Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #1 (Print)
CTerrian
Master Of My Domain

Send a message via ICQ to CTerrian Send a message via AIM to CTerrian Send a message via MSN to CTerrian Send a message via Yahoo to CTerrian
Question Does Tivo change channels when TV is off?

This morning, I was watching CBS, and turned off the TV. Came back 3 hours later, and turned on the TV, and Tivo was on the Food Channel. My wife said the same thing happened to her this afternoon.
Anyone have this problem?

Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #2 (Print)
ChuckyBox

It isn't a problem, it is a feature. TiVo has to be able to change channels in order to record your shows for you when you aren't around. TiVo will also record "TiVo Suggestions" -- programs it thinks you might like (which you can give a "Thumbs Up" or "Thumbs Down" to help it learn what you like). You can turn off the "TiVo Suggestions" if you don't want them, and that will reduce the channel changing somewhat. I like the suggestions since I sometimes find interesting shows through them, and the space they take up never interferes with scheduled recordings.
ChuckyBox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #3 (Print)
CTerrian
Master Of My Domain

Send a message via ICQ to CTerrian Send a message via AIM to CTerrian Send a message via MSN to CTerrian Send a message via Yahoo to CTerrian
Wink

Ah...I see. I just bought this box for my wife, and she watches the Food Channel every night so that explains that.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:30 AM   #4 (Print)
ADent

Also it changes to the Discovery Channel every so often to download the videos for the ads on the machine.
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:42 AM   #5 (Print)
gastrof
VERY disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTerrian
This morning, I was watching CBS, and turned off the TV. Came back 3 hours later, and turned on the TV, and Tivo was on the Food Channel. My wife said the same thing happened to her this afternoon.

Your TV being off, on, or in Idaho doesn't make any difference.

Disconnect the TV and throw it out the window, the TiVo will keep doing its job.

The TiVo has its own tuner, and if you're using a cable box, it controls THAT to change channels.

Your TV is only a display device for the TiVo. Overall, it really doesn't even come into the picture.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:20 AM   #6 (Print)
Dromomaniac
Pre-Avatar

Incidentally, the Tivo doesn't know if the TV is on or off. So, before it changes the channel to record something (that you've requested, a suggestion, etc.) it pops up a message asking permission. If nobody says "yes" or "no" after a minute, it assumes the TV is off and goes ahead and changes the channel.
Dromomaniac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:21 AM   #7 (Print)
Dromomaniac
Pre-Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
It isn't a problem, it is a feature.
Ever considered a career with Microsoft?

Just kidding.
Dromomaniac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #8 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTerrian

if there is a channel you want the "TV to be tuned to" at a certain time than setup that show with a keep at most 1 option. or else setup a small 5 minute manual record scheduled 30 minutes before you watch it.

during times of breaking news like Katrina I set up a 5 minute manaul record for CNN around 6am and that way I have the 30 minute buffer of news and can cath up quickly just by scanning through. at other times I have the local news and Good Morning America set for a keep at most 2 so they are what my TV shows when I turn it on in the morning.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post