Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 02:30 PM   #1 (Print)
Jonster

Red face Dish Network and Tivo

Hello! I just had Dish install their DVR receiver that handles only two TV's to my configuration at home. The problem is I have four televisions running and would like to have DVR on the remaining two. Dish will not sell me another receiver. My question is:
Is there a Tivo unit that will hook up to my third TV, but also send a signal to the fourth, or would I have to purchase two receivers? I have a mechanical room in the house that has "home runs" of coax to each room, including to the two remaining TV's that I want to put on DVR. Any thoughts/insight on how to make this work best? Thanks in advance, Jon
Jonster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #2 (Print)
irish65

What I have done is connect my antenna connection (output) of my Tivo to the wall jack which is connect to a splitter in the attic. The splitter feeds a tv in the bedroom and down stairs. You have to watch the same content and have a slightly reduced resolution but it works.Its also is free. You can get RF transmitters to change stations if you want. Since you have all the cables in the basement should be easy. Wouldn't cost much to try it.
irish65 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #3 (Print)
Justin Thyme

I have dish and elected not to get their DVR. Personally, I'd recommend you call them up have have them remove that piece of junk and replace it with standard recievers- like the 301's that I have. I don't recall that they cost me anything- just the monthly access fee. I have Tivos attached to all my Dish recievers, and they are connected to each other so we can watch shows that were recorded on other DVRs.

You can get one of these video repeater devices to avoid extra satellite boxes. Some work better than others, but they cost money too, so it comes down to cost and convenience.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #4 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

The TiVo will run two tvs fine (with certain limitations). The issue is getting a source for it, which means another receiver.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #5 (Print)
Justin Thyme

Anyway, dish will provide you any number of recievers you want. If your installer was sent by Dish and refuses to put in the plain jane dish recievers, notify Dish and talk to a different installer.

Actually, you really don't need an installer. Dish supports do it yourself installlation. If you are handy you can perform the work yourself.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post