Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #61 (Print)
AnteL0pe
the anti-haX0r

Got it up and running, only problem seems to be that the galleon server seems to disappear every 6-10 hours or so..... Now I just gotta go find some cool apps to add. Thanks for all the community contributions to get this project going!

Old 11-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #62 (Print)
AnteL0pe
the anti-haX0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
Before I go ahead and just upgrade to 1.7 can someone help? I'm having a helluva time lately trying to get my Now Playing list to see my GoBack recordings. It used to work fine and I haven't changed my setup but now it's sporadic at best.

I've found with using the "bundles" that Galleon won't stay running thru a Sleep mode so I have to stop and restart the bundle. No big deal. I can go into "Music, Photos & More" and verify that Galleon's up and running. Even ToGo.

But GoBack isn't. I checked that I'm Enabled Sharing on Tivo.com, I've got it Enabled (and my MAK entered) in Galleon.. I've waited forever, tried going in and out of Now Playing a ton of times. Nothing.

Rebooted the TiVo even. Still nothing. I just had it working a few days ago so I don't understand what happened. Help!

Im having the same problem, except that this is my first go around with galleon so i have never had goback working. Did you ever solve your problem?

Old 11-06-2005, 07:16 AM   #63 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
Im having the same problem, except that this is my first go around with galleon so i have never had goback working. Did you ever solve your problem?
Sometimes you need to reboot your TiVo before it will work. (I think I read that Galleon should be running at the time.)

EDIT: Make sure you set the "PC IP address" in the "Properties" part of the GUI (Configure Galleon) to match your Mac's IP address. (Click on the Test button - does your TiVo show up?) Also, check your subnets. Run the Network Utility (in the Applications/Utilities directory). Check all of the IP Addresses for all of the used interfaces (especially en0 and en1). (My unused interfaces are 144.2.8.0.) Make sure that the non "unused" IP addresses have the first three of the four numbers the same as the numbers of your TiVo.

Last edited by juanian : 11-06-2005 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added IP address info
juanian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #64 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanian
Sometimes you need to reboot your TiVo before it will work. (I think I read that Galleon should be running at the time.)

EDIT: Make sure you set the "PC IP address" in the "Properties" part of the GUI (Configure Galleon) to match your Mac's IP address. (Click on the Test button - does your TiVo show up?) Also, check your subnets. Run the Network Utility (in the Applications/Utilities directory). Check all of the IP Addresses for all of the used interfaces (especially en0 and en1). (My unused interfaces are 144.2.8.0.) Make sure that the non "unused" IP addresses have the first three of the four numbers the same as the numbers of your TiVo.

Juanian, thanks for the troubleshooting tips. I'm having the same problem of being unable to see GoBack on the Tivo; I checked all of the things you mentioned (everything seems to be configured properly) and rebooted the TiVo with Galleon running but still no luck.

The one part of the configuration that seems odd is when I go to GoBack to enter the path of where my GoBack files are located I can not browse to the location (a folder on my desktop) but instead have to manually enter the path. Is this normal? I can browse to some locations on the hard drive, but not others.

And on another note; using the Movies application on my Mac seems to not include local showtimes, it has a listing of all the movies that are playing at my local theatres, but no times for the show. The same app on my PC has a different interface (I'm using Galleon 1.5 on the PC and 1.7 on the Mac) but the PC app includes showtimes. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #65 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor
The one part of the configuration that seems odd is when I go to GoBack to enter the path of where my GoBack files are located I can not browse to the location (a folder on my desktop) but instead have to manually enter the path. Is this normal? I can browse to some locations on the hard drive, but not others.
You should be able to get to your Desktop by clicking in the .. dropdown, clicking to the last item in the list (normally your computer), choosing Users, choosing your username, choosing Desktop, then choosing the folder in your desktop. (If your user directory has been moved to a different volume, you will need to navigate to it from the Volumes directory.) Can you navigate to your Desktop folder?

Using "Internet Sharing" can also cause your TiVo to not see your Mac (but that would show up as an anomaly in the "Network Utility" like I mentioned above).

Quote:
And on another note; using the Movies application on my Mac seems to not include local showtimes, it has a listing of all the movies that are playing at my local theatres, but no times for the show. The same app on my PC has a different interface (I'm using Galleon 1.5 on the PC and 1.7 on the Mac) but the PC app includes showtimes. Anyone else seeing this?
It might be related to the 1.5 version. (I haven't really used the Movies app, so I can't speak to that.) You can upgrade to 1.7 by copying the 1.7 .jar files in the lib directory over the 1.5 ones you have (the .jar files are the same between the PC and the Mac). I would recommend making a copy of the complete Galleon directory before the update, just to make it easier to go back if there is any problem.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #66 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
You should be able to get to your Desktop by clicking in the .. dropdown, clicking to the last item in the list (normally your computer), choosing Users, choosing your username, choosing Desktop, then choosing the folder in your desktop. (If your user directory has been moved to a different volume, you will need to navigate to it from the Volumes directory.) Can you navigate to your Desktop folder?

I can navigate to the Desktop folder, but nothing shows up under desktop, even when I select show all files.

Quote:
It might be related to the 1.5 version. (I haven't really used the Movies app, so I can't speak to that.) You can upgrade to 1.7 by copying the 1.7 .jar files in the lib directory over the 1.5 ones you have (the .jar files are the same between the PC and the Mac). I would recommend making a copy of the complete Galleon directory before the update, just to make it easier to go back if there is any problem.

I solved this one. It seems that when I choose the TiVo skin the showtimes do not show up. I switched back to the Galleon skin and everything works perfectly.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #67 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
I can navigate to the Desktop folder, but nothing shows up under desktop, even when I select show all files.
There "can" be multiple Desktop folders on your drives.

OK let's get down and dirty and try this:
Pick one of the files (in the folder you are trying to get to) on your Desktop that shouldn't exist anywhere else on your system. (Also, don't pick a file name with slashes in the name.)
Open up a Terminal window (under Applications/Utilities).
Enter a command to find the file:
find / -name 'file name here*' -print 2> /dev/null
(Put the name of your file at file name here, and be sure to include the * at the end of the file name.)
(The "2> /dev/null" part gets rid of "Permission Denied" messages, assuming bash is your shell (which is the default shell for 10.3 and 10.4).)

After a few minutes, you should see a line like the following:
/Users/yourusername/Desktop/filename

After it finds the file, does the path shown match the path you used to navigate to the file in the GoBack dialog box?

Quote:
I solved this one. It seems that when I choose the TiVo skin the showtimes do not show up. I switched back to the Galleon skin and everything works perfectly.
I've never used skins -- I'm surprised it modifies functionality in the app (unless it has some locale info in the skin)!

Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #68 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Quote:

I don't exactly know what I did but it's much more stable now. I still think it's something to do with leaving Galleon running while the Mac goes to sleep. I don't think Galleon wakes up well

And I think you just need to be patient for GoBack to re-appear once you restart either Galleon, the Mac and/or TiVo itself.
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #69 (Print)
AnteL0pe
the anti-haX0r

I'll try bouncing the TiVo when i get home tonight. Thanks for the help.

cwoody222 not really sure about the sleeping, the Mac i have galleon on is set not to sleep ever though the display does go dark.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #70 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
I don't exactly know what I did but it's much more stable now. I still think it's something to do with leaving Galleon running while the Mac goes to sleep. I don't think Galleon wakes up well
I agree - I have had issues if I put my Mac to sleep with Galleon running. I usually (that is, if I remember) try and stop the Galleon server before putting my Mac to sleep.

I have my Galleon "Recordings Path" set to a Windows 98 box on my network. If I fail to reconnect to it before Galleon tries to "ToGo" a file, the show gets written to a directory which is automatically created in my "Volumes" directory (which I need to get rid of before I can properly mount the Win98 box).

Old 11-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #71 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
There "can" be multiple Desktop folders on your drives.

OK let's get down and dirty and try this:
Pick one of the files (in the folder you are trying to get to) on your Desktop that shouldn't exist anywhere else on your system. (Also, don't pick a file name with slashes in the name.)
Open up a Terminal window (under Applications/Utilities).
Enter a command to find the file:
find / -name 'file name here*' -print 2> /dev/null
(Put the name of your file at file name here, and be sure to include the * at the end of the file name.)
(The "2> /dev/null" part gets rid of "Permission Denied" messages, assuming bash is your shell (which is the default shell for 10.3 and 10.4).)

After a few minutes, you should see a line like the following:
/Users/yourusername/Desktop/filename

After it finds the file, does the path shown match the path you used to navigate to the file in the GoBack dialog box?

Thanks again for the detailed instructions. I tested just like you suggested, and yes the path that is displayed matches the path I entered in Galleon exactly. Any other suggestions?

Quote:
I've never used skins -- I'm surprised it modifies functionality in the app (unless it has some locale info in the skin)!

I'm guessing that the skin did not really change anything, but that part of the screen might be cut off if you use a different screen. The showtimes are displayed at the top of the screen, so if a bit of the top of the screen was chopped off due to a different skin being used then the showtimes would not be displayed.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #72 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Quote:
I'll try bouncing the TiVo when i get home tonight. Thanks for the help.

cwoody222 not really sure about the sleeping, the Mac i have galleon on is set not to sleep ever though the display does go dark.

Just to clarify - my display goes dark and then Galleon usually doesn't have problems ('cause it, nor it's connection to TiVo ever stopped).

But at night I put my HD to sleep. That, understandably, 'causes Galleon a bit of a hiccup.

It's not a big deal.
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #73 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
Thanks again for the detailed instructions. I tested just like you suggested, and yes the path that is displayed matches the path I entered in Galleon exactly. Any other suggestions?
All I can think of has something to do with permissions (and multiple users). If a directory exists, but some process can't see it, it is likely that permissions are set up for a different user (maybe root). It is odd that you would be able to see files on your desktop but Galleon can't (what user is Galleon running under?).

Let me know: Are you starting Galleon using the "sudo ./run.sh" command, or using the "Galleon Server" application starter.

First, run the Galleon server, then start the configuration utility, then execute the following commands:
whoami
ps -auxww |grep Galleon

whoami shows your current username.
The ps command will show the current Galleon processes. The first column is the username that the process is running under. There should be (at least) three lines, something like the following (this example used the "Galleon Server" application starter):
username 2480 10.0 3.2 398344 42180 ?? S 2:27PM 0:07.13 /Applications/Galleon/bin/Configure Galleon.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub -psn_0_10747905
username 2348 2.1 4.4 437692 57520 ?? R 1:44PM 3:23.97 /Applications/Galleon/bin/Galleon Server.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub -psn_0_10485761
username 2484 0.0 0.0 18644 92 std R+ 2:28PM 0:00.00 grep Galleon

The user in the grep line should match the first eight characters of the whoami result. The users on the other two lines should also match the grep line (if you used the app starter), or should be root (if you used sudo). If they are something else, this may be the problem.

When you are in the GoBack dialog box trying to get to your Desktop folder, how close do you come (what directory are you in when you can't go down another level in the path)? Try using the cd command to go to that directory, then enter the command "ls -l" to see the files in that directory. Let me know what the permissions are (the drwdrw--- stuff before the file names), and the username and group listed for the files. You should see something like:
drwx------ 185 username groupnam 6290 8 Nov 14:35 Desktop
drwx------ 159 username groupnam 5406 3 Nov 17:59 Documents

Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #74 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

Juanian,

I'm not at the Mac right now and probably won't have a chance to get to it until tomorrow evening at the earliest, so what follows is based on my memory. Tomorrow I will run the commands to verify settings, but I wanted to chime in tonight with what I remember and a couple of other things that may or may not be relevant.

First, I am running Galleon using the Galleon Server bundles for OS X that came packaged with Galleon 1.7. Everything Galleon related (including the folder I want to have visible under GoBack) is all under one user. The computer is a dual boot system with OS 9 on a seperate drive. I have two users under OS X, one of which is very rarely used.

When I am under the GoBack configuration window and try to browse to a directory the default directory is listed as .. and is the Galleon directory, at the bottom of the list I have 'Andreas Computer.' If I open that up I've got a bunch of choices, including 'Desktop' but when I open Desktop nothing shows up even if I select "show all files."

The obvious thing that I probably should have tried before now is to move my mpeg folder into one of the directories that the GoBack configuration utility does see, and see if it can pick it up from there. But I will run through your steps and post the results first.

Thanks again for the help. I thank you for the help to get GoBack running, but I also greatly appreciate the exposure to terminal and what specific commands are asking. As you can tell, I have very little to no command line experience on a Mac, and only a bit more than that on a PC, so I am grateful for the lessons.

-Dylan
Old 11-10-2005, 02:12 AM   #75 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
When I am under the GoBack configuration window and try to browse to a directory the default directory is listed as .. and is the Galleon directory, at the bottom of the list I have 'Andreas Computer.' If I open that up I've got a bunch of choices, including 'Desktop' but when I open Desktop nothing shows up even if I select "show all files."
a-Ha! When you go to 'Andreas Computer', there should be a 'Users' folder (with a little outline of a person on it). Open that folder, and look for your username (a little white and brown house). Double-click that folder, and you should see a 'Desktop' folder (looks like a mini version of a Mac screen). Open that, and (hopefully) you should see your files. Don't open any other folder called Desktop that you might find along the way.

Quote:
Thanks again for the help. I thank you for the help to get GoBack running, but I also greatly appreciate the exposure to terminal and what specific commands are asking. As you can tell, I have very little to no command line experience on a Mac, and only a bit more than that on a PC, so I am grateful for the lessons.
Glad to help. My 'terminal' experience is from years of programming under different flavors of Unix, and that maps quite well to OS X-based Macs. You shouldn't need to delve into Terminal, but it can come in handy trying to examine certain things.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #76 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
a-Ha! When you go to 'Andreas Computer', there should be a 'Users' folder (with a little outline of a person on it). Open that folder, and look for your username (a little white and brown house). Double-click that folder, and you should see a 'Desktop' folder (looks like a mini version of a Mac screen). Open that, and (hopefully) you should see your files. Don't open any other folder called Desktop that you might find along the way.

Thanks, that did it. I hadn't even noticed that I could scroll down when I chose Andreas Computer to a Users folder. So I was able to find the appropriate desktop folder (Now I feel pretty stupid for missing this before ) From there I can browse directly to my video folder, but in the folder everything is greyed out.

I used ffmpegx to convert one of the .avi files I have into MPEG2, but the resulting file has a .ts extension even though it says it is a MPEG file. Can you provide any help on getting my video transcoded to the right format? On the PC I was able to use TiVo Desktop and have GoBack files show up on the Tivo, but everyone always failed when I tried to transfer. With Galleon on the Mac I can't even get to that step. Sorry to keep bugging you with my technical problems, but if you have any suggestions, I'd really love to get this working.

Dylan
Old 12-30-2005, 03:09 AM   #77 (Print)
juanian

Dylan,

Sorry for the late reply -- somehow I didn't read your post when you posted it (I probably skipped over it when I was reviewing my subscriptions).

Unfortunately, I haven't seriously tried to put AVIs on my TiVo yet, so I can't help much there. (I did use Galleon GoBack to put some miscellaneous AVIs and MPGs I had lying around onto my TiVo, but most failed, and some caused my TiVo to reboot when I played them.) Hopefully you found a better solution somewhere by now. (I know that there are restrictions on bit rates and resolutions, and your files might be out of the TiVo's bounds.)