Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2005, 02:59 AM   #1 (Print)
cmlawrence

lose HBO HD if I cancel the HD package?

I just finished my 3 free months of DirecTV's HD package, and I have to say, it sucks. The only HD stuff I watch is locals OTA (when I can get them in), and movies on HBO HD (and the selection sucks). It's just not worth $10 a month for the discovery channel.

So, if I cancel the HD package, with I lose my HBO HD? I will keep paying for HBO...

C
cmlawrence is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 AM   #2 (Print)
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Send a message via AIM to litzdog911
No, HBO HD is part of your HBO subscription, not the HD Package.

Sony SAT-A4, B4 Receivers
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
litzdog911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #3 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

SHO HD is also included with regular SHO(just in case anyone else is wondering)

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #4 (Print)
Jotas
Got TV?

Send a message via AIM to Jotas
Note

Too bad Starz does not have an HD channel. At least I have not found it. I subscribed to it recently to take advantage of the current promo ($25 gift card after two months service) so I'm making out with a cool dollar.

I was disappointed that I could not find an HD channel. I believe this is the only premimum channel line up that does not have an HD channel.
Jotas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #5 (Print)
mikeny

There is a Starz HD channel but D* doesn't carry it yet.

Harmony 688
mikeny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #6 (Print)
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

There is also a Cinemax HD channel that D doesn't carry.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #7 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

skinemax in hd.... what we have been missing.....

Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #8 (Print)
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

People will spend $4 for a cup of coffee, but think $10 for a month of programming (even if it is a bit sparse) is 'not worth it'. <shrug>
Mark Lopez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 11:56 AM   #9 (Print)
sp1dey

Before I got my Tivo I use to think the HD package was terrible... thanks to Tivo, I find lots of programming worth watching. HDNet plays Smallville daily (for you superman fans - very campy but very fun), Deadline is hilarious. I watched a Documentary on the Baja 1000 last night that was very interesting. UHD will start playing season 2 of the new Battlestar galacitca on 1/1. On top of that, there are tons of great older movies. I still have Goonies waiting for me, I love that movie. $10 is a drop in the bucket. Granted, these shows appeal to my tastes and likely not yours, but whenever I get a chance I browse their schedules online (tivo guide is too slow) and generally find lots worth recording.
sp1dey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #10 (Print)
turbo92awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lopez
People will spend $4 for a cup of coffee, but think $10 for a month of programming (even if it is a bit sparse) is 'not worth it'. <shrug>

but that is a GOOD cup of coffee (to my taste). every time they (D*) offers me free showtime, i laugh... showtime SUCKS.... i won't ever take the offer.
turbo92awd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #11 (Print)
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey
Before I got my Tivo I use to think the HD package was terrible... thanks to Tivo, I find lots of programming worth watching. HDNet plays Smallville daily (for you superman fans - very campy but very fun), Deadline is hilarious. I watched a Documentary on the Baja 1000 last night that was very interesting. UHD will start playing season 2 of the new Battlestar galacitca on 1/1. On top of that, there are tons of great older movies. I still have Goonies waiting for me, I love that movie. $10 is a drop in the bucket. Granted, these shows appeal to my tastes and likely not yours, but whenever I get a chance I browse their schedules online (tivo guide is too slow) and generally find lots worth recording.

Stuff repeats way too much for my tastes. I'm cancelling it in Feb when my free time passes. Interesting to see next year the HD package pricing during football season as Monday Night Football will be on ESPN.
rifleman69 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 08:01 PM   #12 (Print)
sp1dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69
Stuff repeats way too much for my tastes. I'm cancelling it in Feb when my free time passes. Interesting to see next year the HD package pricing during football season as Monday Night Football will be on ESPN.

You've got me there. I'm surprised to see how much stuff I record off of the HDNets though. Universal HD is pretty lacking other then Battlestar. That truly surpises me given the library NBC and Universal has. Given what is available right now in HD I'm not all that disappointed with DTV (I know I'll be in the minority). I've had Comcast and those INHD channels were useless (except when comcast would use INHD2 to broadcast Red Sox games from NESN - not INHD programming though). The movie channels like Starz and Cinemax wouldn't offer me anything since I wouldn't subscribe (rather do Netflix) and they wouldn't be part of the HD pack anyway. I guess the only thing out there that would be nice would be TNT but I'm not a NBA, NASCAR, or Law and order fan so guess that wouldn't do it for me either.

Anyway guess the point I was trying to make is, there really isn't a lot of compelling content out there at this point. Hopefully '06 will bring us all something we like on the HD front as well as some new HD channels into existence. For me, the HD pack is certainly no bargain, but I seem to be getting pretty good use out of it.
sp1dey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #13 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lopez

Ick coffee. I save 4x365 = $1460 a year not drinking it. I'm extraordinarly wealthy because I dont drink that stuff and would love to sub to HD but I can't get in the 119 so no dice for me. Maybe I should spend the 1460 on paying somone to saw down a few of the neighbors trees?

Old 12-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #14 (Print)
DeDondeEs

I really like the HD package for HD Net, HD Net Movie Channel, and the ESPN's. Discovery Channel is nice, but you end up seeing all of their HD offerings in one week. On HD Net I like the hockey games and Rick Steve's Europe. The other night I found myself watching Roadhouse on the HDNet movie channel, those haircuts look even more cheesy in HD. How do you think they convert the movies to HD on HBO and HDNet? Do they just broadcast them from a progressive scan DVD player that upgrades the picture to 480p or 720p? Or is there more involved?
Any news on the National Geographic Channel in HD? Will that be added to the package?
DeDondeEs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #15 (Print)
smith13

Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more.
smith13 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #16 (Print)
GrnBayViper

I too called DirecTV retension unit just recently because my 3 months free is done.

They told me first of all that I would have to pay a $10 cancelation fee since I apparently agreed to a 1 year commitment of HD programming when getting my HD DVR. I have Total Choice Premier. I was told I would also loose my HBO HD and Showtime HD and the ability to record HD locals if I drop the HD package.

What a crock of garbage. I personally could care less about the other HD channels other than HBO, Showtime, and locals. I would really like to get Starz HD and TNT HD. Hell even if I could have TNT HD I would keep the HD package and pay for it.

This is getting nutz that DirecTV can't get their a**'s in gear and get us some more HD. Dump some of the other crappy stations and get some bandwith. Don't they realize that HD is the future and they should be concerned with getting these channels or they are going to loose alot of people to local cable companies that have the channels people want.
GrnBayViper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #17 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnBayViper
They told me first of all that I would have to pay a $10 cancelation fee since I apparently agreed to a 1 year commitment of HD programming when getting my HD DVR.

Might be true; but it's just $10.

Quote:
I have Total Choice Premier. I was told I would also loose my HBO HD and Showtime HD and the ability to record HD locals if I drop the HD package.

Definitely not true; HBO HD is part of the HBO package incuded with Total Choice Premier; same with Showtime. Recording HD locals has nothing to do with the HD package at all. THe person you spoke to is just clueless and/or trying to scare you out of canceling the HD package. Nothing they can do changes the way it will work; you'll still have HBO HD and SHO HD and be able to record HD locals after canceling the HD package if you have Total Choice Premier.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2005, 06:20 PM   #18 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
I too called DirecTV retension unit just recently because my 3 months free is done.

They told me first of all that I would have to pay a $10 cancelation fee since I apparently agreed to a 1 year commitment of HD programming when getting my HD DVR. I have Total Choice Premier. I was told I would also loose my HBO HD and Showtime HD and the ability to record HD locals if I drop the HD package.

Adding to my thread....good one!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...942#post3609942

Old 12-25-2005, 06:24 PM   #19 (Print)
LarryInAz
TiVo-holic since '99

Question

I understand if I dropped the HD package I'd retain HBO/SHO HD channels but what about ESPN/ESPN2 HD?

I know I'd lose HDnet, HDnet Moview, UHD and Discovery HD Theater but the majority of their programming is recycled and I've seen the bulk of anything that interests me.

Any word if TNT-HD or any other former ZOOM exclusive channels will be added soon to D*?

I heart my Slingbox
LarryInAz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #20 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInAz
I understand if I dropped the HD package I'd retain HBO/SHO HD channels but what about ESPN/ESPN2 HD?

I know I'd lose HDnet, HDnet Moview, UHD and Discovery HD Theater but the majority of their programming is recycled and I've seen the bulk of anything that interests me.

Any word if TNT-HD or any other former ZOOM exclusive channels will be added soon to D*?

ESPN-HD/ESPN2-HD are part of the HD Package; you'd lose them if you canceled the HD Package.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #21 (Print)
LarryInAz
TiVo-holic since '99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
ESPN-HD/ESPN2-HD are part of the HD Package; you'd lose them if you canceled the HD Package.

That's what I assumed - however fikkiwing the same "logic" that SHO/HBO HD are included with the Premier package I was hoping the same would follow with the sports channels.

I heart my Slingbox
LarryInAz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #22 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInAz
That's what I assumed - however fikkiwing the same "logic" that SHO/HBO HD are included with the Premier package I was hoping the same would follow with the sports channels.

HBO and Showtime are separate packages (even though they're included with the Total Choice Premier package); ESPN is a base offering... that's the jist of why it's been lumped into the HD package rather than it being part of another package.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #23 (Print)
Eddie501

Send a message via AIM to Eddie501
Quote:

I'm surprised at just how misinformed some of the CSR's are. Or are they simply lying? When I first got my HD DirecTivo, I called and had it activated. I did not request or have any discussion about the HD package. Lo and behold, there it was when I tuned in. I went to my account on the website & there it was at $10.99/mo. I simply updated my account to exclude it and still get HBO/SHO/locals just fine.

I'm saddened that D* is becoming everything I hated about cable.
Eddie501 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 07:13 AM   #24 (Print)
mike48

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
Ick coffee. I save 4x365 = $1460 a year not drinking it. I'm extraordinarly wealthy because I dont drink that stuff and would love to sub to HD but I can't get in the 119 so no dice for me. Maybe I should spend the 1460 on paying somone to saw down a few of the neighbors trees?

I may drink a little old fashioned home brewed coffee but skip an average of 2.5 cups/day of the $4 designer stuff - savings 2.5x4x365 = $3650 and will try up that to over 3 cups a day next year.
mike48 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #25 (Print)
DeDondeEs

IMO the best basic coffee is 8 O'Clock Columbian Blend $3 a pound at Wal-Mart. If you want something a little more complex get Peets. If you are into cappuchinos and mochas go buy yourself a cappuchino machine. Compared to Starbucks, it will pay for itself in no time. Starbucks used to be OK but now that they are popular what little quality they had has taken a back seat to quantity. They used premixed stuff for their Frappucninos and their espresso drinks are made with some computerized machine like those vending machines at rest stops.
DeDondeEs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #26 (Print)
slocko

i am actually going to cancel my netflix account. i am not using it.

i am so behind in movies that either hd-showtime, hd net movies, or hd-hbo, have enough new movies that I can record to watch.

of course, with 3 young kids i don't have as much time as i used to to dedicate to movies. plus being able to record hd has actually made me watch more hd broadcast tv, eating into movie time.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #27 (Print)
aaronwt
TC Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69

But Sunday Night football will be on NBC next season. Same situation as this year, just the nights are switched and of course it's on NBC instead of ABC.

My 1080P DLP and sample pics(calibration by ELIAB!)
aaronwt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post