THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #1 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

BT Broadband TV stuff

Quote:
BT has selected Philips to supply set-top boxes for the service it is launching next year to rival Sky and NTL/Telewest.

Each Philips set-top box will include a personal video recorder able to store 80 hours of programming, similar to Sky+.

The service will allow BT customers to gain access to more than 30 digital terrestrial channels, video-on-demand, catch-up TV and interactive services.

It will be available without a subscription fee to BT customers, but will not be available in the UK until late summer or early autumn 2006.

Interesting. The TV/PVR landscape could look very different this time next year.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #2 (Print)
cyril

It all depends on pricing.
As it is subscription free, I will guess it is a pay per view system.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #3 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril
It all depends on pricing.

"considerably cheaper" than £160 >
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/...1601285,00.html

For some comments in the main forum and a link to the BT press release see >
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...8&&#post3390778
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #4 (Print)
mrtickle

Cost is "£1 - £3 per programme" according to
http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/...27/nphone27.xml
If that's for VOD and "catching up" broadcasts then I'm glad I have a TiVo, because I've timeshifted over 15,000 programmes since I bought it. Still I'm sure plenty of mugs will get one.
If it's for new movies then that'd be different.
mrtickle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-27-2005, 02:47 PM   #5 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickle
Cost is "£1 - £3 per programme" according to
http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/...27/nphone27.xml
If that's for VOD and "catching up" broadcasts then I'm glad I have a TiVo, because I've timeshifted over 15,000 programmes since I bought it.

It seems to be for programmes in addition to those you can timeshift from the built in Freeview tuner and in addition to those programmes on the central server 7 day archive.
Quote:
Using a standard 2MB broadband telephone connection, owners of the boxes will be able to choose from a library of old films, television shows and music.

Each programme is likely to cost between £1 and £3 to watch and can be paused, rewound or fast forwarded like a conventional video or DVD.

BT will also offer a selection of programmes from the previous week’s broadcast schedules. They are likely to include shows from all the major digital and non-digital channels such as BBC1, ITV1 and Sky 1.

TiVo technology is becoming a two-legged stool, especially now that the Netflix tie-in has hit the buffers.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:15 AM   #6 (Print)
cyril

Of course VOD will eventually supplant Hard-disk based PVRs.

However, given the power and flexibility that TiVo currently has, VOD has got to be damn cheap to make me move over as my ten TiVo system's running cost is only about £240 per year in electricity costs and opportunity interest costs.

Then again if you include the amount of space they take up I guess I would have to add another £100 per year due to the extortionate price of central London property.

We can finally tell SWMBO that a plasma or LCD TV is now cheaper than a large CRT in central London due to space savings!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #7 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril
However, given the power and flexibility that TiVo currently has, VOD has got to be damn cheap to make me move over as my ten TiVo system's running cost is only about £240 per year in electricity costs and opportunity interest costs.

Yeah, but in spite of all those TiVos, I seem to recall that very recently you were asking for a copy of '49 UP' because you hadn't recorded it.

Perhaps BT's business plan is better than yours.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:57 AM   #8 (Print)
cyril

I hadnt recorded it because I didnt know I wanted to watch it!

My colleague later requested a copy, and I checked TiVo's suggestions, but TiVo unfortunately had probably either not suggested it or it had been a suggestion but already deleted weeks later!

So VOD would be better in those situations.

I require suggestios to record stuff I did not know about. A VOD service would complement quite well.

So I will be getting VOD as well for 2 or 3 programmes a year..

Colleagues and friends request programmes from me occasionally, but unless we have identical tastes, it is probably only 10% likely that one of my TiVos may have the programme.

UPDATE

Now got Homechoice, and it only provides 7 days previous showings for a limited number of programmes, so the BT VOD looks like a far more useful product.

TiVo is much better than Homechoice of course
Sadly, I dont have the disk space (yet) to record every programme shown on every channel over the past month. If BT provides such a service it will be great if the price is right.

I guess my TiVos record 80,000 shows a year if I had them switched on all the time. As I turn most off during summer, I guess maybe 40,000 a year on average.

I am getting homechoice VOD re-installed next week, so that will reduce the number of programmes that 'I didnt know I wanted to record but weeks later wanted to & was not recorded ' down to about 1 or 2 per year.

Last edited by cyril : 11-06-2005 at 03:13 PM.
cyril is offline Report Bad Post Report Post