminded me of when I had a hamster. I got up at 3 am to download the software, and pulled the drive later that morning (too tired to muck around inside a computer that early).

I was listening to a hamster like you. Hope the post helps someone.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #1072 (Print)
D_Doherty

Does the box need to be active in order to install 4.0?

I am not trying to steal anything. I have 4 active DirecTivos (all I really need) and an 8 port multiswitch (maxed out).

I purchased an additional box to upgrade. What I would like to do is upgrade one box at a time w/o removing a box from service and then replace an active box with the upgraded one.

Is this possible or do I need to activate the box and get an additional multiswitch?

Thanks,

Dave
D_Doherty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #1073 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

a inactive box with 4.0 can be used to watch shows with MRV and do HMO features but that's it.
No recording will be possible.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #1074 (Print)
D_Doherty

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

Does it need to be active to do the install?

I have now a 5th box (inactive). What I want to do is upgrade it and swap it for an active box. Rinse, Repeat, etc. until I've done 4 boxes. Then I can ebay the last unhacked box once all 4 are upgraded.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #1075 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

no
it just won't get authorized when you do guided setup.
All other features (besides tuning channels) will be fine.
Just don't sell the hacked ones on Ebay it's not legal.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #1076 (Print)
Lungwah

Yes, the network icons. Some of the HBO icons and most of the more obscure channel icons.

My balls are still there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
What do you mean? Are you talking about the network icons? You still have the yellow and green balls telling you the status of shows, don't you?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #1077 (Print)
Finnstang
Thingamabob

Quote:
My balls are still there

Good to hear.

Finnstang is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #1078 (Print)
MLabJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7sei
You need to use an LBA48 boot CD in the PC when you expand your new drive. Do not skip this, you will regret it. Then, before booting in the TiVo, I would install init-framework and monte so you can boot an LBA48 kernel to use all the space. Note that networking is NOT installed yet. You will need to do that as well before booting in the TiVo. Then install the slices over the network to get 4.x. Most of the hacking takes place in the PC booted from CD into Linux. After that step, and you get a good boot, you should have networking. You can finish it over telnet/serial at that point. I highly recomend building or buying a serial cable. It's invaluable if you have a boot problem.

If you want to test the drive copy before doing any hacking, do it after the copy but before expanding the drive. I would also recomend making a backup with mfstool before the copy, just to make sure you have one.

Can you validate what I did last night should boot. Just to make sure you know my starting point is - Hughes HDVR2 (40G w/RID)

Here is what I did last night (all of this was done in a PC);

- restored my original TiVo hd to a brand new 200G hd (expanded at the same time).
- copied & dd the 3.1.1c kernal to hdx3 & 6
-copied all my hacks to a hack directory
- installed init_framework
- replaced dssapp
- put lba48_2.4.18 where the init_framework expects it
- set bootpage
- created rc.sysinit.author & made executable
- was suppose to disable netfilter, but it wasn't there
- was really tied so I stopped here other then to see if this attempt would boot in TiVo - NOT - hung at Power Up Screen
- went to bed and do more reading and ask for help tomorrow.

Can you validate what I did should work? The boot problem could be I'm totally wrong here or I made a typo or screwed something up. I planned on putting a serial cable on it tonight and see what I can see. It would be great if I knew that what I did at least was right to allow networking and to proceed to the slice stuff.

Thanks,
Old 03-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #1079 (Print)
D_Doherty

HDVR2 is not an RID box.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #1080 (Print)
Bardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman2k3
a inactive box with 4.0 can be used to watch shows with MRV and do HMO features but that's it.
No recording will be possible.

Hmmmm, this gives me an idea.... feel free to shoot me down if this won't work:

I have a "dead" HDVR2 in my garage. It's only "dead" as it's hard drive went bad. At the time, I was too lazy to mess with the HD so I picked up DVR80 from best buy and "retired" this unit.

I've now (as you see in my sig) upgraded both active Dtivos to 4.0.1b, complete with all the perks.

I only have a 2x4 multiswitch (locals are on the 101 birds), so unless I upgrade the multiswitch, i'm maxed out for receivers (plus the running coax to the 3rd receiver location issue)

Could I just buy a new drive, install 4.0.1b on it, install it in the "dead" hdvr2, and hook it into my network and use it as a "slave" to the active Dtivos? My "need" is three young children who don't agree on what to watch. I don't need to record any more shows, just be able to play different shows on different TVs. Currently, my HDVR2 (I named it MBR) is "serving" three TVs (MBR, Living/Dining room, and oldest kid bdroom). I am using the "dead" unit's peanut via IR extender in the living room.

the stupid thing is I already have an ethernet run to my son's room, so no real wiring is needed to accomplish this...