July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2005, 11:39 PM   #31 (Print)
CrazyFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
I'm hoping that my 6.2 upgrade will come soon as well. It hasn't come today, of course, and I fully expect it to arrive sometime in August. If it gets here before August, I will be in the wildest state of shock, as the update was originally supposed to come out in January.

As for this testing business, that's just garbage. It's not like we're talking actual computer software here. There are millions of different kinds of computers, but there are only like 7 different kinds of DTV Tivos.

I like DTV, and I'll continue with their service, but their handling of this whole thing is just atrocious.

Has anyone out there had a Hughes model upgraded?

Oh how wrong you are.
CrazyFred is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #32 (Print)
Klaitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Sure there are just "7" DTivos... but there are different brands of Multiswitches. Different Brands of Dishes... Different "lengths" of cable between unit and dish, ect..

Different Audio Recievers, Different TV's, Different universal remotes, ect.... There are a LOT of combinations... Sure nothing on the magnitude of computers combination, but it is more then just "7"....

And it's not like there is a "rollback" feature, if you install a bad software package.
And the OS is scale down so much, that it freaks out when it gets a bad piece of data, unlike a PC that is design to deal with errors.

And also people are "used" to their PC crashing every once and a while.
Crash your "TV" or lose your recordings... Head's will role in some households..

What would multiswitches and remotes have anything to do with anything? That's like saying that software on your computer would affect a cable modem.

I mean, there aren't many types of directivos.. the main difference among them is the recording capacity.

Once you have it working for the Hughes DVR, for instance, you have it working for ALL Hughes DVR's, because all of them have identical hardware.

Perhiperals are irrelevant.
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:53 PM   #33 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
What would multiswitches and remotes have anything to do with anything? That's like saying that software on your computer would affect a cable modem.
I guess you were not around during the 3.1.1d update...

Old 05-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #34 (Print)
Klaitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
What is atrocious? That they are starting to send out the software on the date they said they would? That they tested the software first this time? Please tell me what they mis handled.

What isn't? Let's count!

1. DirecTV DVR's don't follow the standalone TiVo Software, we're like 3 or 4 versions behind.

2. The patch was supposed to come in during the month of January. I got an upgrade letter in March, it is now May, and I still have no patch.

3. Whenever I do get the patch, it will be devoid of most of the useful features it was supposed to have in the first place.. which is likely a major reason why this patch has been delayed for so long.

4. Testing is a very good thing, but either there are a LOT of bugs in the new release, or the programmers are taking a nap on the job (maybe both). It doesn't take months to fix petty non-critical bugs in any software.. at least in any software I have ever seen.. and I worked for AOL at one time.

I mean, it's not like anyone expected them to have a smooth release.. they're not a software company, after all. I don't want to sound overly critical, either.. being overcautious is better than just throwing faulty software on people's machines.. it's just taking way longer than is needed,,

I mean, a 6 month development time to speed up menus and add folders? A single guy in his basement could do that in a matter of weeks.
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #35 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
What isn't? Let's count!

1. DirecTV DVR's don't follow the standalone TiVo Software, we're like 3 or 4 versions behind.
Did DirecTV ever advertise the features of the standalone?

Quote:
2. The patch was supposed to come in during the month of January. I got an upgrade letter in March, it is now May, and I still have no patch.
It was suppose to come in January but you got a letter in March? Something is screwed up with your time line. We (the hackers and insiders) knew about it January but DirecTV never said they would ship it in January.

Quote:
3. Whenever I do get the patch, it will be devoid of most of the useful features it was supposed to have in the first place.. which is likely a major reason why this patch has been delayed for so long.
What features is it missing? DirecTV said it would add folders and it does that. DirecTV I think also said it would be faster and so far for most people it has.

Quote:
4. Testing is a very good thing, but either there are a LOT of bugs in the new release, or the programmers are taking a nap on the job (maybe both). It doesn't take months to fix petty non-critical bugs in any software.. at least in any software I have ever seen.. and I worked for AOL at one time.
Software QA is a very complex thing. DirecTV had certain requirements that the code had to be changed for. Why would DirecTV be in any rush to release it?

Quote:
I mean, a 6 month development time to speed up menus and add folders? A single guy in his basement could do that in a matter of weeks.
So I guess you have access to the source code since you can make estimates on how long it is going to take. We do not know how much of the code base has changed. For all we know they could of completely rewritten the code. We do not know how many change requests from DirecTV to TiVo were made during the development process. Maybe DirecTV was asking for modifications that were not in the original contract.

Last edited by rminsk : 05-17-2005 at 01:09 AM.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #36 (Print)
peterl1365

Quote:

I mean, it's not like anyone expected them to have a smooth release.. they're not a software company, after all. I don't want to sound overly critical, either.. being overcautious is better than just throwing faulty software on people's machines.. it's just taking way longer than is needed,,

Well, it may have gone like this: D* asks Tivo to write 6.2. When it was delivered, D* has some issues and asks Tivo to fix. Tivo says that 6.2 is fully compliant with what D* asked for in the first place and asks for additional money to make changes. D* refuses to pay, but still demands the "bug fixes". Then, for 3 months, they play a game of corporate chicken to see who blinks first.

You see, many times things get delayed for entirely non-technical reasons. If you don't believe this, try working in any Fortune 500 company for a few months.
peterl1365 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #37 (Print)
MikeHDTulsa

Just got the update in Tulsa, but now I have to wait for tomorrow to play with it.
MikeHDTulsa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #38 (Print)
krsjuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbristow
Just as I suspected: the 16th rolled along, but 6.2 didn't! I knew it wouldn't happen. I fully expect it to take well into July for it to get to my Hughes DVR-80. I really don't see WHY they have to "roll" it out slowly. Just send the phone message to restart the machine with new software supposedly already on the drive and it's done. Why take MONTHS to get around the country when everyone could get it the same day?
krsjuan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 01:05 AM   #39 (Print)
gschrock

Big grinning Tivo guy with an installing update note . While I may eventually hack it to use HMO stuff, personally, just adding folders for me will be nice.

gschrock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 01:45 AM   #40 (Print)
RonP

Quote:

This is the funniest, and most misinformed, comment about software development I've read in a long, long, time!

Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 AM   #41 (Print)
kec789

In Utah here...forced a call and got the update. Things noticeably quicker now....
kec789 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:57 AM   #42 (Print)
sneagle
Addicted Member

I just got home. Forced call on all three boxes. My original (but modified) box got the update. Not the other two. I guess I will try again later today.

sneagle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 03:01 AM   #43 (Print)
mike1977

Forced one after it got done processing the usual 2-2:30 download...and
mike1977 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 07:06 AM   #44 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:

<snip>

Are you channeling Oknarf?

6.2 = faster EVERYTHING (not just menus ), folders, and all of the code required for a DTiVo to run MRV/HMO.

For the first time ever, every DTiVo in the field will be MRV/HMO capable (without hacking, even) -- should DTV ever decided to "throw the switch".

My guess is that even though the MRV/HMO code is coming down "inactive" for us, DTV probably spent a fair amount of time testing it out, adding to the time it took to get this update into production. It's too bad that the beta-testers are under non-disclosure agreements.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 07:21 AM   #45 (Print)
WeBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat
Are you channeling Oknarf?

6.2 = faster EVERYTHING (not just menus ), folders, and all of the code required for a DTiVo to run MRV/HMO.

For the first time ever, every DTiVo in the field will be MRV/HMO capable (without hacking, even) -- should DTV ever decided to "throw the switch".

My guess is that even though the MRV/HMO code is coming down "inactive" for us, DTV probably spent a fair amount of time testing it out, adding to the time it took to get this update into production. It's too bad that the beta-testers are under non-disclosure agreements.

Not every Tivo. Don't forget about the HR10-250's. It's looking like we will never see it.
WeBoat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #46 (Print)
kturcotte

Is there any sort of order that they're doing the updates? Older/first receivers activated get it first, newer receivers get it first, or is it just completely random?
kturcotte is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #47 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHDTulsa
Just got the update in Tulsa, but now I have to wait for tomorrow to play with it.
Just restart your receiver.

Quick Edit--Never mind. I just noticed that you wrote at 1:56 and were now going to bed. How many weeks did you sit up forcing calls until you dould finally rest?
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #48 (Print)
mattg

Question...

If my box updates today, and I decide to go back to my original 40GB drive to upgrade again onto the 160GB (to get the full space), how long will it take until the 40GB gets the 6.2 upgrade as well - so I can use the full 160.
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #49 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

should happen immediately Matt.
The update isn't tied to the HD.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #50 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBoat
Not every Tivo. Don't forget about the HR10-250's. It's looking like we will never see it.

Thanks -- forgot about the HR10-250's.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #51 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

The switched has been flipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its attacking me!!!! My Dtivo!!!!!!!!!!
Its alive!!!! ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #52 (Print)
ddobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtar
The switched has been flipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its attacking me!!!! My Dtivo!!!!!!!!!!
Its alive!!!! ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All four of mine are apparently still napping. My switch hasn't been flipped and my Tivo's are sitting quietly by instead of attacking me. Perhaps I should provoke them by poking at them with a stick?

No apple pies either (see other thread )

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
ddobson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #53 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:

I mean, there aren't many types of directivos.. the main difference among them is the recording capacity.

Once you have it working for the Hughes DVR, for instance, you have it working for ALL Hughes DVR's, because all of them have identical hardware.

Perhiperals are irrelevant.

The remote... okay that is a Perhiperal...

The Multiswitch, and the Integrated Multiswitch are integral parts of a DirecTV setup.

When they rolled out 3.1d certain multiswitch brands, and certain setups, failed MISERABLY, do to the code change. DirecTV ended up replacing a good amount of units before they found the problem and got us the 3.1e version.

If you do something on the code on the unit, and it messes up the signal getting to the multiswitch. BOOM you have an issue.

Same in the PC world... You can have IDENTICAL DELL units, but one of them has a updated mouse. Doesn't need a different driver, just has an updated mouse... Software update, could cause that mouse to go bonkers and freeze up the system. Sure Perhiperals do matter when testing... not a lot, but they have to be considered.

Here at work, (software development/IT department). We spend almost at least 30percent of our projects TESTING the software.... Why.... You have the greatest product in the world, but it is not the features that the users remember... it is that one annoying bug that causes them to lose their work, breakdown, or just have to do an extra step.....

Getting rid of the bugs and issues PRIOR to release, may take extra time, but SAVES time and MONEY down from trying to FIX it later...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #54 (Print)
jpm37
Rembrandt Q Einstein

Forced a call last night, first in 275 days, and got the 'pending restart'. Got a little too excited about my pending Tivo 6.2 upgrade. But after my other DTivo was ruined/replaced because of the 3.1d software problems, I decided to unplug my other Hughes box with the additional HDD, because I DID NOT want to have to replace that one. Long story short, I plugged the upgraded box in last night and got the pending restart, got the installing new software screen, and started to smile. Turns out it was just the upgrade from 3.1c to 3.1e.

Not in a big rush to get 6.2, but with all the talk about it on here yesterday, I figured I'd just give it a shot. I'll just wait for the next scheduled call.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #55 (Print)
mattg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman2k3
should happen immediately Matt.
The update isn't tied to the HD.

So if I swap the HD to the original with a previous software version, it will immediately download and install the newest version (if I force a call), even though I already downloaded and installed it once?
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #56 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

yes
if your unit is supposed to have the software and it doesn't, it will be downloaded and installed.
This is tied to your service number.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #57 (Print)
kschauwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg
So if I swap the HD to the original with a previous software version, it will immediately download and install the newest version (if I force a call), even though I already downloaded and installed it once?

Expect a long Phone call thou.....

"If It's Not a Tivo, Then It's Just a PVR"
kschauwe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #58 (Print)
kr88

NYC....Got it today on one box....the other did not....forced both calls...
kr88 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #59 (Print)
manhole

Perhaps when you guys post that you got the update you can specify the model of your Tivo also. I have a Samsung 40GB model and still have not received the update.
manhole is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #60 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

manhole
It's completely random.