Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2002, 07:03 AM   #1 (Print)
swissguy

TiVo overseas

Hi everybody, this is my first post. I'm thinking of getting a TiVo, however it's not straightforward. As my username suggests I live outside the UK, but I receive Sky Digital over here. I have three options as far as I can see.

1) Get a UK TiVo without subscription - Is this worth it ?

2) Get a UK TiVo with subscription, but can the downloads down the phone line be done from outside the UK ?

3) Get a Swiss TiVo (if they exist), but could I then get Sky Digital programme info from the telephone downloads ?

Thanks for any help, excuse my ignorance as i'm new to all of this and I didn't find the info I needed on FAQ.
swissguy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2002, 07:13 AM   #2 (Print)
GarySargent

I'm sure one of our growing internation users will post but basically you want to get a TiVo subscription (not worth it without) and find a local UUNET POP number - set TiVo to use this and you just pay local rate calls.

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.
GarySargent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2002, 07:18 AM   #3 (Print)
swissguy

Thanks. The trouble is I have a Philips TV and I just read that very long thread about problems caused by TiVo !
Old 03-22-2002, 07:50 AM   #4 (Print)
BaggieBoy
Large Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swissguy
Thanks. The trouble is I have a Philips TV and I just read that very long thread about problems caused by TiVo !

I have a Philips TV and have no problems whatsoever!

Old 03-22-2002, 09:33 AM   #5 (Print)
Tom123

As Gary said: get a UK TiVo (there are no Swiss TiVos) connect it to your phoneline (you need a new a/c cable though) and dial in through a local UUNet Popnumber. However you can only use it with SkyDigital AFAIK.
I'm in Germany and use my TiVo with SkyDigital...works perfectly.

Is it worth it ? Well, I'd say it's the reinvention of television

Old 03-22-2002, 10:07 AM   #6 (Print)
hamdxer

To the Swiss Guy, well without a Tivo subsription you may as well go back to a VCR.
I live in spain and stared out using out a normal access number for Tivo
ie UK access No. plus 8450885336, this worked well,and I only connected the telephone cord every 10 days to down-load the program listings,if I found the listings sparse, I check on www.digiguide.com for their listings.
I have now started to use the UUnet number and this also works.
in your case try the following Uunet no. 0842 111902,, 0808 1050005
I think this is the UUnet No. for Switzerland.have fun. hamdxer@terra.es
hamdxer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2002, 11:25 AM   #7 (Print)
swissguy

Thanks guys, you've convinced me (if there's no problem with Philips TVs). So next question is how to get a box. Should I pick one up next time I'm in the UK or will some companies send abroad ? Also, how does it work with the subscription ?
Old 03-22-2002, 01:20 PM   #8 (Print)
Tom123

Your best bet would be to pick one up in the UK next time you're there. Or let a friend pick one up for you. You'll need an UK address to subscribe though (a friend's will do just fine). AFAIR TiVo don't register subscriptions to mainland addresses. Anyone knows if that policy has changed ?
Pay your subscription through your credit card (either monthly or lifetime) and you're all set.
You could use companies which do sell them abroad, but it's more expensive that way.

Old 03-22-2002, 02:24 PM   #9 (Print)
mrtickle

Quote:
Thanks guys, you've convinced me (if there's no problem with Philips TVs).

There IS a problem with SOME Philips TVs!

Quote:

So next question is how to get a box.

Nope, slow down! The next question is to post your model number of TV here, and see if any Philips user has the UK version of that model and see if they have problems. Only certain models seem have the problem.

HTH
mrtickle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2002, 03:39 PM   #10 (Print)
swissguy

It's a 32PW9544. That's a 32 inch 100Hz widescreen, I like it a lot !
If it's safe I could pick up a box over Easter.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:20 PM   #11 (Print)
hamdxer

Tom113.Has given you the answer re obtaining a Tivo.your best plan of action is to bring your satellite receiver to the UK, find a uk Friend who already has sky digital, turn up at his door with a few bottles of wine, and
having prchased a nice new shiny TIVO,apply without delay to get the Tivo activated,you can then use his post code, and with any luck you should have the two units working together, I think this is a better sloution than taking a untested unit back to switzerland, if you can manage this you will have two to 3 weeks programming installed, and then you can decide which method to use to download future programs, don't go to dealers who will send the unit abroard for you, last year a local dealer here in Spain was asking £600 for Tivos.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:07 AM   #12 (Print)
ctyeweeds

One word of warning to Swissguy. I have used Tivo in Denmark for about 1 year (via UUNET) with absolutely no problems until 2.5.5 came along.

In 2.5.5 there are changes to the way the modem works (see the very long thread on cordless telephone extensions) and from the day 2.5.5 was downloaded I have been unable to get guide data via the modem. Maybe I'm just unlucky - but you obviously won't get much sympathy from either Tivo or your local telephone company! The fixes suggested in the forum didn't work for me out here.

In the end I installed TivoNet as I have ADSL (I was sort of meaning to get round to this anyway) but this requires you to have ADSL and a willingness to void warranties and open up the box and mess about with the innards! I had already upgraded the HD to 120GB

I would only consider buying a Tivo WITH subscription and then only for use with Sky Digital. Most European terrestrial channels have different sound encoding so you don't get sound on them (even if you do manual recordings - i.e. it's useless)

Tivo's really good - especially with the +1 hour CET time shift. I never watch live TV anymore.

For info on Sky Digital overseas try this link. Once installed you must NEVER call them from overseas. AFAIK Tivo have no problems with overseas users but they do require a UK address for registration.

Good luck! There's lot's of us in the UK forum who are overseas - Gary - maybe we should rename it to Tivo Europe . What about a section in the faq on this as I see the same questions come up time and again?
ctyeweeds is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-24-2002, 05:23 AM   #13 (Print)
GarySargent

I've added some info to the sticky FAQ. If you think there is anything incorrect or more info that can be added let me know.

Old 03-24-2002, 06:36 AM   #14 (Print)
ctyeweeds

FAQ looks good Gary.

Whilst on the topic of overseas Tivo, there are 2 hacks that would be useful.

1. Recording of European PAL sound. I since no sound comes out of the SCART I guess it's the recording that isn't getting the sound, not the playback.
2. Changing channel titles so that you can easily do manual recordings on non-UK channels.

Anyone managed either of these yet?
Old 03-24-2002, 08:40 AM   #15 (Print)
Tom123

@ctyeweeds:
I read about your modem problems. However it doesn't seem to be a general 2.5.5 occurrence. I've had no problems before or after the update.
So it can go either way, I guess.

Old 03-25-2002, 06:54 AM   #16 (Print)
swissguy

Thanks to all for the info and Gary for the FAQ. Still in the dark about a couple of points :

hamdxer :

I don't think it will be possible to test before bringing back. What's the risk and can I download a couple of weeks programming in the UK without a Sky D box ?

mrtickle :

Any idea if my Philips TV is affected (32PW9544), but there's a workaround anyway isn't there ?

ctyeweeds :

I would only use it for Sky D so I guess that's no problem ?

Cheers,

SG
Old 03-25-2002, 07:55 AM   #17 (Print)
ctyeweeds

Quote:
I would only use it for Sky D so I guess that's no problem ?

Yes, that's right no problem.

Also, I didn't bother setting up Tivo in UK. I just plugged in the Tivo overseas onto Sky D (already working), entered the UUNET POP as a dial prefix and ran the guided setup all the way through with no probs.

I bought mine at Dixons in Heathrow on the way out (you get a taxfree price even for EU travel - but make sure you order it first so they have one in stock as they only deliver to UK addresses). I might not be the cheapest way to get one any more though - this was about a year ago.

And my modem problems do seem to be the (rather annoying) exception rather than the rule. Am I the only Tivo user in Denmark?
Old 03-25-2002, 08:06 AM   #18 (Print)
hamdxer

To SG. If you reckon you are not able to test the TIVO while in the UK, how can you manage to down load the program data bearing in mind you will need a telephone connection.
My suggestion of test before leaving UK is a valid one,if the Tivo is not 100% when you finally get it back to switzerland, I hate to think how much the postage both ways will be bearing in mind the units weight.
perhaps you could insert a post where you will be while in the UK and perhaps one of the members may be able to help.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:13 AM   #19 (Print)
swissguy

I could test it with terrestrial TV in the UK, but only with Sky D when I get back. Is there any benefit in doing this ?
Old 03-26-2002, 12:17 AM   #20 (Print)
ctyeweeds

To hamdxer. I agree it would be nice to see that you haven't exported a dead Tivo to Switzerland, but you don't need to setup Tivo in UK.

You just use an overseas telephone connection (either dialling internationally) or using UUNET POP to download the guide data. When doing the guided setup you need to invent a UK postcode but this just configures the aerial channels. Then you can remove all channels <100 (i.e. not on the digibox) from "Channels you watch". I know this works as I did it this way myself.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:15 AM   #21 (Print)
mrtickle

Quote:
mrtickle :

Any idea if my Philips TV is affected (32PW9544), but there's a workaround anyway isn't there ?

Sorry no idea - I don't have a Philips TV (and never will), but you're right three is a workaround (using a macrovision remover box) - however this means you can't get RGB.
mrtickle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2002, 10:48 AM   #22 (Print)
hamdxer

Yes, I agree but my point was taking a untested unit 100's miles from the UK without it being tested is not a wise move,as some buyers have had problems as seen on various theads, imagine if the unit was found to be faulty on arrival, I reckon postage back to UK and back again would be about £100 more or less, so personally I would want it checked.
Anyway I think there is enough info on this thread for the SG to finally decide.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:18 PM   #23 (Print)
swissguy

Quote:
Anyway I think there is enough info on this thread for the SG to finally decide.

You're right, I've ordered one ! Thanks guys. As I said
above I should be able to try it with terrestrial TV
before bringing it back. No doubt I'll have some more
questions when I hook up to Sky D

BTW, how heavy is it ?
Old 03-26-2002, 02:04 PM   #24 (Print)
Yorkshirelad6

If you'd like to drop me a line (your profile does not permit PMs or mails), I can put you in touch with a friend of mine in southern Germany who has been using TiVo over there almost since it came out. He never seems to have had any problems, and has the new software too. To cap it all I recall he is using a Philips TV to boot (at least he was last Oktoberfest, a“lthough we didn't watch much TV on that visit.. ) - I think he has a made a lot of contact with other foreign users too, so may even know someone in Switzerland...

YorkshireLad6

Last edited by Yorkshirelad6 : 03-26-2002 at 02:10 PM.
Yorkshirelad6 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2002, 08:27 AM   #25 (Print)
Nick

Tivo In Brussels

I had one of the first Tivos in the States a few years ago and loved it. Geat product. Am now wondering about getting one over here in Belgium.

Does anyone have an experience of using a Tivo in Brussles please ?

Read the comments on using a Tivo in Switzerland. Very helpful and encouraging. Would someone please tell me what the UUnet No is for Brussels (or how I can find it).

Thanks.
Nick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2002, 08:39 AM   #26 (Print)
GarySargent

To find your local UUNET pop use this:
http://www1.worldcom.com/us/tools/access/pops/global/

Looks like the number is: 2-4001800

EDIT 14th June 2003: Looks like URL has changed, now: http://global.mci.com/about/network/pops/

Last edited by GarySargent : 06-14-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:42 AM   #27 (Print)
Nick

Quick and helpful. Thanks Gary.
Nick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2002, 11:03 AM   #28 (Print)
ctyeweeds

You won't get any real use out of a Tivo unless you install Sky Digital in Belgium as Tivo won't work with the local channels. There is a link on one of my posts earlier in the thread for help on how to do this.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:56 AM   #29 (Print)
swissguy

So, I got the box in the UK, subscribed, downloaded all data and new software release, dragged it back to Switzerland and managed to make a call with the pop prefix and ..........

Everything worked fine !

Thanks to all for the useful info.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:09 AM   #30 (Print)
Tom123

Great you got everything working without a glitch.
Let's all chant: "Welcome to the TiVolution"