TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #1 (Print)
crowtoo

Question R10 questions from a Noob, advice needed, please help.

I've been reading this forum for a while but just recently signed up so I could post here. After reading many threads here and articles elsewhere I made a DirecTivo purchase this past weekend. This has led me to a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some help with here.

1) I purchased a R10 unit for my parents as a Christmas present. After looking at pictures online of the back of the unit I see that there are 2 inputs for the sat input. My parents already are Direct TV subsribers but they have a very old tuner with no DVR. Do I have to run a new cable from their dish to the back of the R10 unit or can I just split the single input that is there now?

2) Since this is going to be the last Tivo branded Direct TV DVR and I am familiar with the Tivo operation and interface from using my girlfriends I also bought a couple extra R10 units while they were still available. I am not currently a Direct TV subscriber but as soon as I find an apartment, hopefully in the next 6 months, I will become one. I noticed that according to Direct TV these units are supposed to be activated within 30 days of purchase. Why is this and can I still activate the extra R10 units I purchased when I start a new account say 6 months down the road if the unit has never been activated?

I'm sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I did search the forum and was unable to find the answers on my own.

Thanks for any assistance you are able to give me, I REALLY appreciate it.

Chris
crowtoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 PM   #2 (Print)
Nfuego
Finally-My ugly mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtoo
I've been reading this forum for a while but just recently signed up so I could post here. After reading many threads here and articles elsewhere I made a DirecTivo purchase this past weekend. This has led me to a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some help with here.

1) I purchased a R10 unit for my parents as a Christmas present. After looking at pictures online of the back of the unit I see that there are 2 inputs for the sat input. My parents already are Direct TV subsribers but they have a very old tuner with no DVR. Do I have to run a new cable from their dish to the back of the R10 unit or can I just split the single input that is there now?

If they wish to use the 2 tuner feature of the unit, then yes, you would have to run a 2nd cable from the dish/multiswitch.

Quote:
2) Since this is going to be the last Tivo branded Direct TV DVR and I am familiar with the Tivo operation and interface from using my girlfriends I also bought a couple extra R10 units while they were still available. I am not currently a Direct TV subscriber but as soon as I find an apartment, hopefully in the next 6 months, I will become one. I noticed that according to Direct TV these units are supposed to be activated within 30 days of purchase. Why is this and can I still activate the extra R10 units I purchased when I start a new account say 6 months down the road if the unit has never been activated?

Where did you buy them? I would imagine the activation requirement is from the place that sold them to you. They get re-imbursed money from DTV because they are selling them for LESS than they cost, most likely. If you don't activate them, the place you bought them from will probably charge you a surcharge for each unit. You need to discuss this with the customer service dept where you bought them.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #3 (Print)
crowtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfuego
Where did you buy them? I would imagine the activation requirement is from the place that sold them to you. They get re-imbursed money from DTV because they are selling them for LESS than they cost, most likely. If you don't activate them, the place you bought them from will probably charge you a surcharge for each unit. You need to discuss this with the customer service dept where you bought them.

First of all thanks for the answers to my questions. I bought them at Best Buy over the weekend. I really don't care about losing out on the rebate as they were only $99.99 each as it was but I just want to make sure that I will be able to use them in the future, once I get my own Direct TV subscription.

Also, I believe your reply to my other question but, I'm surprised that I can't just split the current incoming sat signal and hook the splitter outputs to each of the sat "in" connections on the new R10 unit. Isn't the actual "tuner" inside the box and it's just getting a duplicate signal and using it's internal tuner to select the individual station to watch/record? Perhaps I'm trying to relate it to cable TV and the system works completely different.

I hate being such a novice with all this stuff as I used to know cable systems pretty well and now I feel lost again.

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 12-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #4 (Print)
sgndave

You can't split the incoming sat signal because it can be set for either odd channel numbers or even channel numbers, but not both at the same time. It has to do with which polarity the LNB at the dish is picking up at any given time (the odd channels use one polarity, and the even channels use the opposite polarity, but the LNB can do only one polarity at a time). The polarity is selected by a voltage on the cable - each tuner will set the voltage for the polarity that it needs for the channel it is selecting.

So the two tuners need to have separate cables so they won't be fighting with each other as to which way to set the LNB for the incoming signal. With 2 cables, each tuner can set its own LNB at the dish the way it wants without conflict.
sgndave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #5 (Print)
crowtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgndave
You can't split the incoming sat signal because it can be set for either odd channel numbers or even channel numbers, but not both at the same time. It has to do with which polarity the LNB at the dish is picking up at any given time (the odd channels use one polarity, and the even channels use the opposite polarity, but the LNB can do only one polarity at a time). The polarity is selected by a voltage on the cable - each tuner will set the voltage for the polarity that it needs for the channel it is selecting.

So the two tuners need to have separate cables so they won't be fighting with each other as to which way to set the LNB for the incoming signal. With 2 cables, each tuner can set its own LNB at the dish the way it wants without conflict.

Ahh, that makes sense. That's also explains why you need a dual LNB dish to run more than one tuner off a dish. I'm learning.

I just hope I can fish another cable into the house without too much work since I'll most likely be installing the unit myself.

Thanks again, this place is such a great resource,

Chris
Old 12-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #6 (Print)
TCS-DTiVo

Quote:
...I bought them at Best Buy over the weekend...

Just curious, did Best Buy specifically get your personal information (name, acct#, etc.) when you purchased the R10s? Or did you just go through the checkout line like it was anything else? In that case, they might have your credit card number, but how could they tie that to the specific R10s that you purchased?
TCS-DTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:18 AM   #7 (Print)
crowtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS-DTiVo
Just curious, did Best Buy specifically get your personal information (name, acct#, etc.) when you purchased the R10s? Or did you just go through the checkout line like it was anything else? In that case, they might have your credit card number, but how could they tie that to the specific R10s that you purchased?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I just got back from the Ravens/Packers football game a little while ago. Go Ravens!!!

Best Buy got NONE of my personal information. I did pay for it with a debit card (Visa) but that is the only information they could possibly get from me. They even gave me 4 seperate rebate receipts for the current $100 rebate in addition to the receipt with all my purchases on it. I'm probably going to keep 2 of them for myself, sell one to a friend who already has D* and hang on to the other one for when my parents fall in love w/ Tivo and request a second R10 for their bedroom.

Thanks for all the advice,

Chris
Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 AM   #8 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I just got back from the Ravens/Packers football game a little while ago. Go Ravens!!!

Best Buy got NONE of my personal information. I did pay for it with a debit card (Visa) but that is the only information they could possibly get from me. They even gave me 4 seperate rebate receipts for the current $100 rebate in addition to the receipt with all my purchases on it. I'm probably going to keep 2 of them for myself, sell one to a friend who already has D* and hang on to the other one for when my parents fall in love w/ Tivo and request a second R10 for their bedroom.

Thanks for all the advice,

Chris
Actually, if you do not activate all of the R10s that you bought, Best Buy will likely attempt to surcharge your card another $150 per unactiavted R10 after 30 days. Which means that if you and your friend do not activate those three R10s within 30 days, you could and will likely be charged an additional $450.

Best Buy should have told you that, but then again Best Buy does not always hire the brightest light bulbs in town. (this does not mean that all Best Buy employees are dim, but then again what do you expect for minimum wage.)

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #9 (Print)
crowtoo

Hmm, this is very intersting information. Noone said a word about anything like that. I think a phone call to D* is in order.

What if I would have just paid cash for them?

Chris
crowtoo@earthlink.net
Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #10 (Print)
TCS-DTiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
Actually, if you do not activate all of the R10s that you bought, Best Buy will likely attempt to surcharge your card another $150 per unactiavted R10 after 30 days.

As mentioned in another thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...5&&#post3588795
I don't see how Best Buy can tie a specific unit to a specific person in this situation (not exchanging information and noting the unit serial#, etc.). Nothing on the receipt of the one I purchased that is unique to the specific unit I purchased.

In other words, let's say that BB sold units 100, 101, 102, 103, and 104. D* tells BB that units 100 and 102 haven't been activated. How does BB know who they sold units 100 and 102 to? With me they just scanned the UPC (same on all units) and rang up the sale with no exchange of information. Yes they have a name and credit card number, but tied to which unit?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #11 (Print)
coolbreeze

If someone paid cash for a receiver, I don't see how Best Buy could possibly track them down. I would think that whoever activates the unit would be considered the purchaser...so if you paid cash today, sold it to your buddy (or eBay) and that person activated it 120 days later, they might get hit with some sort of charge? No clue.
coolbreeze is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #12 (Print)
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS-DTiVo
As mentioned in another thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...5&&#post3588795
I don't see how Best Buy can tie a specific unit to a specific person in this situation (not exchanging information and noting the unit serial#, etc.). Nothing on the receipt of the one I purchased that is unique to the specific unit I purchased.

In other words, let's say that BB sold units 100, 101, 102, 103, and 104. D* tells BB that units 100 and 102 haven't been activated. How does BB know who they sold units 100 and 102 to? With me they just scanned the UPC (same on all units) and rang up the sale with no exchange of information. Yes they have a name and credit card number, but tied to which unit?
Actually I've pretty sure their register prompts them to scan the Receiver ID barcode, which is unique to each D* receiver.

I know that back when my parents bought their receiver at best buy, there were about 3 different bar codes that had to be scanned before the register would complete the sale.

That should easily allow Best Buy to tie the specific units to your debit card.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:22 AM   #13 (Print)
TCS-DTiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S
Actually I've pretty sure their register prompts them to scan the Receiver ID barcode, which is unique to each D* receiver.

I know that back when my parents bought their receiver at best buy, there were about 3 different bar codes that had to be scanned before the register would complete the sale.

That should easily allow Best Buy to tie the specific units to your debit card.

Nope. At least not in my case (a few weeks ago at Best Buy). I watched as the scan gun hit only the UPC and no other prompt came on the screen. It kind of surprised me actually. Of course it is always possible that the checker didn't know what he was doing, but I thought their system would trigger a prompt on the screen for more information, etc.

Very hard for me to believe that when one would call D* to activate, that D* would try to access a charge on a new (or existing) customer. Seems like the customer could just refuse to activate it and simply get another unit.