Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2002, 11:44 AM   #61 (Print)
jbaum

Angry Supra Express Modem

I'm using a Supra Express modem 56e and I can get it to dial, but I get an error back on the tivo player "Failed. Service not answering" I can heard the tones after it dials, but it dies.

I put in the ",#319", but in testing the new prefix is where it dies.

The modem string I used is:
ATM0&D0&K0&W0

I also reset the modem back to the factory settings and tried again, no luck.

Help?

Thanks.
jbaum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-28-2002, 10:22 PM   #62 (Print)
Tuckee

jbaum,

Try different baud rates, and look here for AT commands for your modem.

Unfortunately, it may not work, if not, I would just get another modem.

Tuckee
Tuckee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #63 (Print)
Tuckee

jbaum,

After reading the manual, I may have found your problem, it appears that your model does not have NVRAM, and therefore cannot save a setup in nonvolatile memory. You might get it to work if you use &W instead of &W0, and don't unplug it after you do this and move it to your Tivo. A UPS might make that an easier process depending on the proximity of you Tivo to your computer.

Tuckee

Last edited by Tuckee : 07-30-2002 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:34 AM   #64 (Print)
TARNAT

I thought I had got mine working (on external modem)... it did test call, then dialed in and got daily updates... but I cannot get it to do the daily call again. It will perfomr the test call, but not the daily call. I get a "failed, service not answering" error message.
any ideas? (using US Robotics 28.8 modem, dip switch 1 and 6 down).
TARNAT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-29-2002, 10:45 AM   #65 (Print)
tivotoom

Thanks Dan203! It worked like a charm. I used a Hayes 33.6

Modem command is the only tricky part. I had to use the K0 command instead. Some users may not be comfortable or capable of doing it, especially since their are so many different types modems out there. Perhaps the 9th Tee folks could put together a simple "plug it in" solution based on your work. Then there would be a low cost solution that enables the average user to keep their original Tivo and not have to shell out a $100 bucks.

Thanks again
tivotoom is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-29-2002, 07:24 PM   #66 (Print)
TARNAT

Well I am making progress. I have found that the tivo will not make a 2nd call - only the first one successfully, be it a test call or a daily call. To make another successful call, I must reset or power off/on the tivo unit, then it will make another successful call. I have tried turning on/off the "detect phone available' and "detect dial tone" options to no avail.
TARNAT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-30-2002, 10:02 AM   #67 (Print)
bilbomims

list of modems that have worked

Hey Tivo Toom,
You said you were successful with the Hayes 33.6
Is this the same model?
Hayes External 33.6 business modem. 33.6 V.34 + Fax + Voice
Model # 5345US
Thanks

I'm going to buy a used external modem for my Tivo and want to make sure I get one that will work. So far, it looks like the
US Robotics and the Hayes modems work.
I suppose any external modem would work as long as the correct
hyperterminal strings were used.
bilbomims is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-30-2002, 10:54 AM   #68 (Print)
tivotoom

bilbomims:

I used the same model number you have listed Hayes Acura 336 #5345US

There are no dip switches to worry about. Using Hyperterminal, I simply reset the modem using the ATZ command then issued this command: AT&D0&K0&R1&W0 (0=zero)

For some reason I couldn't get the modem volume down using the ATM0
command. So I just adjusted the volume in the control panel modem settings on my PC and that did the trick.

I set the Tivo dialing prefix to ,#319 (tells tivo to use serial port for modem)
Connected the modem serial cable to the Tivo supplied serial adapter cable and plugged it in. It worked on the very first try. (thanks to Dan203)

good luck
tivotoom is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-30-2002, 02:26 PM   #69 (Print)
bilbomims

Cool!! I just purchased the Hayes modem off of ebay for $14.99.
Thanks a lot. I was astounded at how much at $99 the 56k external
usr modems cost at wal-mart, bestbuy, and compusa.

I'll post a comment whenever I successfully download the guide data.
This is a great solution. My thanks to all the contributors of this thread.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:04 PM   #70 (Print)
1larryw

Re: External modem SUCCESS!!!

Finally found a use for the old practical peripherals 33.6 I had lying around. Sony no longer makes Tivo's, and wanted to charge me $150 to fix it. Two questions:

1. What speed is tivo's internal modem?
2. What is the proper xfer spped to set the modem to, and can you do it with an at command?

I have an SVR 2000 (series one) machine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Well thanks to a little help from spankspank I have successfully got a TiVo running 3.0 to use an external modem without any hacking!

The modem is a US Robotics Sportster 33.6. It's connected to the TiVos using the original TiVo serial cable and a RadioShack DB9 -> DB25 adapter. What I had to do to get it working was...
  • I connected it to a computer using the modems original serial cable.
  • I then sent it these commands AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W0 and AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W1 using hyper terminal, which disable DTR, RTS and flow control.
  • I disconnect it from the computer and connected it to the TiVo.
  • I then flipped the modem over and switched the "Terminal Override" dip switch to ON. (I had to do this because the TiVo would not connect to the modem otherwise)
  • I set the TiVo dial prefix to ,#319 and did the test call, which worked.
  • Then I tried a daily call which also completed, and just finished successfully loading the data.
I know the connection speed is slow (i.e. 19,400), but it successfully downloaded and indexed two days worth of data that it didn't have before.

Dan

P.S. I tried 38,400 and athough it completed a test call, it would not complete a daily call.
1larryw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-31-2002, 12:45 AM   #71 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Cool Re: Re: External modem SUCCESS!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1larryw
1. What speed is tivo's internal modem?
2. What is the proper xfer spped to set the modem to, and can you do it with an at command?

1) 33.6

2) No need. The modem should auto adjust to the speed the TiVo is set to. In your case you'll need to set the TiVo to 19.2 (,#319) because the next step up is 38.4 and that's faster then the maximum speed of your modem.

Don't worry about it though with regular daily downloads you'll probably never even notice the speed drop. The only time it might be noticeable is when it's downloading something big like new software, and that only happens maybe twice a year.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-31-2002, 02:45 AM   #72 (Print)
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Quote:
Any loss of data due to "no handshake" would not be the fault of the modem. It would be Tivo's inability to keep up with the stream of data transmitted to it.
Actually you have it backwards. The problem is the upstream, not the downstream. The lack of incoming flow control is most likely irrelevant, since the TiVo can process information coming in at 38400bps and has no need to slow it down.

The reason you need lower DTE rates is because the modem has no hardware way to tell TiVo "Hey this upstream channel is slower than you are sending information to me ... slow down!". Even a 56k modem has only a 28.8 upstream. Unless you can manage a V.92 connection that can upload continuously at 38400, you must select the lower DTE of 19200 since that's the only way to ensure that the data is going to make it accross the line when TiVo is sending at "full blast". No amount of buffer is going to change the fact that TiVo can send data faster than the upstream will allow.

Very cool that TiVo chose to "Un-support" this workaround.

If you can't seem to get a working init string, another option is to modify the serial cable. The only real "problem" here is that the modem thinks the terminal is disconnected, and that flow control is blocked. If you connect the modem's DSR pin to the DTR pin, and it's RTS pin to the CTS pin, the modem should operate OK at its factory default settings (just make sure to set the slower DTE for reasons above... don't want to trigger CTS to drop, that'd confuse the heck out of it.. LOL).

-- Rob

Last edited by DJRobX : 07-31-2002 at 02:52 AM.
DJRobX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-31-2002, 02:40 PM   #73 (Print)
cjalphonso

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by TARNAT
Well thanks for the help.. finally got my US Robotics 28.8 going and calling in. Please note on US Robotics dip 1 and dip 6 must be down. (this is posted but takes a lot of reading to find).

My question is this - if the power to the modem goes off, do I have to hook it up to the computer again to do the AT&D0&H0...etc input. I didn't quite understand how to set this up in the TIVO to download before it dials out. Can anybody clarify this ?? thx again.

I had to unplug my U.S. Robotics modem in order to move it to my living room. I did not have to resend any commands, I believe everything is in the dipswitches.
cjalphonso is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-31-2002, 03:19 PM   #74 (Print)
Airwolf

Send a message via ICQ to Airwolf Send a message via AIM to Airwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Airwolf
Has someone put together a FAQ on using External Modems? I've read all the posts and plan to set all this up next week (I work Thurs-Sun). I've got the modem (USR v.Everthing), hope to find the TiVo serial cables (I have NO idea where it is), and have no problem messing with AT commands (old SysOp days-- anyone remember GT Power?? )
Anyway, just like upgrading the HDs, it's always easier when a FAW is available -- is there one? Any location would be much appreciated!
Cheers!!
Airwolf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2002, 06:28 PM   #75 (Print)
epsilondelta

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuckee

I returned the Modem Blaster for a Best Data 56SX-92. It had a great on-line 240 page manual, and I was up and running in ten minutes. The string I used was:

ATM0&D0&K0&W0

I am able to connect at 38k, and could not be happier. Thanks to Dan, cjalphonso, and StanSimmons.

Tuckee,

This is the modem I have & I set it up with the above string. It fails, mostly with "service not answering;" though once I got as far as modem light flicker and "no dial tone."

This modem has no dip-switches, how did you deal with the Terminal Override & Carrier Detect settings?

I'm off to hunt for that manual, couldn't find it last time.

Thanks to you, Dan203 & all who are working on this problem; 2 months without data, but maybe getting closer!

epsilondelta
epsilondelta is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2002, 08:03 PM   #76 (Print)
JustAnotherTivo

Another Me Too...

Well, the other day, the unthinkable happened. I lost BOTH my TiVo's modems in ONE power surge. Ack!!! I know, I know, should have had them behind some kind of protection <D'OH>. I'm thinking of filing a class action lawsuit against TiVo for not preventing power surges

I didn't want to send my TiVos anywhere, and the 9thTee modem repair kit wasn't really an option as I always seem to mangle any type of surface mount repair I try. So I was about to get a TurboNet kit when I found this thread.

So, thanks to this thread, I dug up my old USR Courier modem, blew the dust off it, flipped a few dipswitches and bingo, works like a charm even at 38.4K.

Bouyed by the success, I decided to push my luck and build an RS232 splitter so I could get both TiVos running again. A few diodes and a couple of resistors later, and I've got both TiVos running off the same modem! As long as they don't try dialing in at the same time, I'm all set.
JustAnotherTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2002, 04:11 AM   #77 (Print)
spankspank

Quote:
Originally posted by DJRobX

If you can't seem to get a working init string, another option is to modify the serial cable. The only real "problem" here is that the modem thinks the terminal is disconnected, and that flow control is blocked. If you connect the modem's DSR pin to the DTR pin, and it's RTS pin to the CTS pin, the modem should operate OK at its factory default settings (just make sure to set the slower DTE for reasons above... don't want to trigger CTS to drop, that'd confuse the heck out of it.. LOL).

-- Rob

I agree, Rob. I think this cable would work without any modem changes. Maybe someone could test a cable like this and Mark at 9th Tee could have some adapters made up. The cable would look like this:

Modem(25 pin) -------- Tivo(9 pin)

2 ------------------------ 2
3 ------------------------ 3
7 ------------------------ 5
6-20 jumped
4-5 jumped

It's kind of a null modem cable with 2 and 3 straight through. Does anyone know if a cable like this is available somewhere?
spankspank is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2002, 02:36 PM   #78 (Print)
Tuckee

Quote:
Originally posted by epsilondelta

Tuckee,

This is the modem I have. . .
epsilondelta

I hope by that you mean that you have the Best Data 56SX-92 Modem and NOT the Modem Blaster?

If you have the Best Data Modem the manual is here actually there is a more detailed one somewhere, let me know if you need it and I will try to find it again, there is a link to it on the install CD, manual.

Quote:
This modem has no dip-switches, how did you deal with the Terminal Override & Carrier Detect settings?

I am far from a modem expert, but &D0 takes care to the DTR, my modem did not care about the CD. Once, the modem has dialed I think the DTR & CS are irrelevant and the only concern you have at that point are flow control & baud.

I have one other thought, if you have been using this modem for something else maybe other parameters have been saved under the W0 setup. You might want to try, to restore the factory settings(AT&F) and then save the string. Also, leave out the M0 (speaker off) until you get it working so that the sound can help you trouble shoot the problem, and turn down the speed to 9600 until you connect.

The Best Data that I used has been working for over week connecting every time.

Tuckee

Last edited by Tuckee : 08-02-2002 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:41 PM   #79 (Print)
BlueOtto

Hayes Accura 28.8

Has anyone else tried using the Hayes Accura 28.8.? I was able to dial out and seemingly connect, but not actually connect with Tivo (I forget the error off hand)... Ideas?
BlueOtto is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-03-2002, 05:37 PM   #80 (Print)
epsilondelta

Thanks Tuckee,

It isn't Modem Blaster, but closer look shows it's not exactly your model either: It's a 56X-2; not a .v92, sorry to mislead.

I did reset & entered your string; AT&V now reports &D0 &K0 &R1 are stored in W0; all other parameters are the factory defaults (&R1 is in fact the default.) I tried ,#396 and even ,#324.

But I still get nothing, not even flicker or speaker noise; so must be differences in modem.

I have a question in to their tech about terminal override, so will see.

The CD for this modem only has the terminal install program & a manual for it, but no link to a modem manual. I've been to the site you link above & durned if I can find a manual there, if you do happen to run across a link to it, I'd be grateful.

But don't waste time on it, mine's a different model & it's clear in this thread that some work & some don't.

The gods are just agin me, as I've known all along ....

epsdel
Old 08-03-2002, 09:35 PM   #81 (Print)
Tuckee

Here is the manual for the 56X-2, click on 'Modem commands' then 'Basic AT commands', However, I does not look like there is a lot of difference from my model. I'm not sure what tell you other than good luck. If that doesn't work, it might be easier to find a cheap, used, older USR modem. At least three people have had success with various USR models.

Tuckee
Old 08-04-2002, 06:39 AM   #82 (Print)
epsilondelta

Many thanks, Tuckee....I agree, nothing in that site on terminal override. If Best Data tech can't help, I'll look in to wiring a DB9 cable for the job.

Thanks again to you & all here for their trouble listening

epsdel
Old 08-04-2002, 12:52 PM   #83 (Print)
nsysblh

Extra setting for Sportster 33.6

Just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted settings here.

I had to add:

&N6

To the init string for the Sportster 33.6 to get it to work at 9600 baud (,#396 as the dialing prefix). That command limits the connect speed on the analog side to 9600. Apparently something was getting garbled when it connected higher. Just to allow some slower rates, I also went and added:

&U3

to allow any analog side rate from 2400-9600 to work. Just in case, I set:

&B1

to keep the serial port speed from changing with the analog side speed (I don't think it will in this case...so this may not even be necessary).
I also had a weirdo (preexisting) Y4 setting that kept me from saving (and using) a default profile...once I changed it to Y0, the following was all that was needed (for me):

ATY0
AT&F
ATM0&B1&N6&U3&W

If you want to try 19200:

Dialing prefix: ,#319

ATY0
AT&F
ATM0&B1&N7&U3&W

I'm still on the first call since the modem was fried, but it appears to be working...looks like the main download is finished, and I am uploading who know what now.

Brandon
nsysblh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2002, 06:04 PM   #84 (Print)
Airwolf

Send a message via ICQ to Airwolf Send a message via AIM to Airwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Airwolf
Well, no FAQ needed! I was finally able to get it all set up using an USR v.Everything EXT v90/x2. I was able to do a test call using ',#311' which I think uses 115,000, but was unable to get a download until I used ",#319" for 19,200.
I think this may be a problem with the connection to the server via our crappy phone lines! This was a huge help -- I didn't know that Sony stopped making TiVo's (another post), so it saved me a lot of $$$.
I would try my hand at making an FAQ if someone wanted to point me to the right place to post it....
Cheers, Ryan
Airwolf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2002, 08:32 AM   #85 (Print)
dgrover

Tivo->modem cable

Philips HDR312, no modifications, version 3 software.
A common story: after a thunderstorm, no dialtone.

I did the tests, and replaced all the transistors & U10, U14 using modem repair kit from 9thTee. (Electric Legs was helpful, and got me a kit quickly.) I might have missed a connection, but they looked good under a loupe. No dialtone.

I had bought a 14.4k/Fax Viva external modem just in case. ($5 at the local college salvage.) Wired up a cable as follows:

Modem Tivo
2 "TD" <--- tip
3 "RD" ---> ring
7 Gnd <--> shield

4 "RTS" <--\
5 "CTS" ---/

6 "DSR" ---\
20 "DTR" <-/

The modem end is a db-25 male connector. The designations are for a "DCE" device, so the labels are correct--they're just backwards from a PC (a "DTE" device). I put the labels in quotes just as a reminder.

The Tivo end is a standard stereo 3.5mm plug. Radio Shack carries it. You can also just buy a 3.5mm stereo to stereo cable, and cut off one end which you'll connect to the db-25.

The modem had been used, so I hooked it up to a PC (it auto detected the baud rate) and restored the factory settings ("at&f"), turned off the speaker ("atm0"), and wrote the settings to profile location 0 ("at&w0"), then just for luck, set the default profile to 0 ("at&y0"), which strictly shouldn't be necessary.

With this cable, there is no need to fiddle with internal registers to ignore control flow, etc. If the modem has not been used, seems likely you could just use the cable and not have to restore the factory defaults--except for the atm0 command, which will turn off the speaker. (Otherwise, you'd hear your Tivo dialing at all hours.)

I used the dial prefix ",#396" for 9600 baud (since I did not see 14.4 supported). All calls went through fine--I've forced two updates in the last 24 hours.

Many thanks to the folks on the forum who pointed out the way.
dgrover is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2002, 08:51 AM   #86 (Print)
jeffshome

Thumbs up External modem required hacking

I have been able to get a 14 hour SA with a very dead modem working again. Here is what I learned.

This SA was hit by lighting and would not boot under version 2.0. It got stuck at "Almost there". Upon inspection the tops of several modem chips were blown off. This SA was shelved until I read that 3.0 could use the serial port.

I had to obtain a 3.0 image for the 14 hour SA and after imaging with mfstool 2.0 the SA booted. I tried to get a 14.4 US Robotics Sportser modem to work but my local pop would not support it. A test call and then the call to get the local phone numbers worked but my local pop required V.34 and hung up on the 14.4 modem.

The second modem I tried was a 28.8. It supports V.34 but the SA would not dial. Turns out the 28.8 was set to send number result codes instead of word result codes. TiVo would send "ATZ" and expected "OK". If it did not get "OK" it sent "+++ATH" thinking that it was still connected. I used the command "ATQ0V1X0" to "Q0" turn on result codes, "V1" send word codes & "X0" use basic result codes. I also sent the standard commands listed in this thread. The daily call completed and hung up but was not successful. It got stuck at loading data 80% or 85% and just sat there for days until I rebooted. The tclient log showed the following error:

Jul 23 12:17:45 (none) comm[106]: ModemImpl: EXP_TIMEOUT
Jul 23 12:17:45 (none) comm[106]: ModemImpl::LogStatistics Could not get modem stats. Trying 1 more time
Jul 23 12:17:57 (none) comm[106]: ModemImpl: EXP_TIMEOUT
Jul 23 12:28:00 (none) WatchdogAction[105]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 900 interval-secs
<…continued…>
Jul 23 21:49:29 (none) WatchdogAction[105]: WatchdogAction::Trigger: callActive for 34200 interval-secs

Seems the SA was still trying to access the dead modem even with ",#319". Searching the forums I found the following:

Since your modem is broken, you can just change the /dev entry for the modem to refer to the serial port.

mv cua1 cua1.orig
mknod cua1 c 5 67

I tried this and now the daily call and a test call completes successfully. I was only able to change /dev/hdc7 since I don't have a /dev/hdc4 after the restore.

I suspect that after a new software download I will once again have an original cua1 and will have to issue these commands again. Hopefully any new software will be changed to no longer try to access the internal modem when ",#319" is used. Hope this information helps in getting your external modem to work.

Old 08-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #87 (Print)
dgrover

addendum

In my previous post I noted I had tried the modem repair kit, but that hadn't solved it, and I went with the relatively easy external modem approach, which worked.

Before putting the top back on and delivering the Tivo to its owner (understandly relieved), I thought I'd take one more look at my soldering job. Well, I obviously missed something. I went over some pins on the newly installed ICs that looked the most suspicious, and--it works. At least a test call and a forced update both worked fine.

So, let the record show that, once properly soldered, the ElectricLegs/9thTee modem repair kit worked

Which means that I have a Tivo-to-modem cable that is no longer needed (described in previous post). I can drop that in the mail--along with the 14.4 Viva modem (use ",#396" in dial prefix)--to someone with a bad modem and who is not ready to do the solder job. (Electric Legs does do this modem repair for relatively cheap, though.) Email me at dgrover@redcedar.com. (First come, first served.) You'll need at least version 3 software, of course. Not guaranteed in the least, either
dgrover is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2002, 08:17 PM   #88 (Print)
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Me, too! (External modem success, that is.)

It was as simple as:

1) borrowing my sister-in-law's Zoom v.92 external faxmodem and DB-25 to DB-9 cable (she owed me...I fixed her PC about two months ago!),
2) *finding* my TiVo's serial cable (it was still in the box, in the storage closet!),
3) hyperterminal-ing a new string into the modem (ATM0&D0&K0&W0),
4) connecting the modem to TiVo,
5) changing the dial prefix to ",#319" (will try for a faster speed later),
6) and making a test call. Voila!

Forcing a daily call worked just great, too. Took about half an hour to download data.

I didn't want to send the SA back to Sony, because it had already been hacked (second drive...which is currently just jiggling around in there without a solid bracket), and because I didn't want to risk losing all of my recordings, etc. ElectricLegs' modem kit was a possibility, but I'm not good with a soldering iron yet, and I didn't want to be without TiVo if I sent it out to be repaired. The external modem solution was *perfect*!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

--Chris
Nihilator is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2002, 09:58 AM   #89 (Print)
bilbomims

Success!!, using tivotoom's setup up; worked on the first try. One hyperterminal command was all it took. No need for the adapter with the cord supplied with the hayes business modem.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:03 PM   #90 (Print)
bdkras

Re: Tivo->modem cable

I have a Philips DSR6000 DirecTv with TiVo receiver and the internal modem just went bad. I was about to make a serial cable and connect an external modem but wondered what I need to do in order to configure the receiver to use the external modem rather than the (broken) internal one. The DirecTV with TiVo receiver doesn't run v3.0. Most current version is 2.something. Read somewhere that 3.0 features actually bring the standalone TiVo boxes up to where 2.x is on my box. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to have my box recognize and use the external modem?? Many thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally posted by dgrover
Philips HDR312, no modifications, version 3 software.
A common story: after a thunderstorm, no dialtone.

I did the tests, and replaced all the transistors & U10, U14 using modem repair kit from 9thTee. (Electric Legs was helpful, and got me a kit quickly.) I might have missed a connection, but they looked good under a loupe. No dialtone.

I had bought a 14.4k/Fax Viva external modem just in case. ($5 at the local college salvage.) Wired up a cable as follows:

Modem Tivo
2 "TD" <--- tip
3 "RD" ---> ring
7 Gnd <--> shield

4 "RTS" <--\
5 "CTS" ---/

6 "DSR" ---\
20 "DTR" <-/

The modem end is a db-25 male connector. The designations are for a "DCE" device, so the labels are correct--they're just backwards from a PC (a "DTE" device). I put the labels in quotes just as a reminder.

The Tivo end is a standard stereo 3.5mm plug. Radio Shack carries it. You can also just buy a 3.5mm stereo to stereo cable, and cut off one end which you'll connect to the db-25.

The modem had been used, so I hooked it up to a PC (it auto detected the baud rate) and restored the factory settings ("at&f"), turned off the speaker ("atm0"), and wrote the settings to profile location 0 ("at&w0"), then just for luck, set the default profile to 0 ("at&y0"), which strictly shouldn't be necessary.

With this cable, there is no need to fiddle with internal registers to ignore control flow, etc. If the modem has not been used, seems likely you could just use the cable and not have to restore the factory defaults--except for the atm0 command, which will turn off the speaker. (Otherwise, you'd hear your Tivo dialing at all hours.)

I used the dial prefix ",#396" for 9600 baud (since I did not see 14.4 supported). All calls went through fine--I've forced two updates in the last 24 hours.

Many thanks to the folks on the forum who pointed out the way.
bdkras is offline Report Bad Post Report Post