TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #31 (Print)
bv1187
CableHater
 
bv1187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to bv1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
See the R15 in October Thread
Or the
I played with the R15 for three hours.

It was stated by a couple people that have seen or played with the beta units.

I see, thanx for the info.......

__________________
"What We Do in Life Echos Through Eternity"

Phillips DSR708(D*)80hr
R-10 70hr
R-15 100hr
bv1187 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #32 (Print)
herdfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hurricane, WV
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
I love how people think business works

Please enlighten us as to how it actually works.

Of course, if you have some insider info that D* might be considering renewing with TiVo, please by all means share it. Otherwise, I will tend to beleive what I have read in business publications that the deal between D* and TiVo will end on February 28, 2007.

And since D* is launching ads for their new DVR, I can guess that the TiVo boxes will be available on a request only basis, no wait, that's not a guess, Chase Cary said so.

So what exactly does TiVo have to lose?
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #33 (Print)
Jnetty99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oceanside, NY
Posts: 91
So what should I do?
I have no DVR yet, all I have is regular DirecTV.

I was planning on getting a Dual Tuner Tivo hopefully by the end of the month.
Some are telling me I should get the Tivo not through DirecTV but I donít want to pay full price for it.
Also I would need DirecTV to send a tech to setup the two lines required for the Dual DVR.
I obviously donít want their new product because Iím sure the software will be clumsy and not TIVO.

If I canít get it all I can say is oh well but I would never leave DirecTV for CableÖ

Last edited by Jnetty99 : 10-10-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Jnetty99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #34 (Print)
Kanyon71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnetty99
So what should I do?
I have no DVR yet, all I have is regular DirecTV.

I was planning on getting a Dual Tuner Tivo hopefully by the end of the month.
Some are telling me I should get the Tivo not through DirecTV but I donít want to pay full price for it.
Also I would need DirecTV to send a tech to setup the two lines required for the Dual DVR.
I obviously donít want their new product because Iím sure the software will be clumsy and not TIVO.

If I canít get it all I can say is oh well but I would never leave DirecTV for CableÖ


I am not sure who all has them in stock still (though its said they are still being made) but you could walk into Circuit City or Best Buy and pick one up. The rebate should still stand. The bad part with getting it directly from D* has always been it's a crap shoot as to exactly what box you would end up with, they don't guarantee you and specific box.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #35 (Print)
dagap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 1,147
Most important for me would be the ability to increase recording capacity.

If I can't slap in a bigger hard drive then no thanks.
dagap is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #36 (Print)
Jnetty99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oceanside, NY
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
I am not sure who all has them in stock still (though its said they are still being made) but you could walk into Circuit City or Best Buy and pick one up. The rebate should still stand. The bad part with getting it directly from D* has always been it's a crap shoot as to exactly what box you would end up with, they don't guarantee you and specific box.


Best Buy states they have them maybe in store.
I still would need to get the double line fixed. You think DirecTV be happy to set that up, after they find out i didnt get the unit from them?

Also the Rebate seems shaddy, if you are already a customer. First the link states HD and HD-DVR and then it has the following clauses
Quote:
Offer valid between 07/31/05 and 11/05/05 for customers who activate DIRECTV DVR service and purchase 24 consecutive months (without interruption) of any TOTAL CHOICE programming package ($41.99/mo. or above)
Jnetty99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #37 (Print)
ssstivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsChargers
I'll never understand the emphasis some put on this little feature. I have it enabled, but never use it...

I'd much rather hit FFx2 and play when I see the show come on. With 30second skip I can skip 20-30 seconds into the return which can potentially cause the missing/spoiling of a plot point, etc.

Plus, while loathe most commercials, especially during football, many times glossing over commercials also causes me to miss programming ads for shows/events I may actually want to see...at least with FF I can say "hey wait, what was that" and back up...

At first I didn't see the big deal about the 30 second skip, but now I use it all the time. It's great for NFL games. If you hit it after a play is over it jumps foward 30 seconds and the players are lined up for the next play. I also prefer it for blowing through commercials, too.
ssstivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #38 (Print)
Kanyon71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnetty99
Best Buy states they have them maybe in store.
I still would need to get the double line fixed. You think DirecTV be happy to set that up, after they find out i didnt get the unit from them?

Also the Rebate seems shaddy, if you are already a customer. First the link states HD and HD-DVR and then it has the following clauses


I'm not sure if BB sets up an installer to come out or not.

The rebate should be fine many people here have used them to get a free unit.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #39 (Print)
john-duncan-yoyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NoVa near DC
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
I'm not sure if BB sets up an installer to come out or not.

The rebate should be fine many people here have used them to get a free unit.

I got an installer through BB years ago. Don't remember if they were free but they came out in two days and did a decent job.

__________________
John Duncan Yoyo
---------------------o)
john-duncan-yoyo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #40 (Print)
austinsho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: austin TX usa
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsChargers
I'll never understand the emphasis some put on this little feature. I have it enabled, but never use it...


Well, briefly, because there's no quicker way to skip through a commercial break and not have to pay attention to the nonsense that they're trying to sell me. I don't have to concentrate on the screen at all, just hit the button four times and boom, you're out of it.

And as far as actually finding something in a commercial break that I might want to watch/buy/whatever....I think that last happened back in 1968.

It's the only way, IMHO, to have ad-free TV, but if FF is better for you, that's a great thing!
austinsho is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #41 (Print)
dtremain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnetty99
Also the Rebate seems shaddy, if you are already a customer. First the link states HD and HD-DVR and then it has the following clauses
That concerned me too, but I bought it from Best Buy and just got the rebate the other day. So, not to worry.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #42 (Print)
ihsoy
Tivo Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Woodlands, TX USA
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnetty99
Also the Rebate seems shaddy, if you are already a customer. First the link states HD and HD-DVR and then it has the following clauses


I was concerned about this issue as well, but when I activated my newest DTiVo, DirecTV actually sent me the rebate form to send in.

I received my check about two weeks ago.

mike
ihsoy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #43 (Print)
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsChargers
I'll never understand the emphasis some put on this little feature. I have it enabled, but never use it...

I'd much rather hit FFx2 and play when I see the show come on. With 30second skip I can skip 20-30 seconds into the return which can potentially cause the missing/spoiling of a plot point, etc.

Plus, while loathe most commercials, especially during football, many times glossing over commercials also causes me to miss programming ads for shows/events I may actually want to see...at least with FF I can say "hey wait, what was that" and back up...



Its all about speed baby. 30 sec. skip and 7 sec. rewind is much faster than using the FF key. I despise FF. Sometimes I have to try three times to get it to stop where I want it to.

__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #44 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bend, OR, USA
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshinnick
Now, if anyone came up with a *true* commercial skip...wow. Press a button, skip to the beginning of the show's return. Now that'd be "hot"....
They did, it is called ReplayTV (which is another brand of DVR that has been out about 6+ years).

If you don't use 30-second skip, I guess you don't watch football. 30-second skip is PERFECT for both College and NFL football. I can watch all of the plays in a game and instead of wasting 3+ hours, I can watch a football game in an hour or so, depending upon the number of plays and if it goes into overtime. What a major time saver. I could use FF, but I find it to be clumsy, old fashion, and a pain in the neck to use. I used it before 30-second skip came out, but once I got use to 30-second skip, there is no way I am going to use FF except in rare cases.

But then again, each to their own.

__________________
Orig Join Date: 5/2000
Sony SVR-2000 3.0 5/23/2000
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2 HMO/MRV
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #45 (Print)
Jnetty99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oceanside, NY
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtremain
That concerned me too, but I bought it from Best Buy and just got the rebate the other day. So, not to worry.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsoy
I was concerned about this issue as well, but when I activated my newest DTiVo, DirecTV actually sent me the rebate form to send in.

I received my check about two weeks ago.

mike


Thank you also.

Maybe i'll use my AA miles to buy it at best buy and then just activate it and use one tuner for now and then worry about the dual part afterwards.
Jnetty99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #46 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnetty99
Maybe i'll use my AA miles to buy it at best buy and then just activate it and use one tuner for now and then worry about the dual part afterwards.


Hmmm, they hand out MILES for going to those meetings???? Maybe I'll take up drinking!!!

__________________
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #47 (Print)
Jnetty99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oceanside, NY
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf
Hmmm, they hand out MILES for going to those meetings???? Maybe I'll take up drinking!!!


Oh yeah, you should see what you get at the Heroin meetings.

(American Airlines =AA)
Jnetty99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #48 (Print)
wilsonjd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rhinebeck, NY
Posts: 15
Back on the original topic.

The R15 is on the BestBuy.com website:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=1122654459818

It says "Coming Soon"

feature:

* Browse up to 14 days of programming on the advanced program guide

* 100GB hard drive that allows you to digitally record up to 100 hours of DIRECTV programming

* Dual tuners let you record 2 shows simultaneously, or watch one while recording the other; convenient one-touch recording

Pause live TV and use rewind, instant replay and slow motion on live or recorded TV

Automatically record your shows, even if the time or day changes, without recording reruns

Find and record DIRECTV programming based on your favorite actors, directors, teams or hobbies

Dolby Digital-compatible for rich, immersive sound

Dolby Digital optical output, 2 sets of A/V outputs, phone jack, RF output with CH 3/4 switch, S-video output and 2 satellite-in connectors

1 USB 2.0 port for future accessories and video-on-demand features, when implemented

Universal IR remote included
wilsonjd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #49 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnetty99
(American Airlines =AA)



I know, but that's not funny!!

__________________
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #50 (Print)
Kevin L
Registered User
 
Kevin L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff
I'm thinking that TiVo needs to roll out an ad campaign of their own touting the advantages of a REAL TiVo. I can see people calling up and ordering the DirecTV DVR thinking they're getting a TiVo based on their friends etc, and they get an R15 instead. When things don't work like they've been told, they'll take out their anger against TiVo because they won't know any difference.
Good luck. I'd love to see an EFFECTIVE advertising campaign showing the value of TiVo over the R15. It's hard enough convincing people that DVRs have a value over VCRs, much less trying to explain the differences between DVRs.

__________________
Kevin
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #51 (Print)
Kevin L
Registered User
 
Kevin L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho
If it doesn't have 30-second skip, it's just a hard drive in a box.
Wow, if you think 30-second skip is what makes a DVR special, you're not using a DVR properly.

I have 30-second skip programmed in my TiVos, but if it couldn't be done any longer, it wouldn't be the end of the world. FF works as well or better than 30-second skip, and it's what I use more often.

__________________
Kevin
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #52 (Print)
Kevin L
Registered User
 
Kevin L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
Tha'ts the real deal breaker for me. Not being able to buffer both tuners at the same time is just plain stupid.
Hi, Jim.

From a design point I'd say it's stupid, since it could be easily implemented. For me, though, I rarely use it so won't miss it if it's gone.

__________________
Kevin
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #53 (Print)
Kevin L
Registered User
 
Kevin L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshinnick
Agreed. I activated 30-second skip once, played with it for maybe a minute or two, and turned it back off. Never played with it since. 2xFF works quite well for me.

Now, if anyone came up with a *true* commercial skip...wow. Press a button, skip to the beginning of the show's return. Now that'd be "hot"....
Will never happen, but I agree, that would be hot!

__________________
Kevin
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #54 (Print)
Kevin L
Registered User
 
Kevin L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan
So what exactly does TiVo have to lose?
A lot of advertising dollars on an ad that could be ineffective.

Let's remember, unless I've missed something, the Comcast deal is just a deal. I don't believe you can get a TiVo/Comcast box, can you?

__________________
Kevin
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #55 (Print)
Kevin L
Registered User
 
Kevin L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagap
Most important for me would be the ability to increase recording capacity.

If I can't slap in a bigger hard drive then no thanks.
Now that's something I would miss. All my DVRs are upgraded with larger and/or multi-drives.

__________________
Kevin
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #56 (Print)
Kevin L
Registered User
 
Kevin L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
They did, it is called ReplayTV (which is another brand of DVR that has been out about 6+ years).

If you don't use 30-second skip, I guess you don't watch football. 30-second skip is PERFECT for both College and NFL football. I can watch all of the plays in a game and instead of wasting 3+ hours, I can watch a football game in an hour or so, depending upon the number of plays and if it goes into overtime. What a major time saver. I could use FF, but I find it to be clumsy, old fashion, and a pain in the neck to use. I used it before 30-second skip came out, but once I got use to 30-second skip, there is no way I am going to use FF except in rare cases.

But then again, each to their own.
I have to agree with that. I do use 30-second in football and baseball games. FF almost every other time.

__________________
Kevin
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #57 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic
 
jrinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hollister, CA (about 90 miles S of SF)
Posts: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonjd
Back on the original topic.

The R15 is on the BestBuy.com website:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=1122654459818

It says "Coming Soon"

feature:

* Browse up to 14 days of programming on the advanced program guide

* 100GB hard drive that allows you to digitally record up to 100 hours of DIRECTV programming

* Dual tuners let you record 2 shows simultaneously, or watch one while recording the other; convenient one-touch recording

Pause live TV and use rewind, instant replay and slow motion on live or recorded TV

Automatically record your shows, even if the time or day changes, without recording reruns

Find and record DIRECTV programming based on your favorite actors, directors, teams or hobbies

Dolby Digital-compatible for rich, immersive sound

Dolby Digital optical output, 2 sets of A/V outputs, phone jack, RF output with CH 3/4 switch, S-video output and 2 satellite-in connectors

1 USB 2.0 port for future accessories and video-on-demand features, when implemented

Universal IR remote included



Being that FF is such an important feature, I wonder why it's not specifically mentioned here?

__________________
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others; a fool, from his own.
Oh, and wise men also religiously read The Neurotic Highway!
jrinck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #58 (Print)
peteypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 416
Drumroll pleaseee... still a pic of the Tivo machine on directv.com.
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #59 (Print)
Tim32672
Just me!
 
Tim32672's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 52
Send a message via Yahoo to Tim32672
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrinck
Being that FF is such an important feature, I wonder why it's not specifically mentioned here?



I have noticed that all DVR'S don't mention the FF Button... something about not upsetting advertisers and FF past the commercials...

__________________
What in the heck does the window button do???
Tim32672 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #60 (Print)
Todd
Lost
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
Tha'ts the real deal breaker for me. Not being able to buffer both tuners at the same time is just plain stupid.

Wow, I didn't know that. That's just bizarre and totally stupid. I hope they do a better job on the home media center....

Todd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoģ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index