SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #91 (Print)
Travisimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerioboy26
TC w/locals is going from 39.99 to 41.99
TC+ with locals is going from 42.99 to 45.99

I think part of the confusion may be IIRC they renaming the packages and removing the words "with locals" since most people get the locals anyway.

Okay, thanks for the clarification - makes sense now. So when I sign up Tuesday, do you think they will tell me the price is going up to $41.99 in a month or so?
Travisimo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 AM   #92 (Print)
happydirectvec
DirecTV Tier 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg
Quick Question...

For those of us still under a 1 yr agreement, will the price be going up? If so, that seems a little shady to say you need to keep X level of programming then increase the price for that level.

There will be no "grandfathered" price protection, sorry. The premiums will stay the same price if you get them a la carte
happydirectvec is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-13-2005, 12:15 AM   #93 (Print)
happydirectvec
DirecTV Tier 2

Ps goes into effect march 12th
happydirectvec is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #94 (Print)
bnm81002

will the international channels increase in price too?

Old 02-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #95 (Print)
lorick
Green Bay Packer Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas arsenal
I wasnt happy with the price increase either but I used it to get a free DVR. I was pissed after losing Trio but am very happy with the addition of GolTv starting Feb 22nd. I also like the mix channels but I wish you highlight the channel and hit select to go directly to that channel from the mix screen.

As long as they continue to add channels I dont mind, but when they lose a channel I feel a little slighted.

What is GolTv?

DirecTV since 09/09/1994
DirecTV TiVo since 09/17/2001
SA TiVo since 02/22/2005
DirecTV HR10-250 since 11/25/2005
lorick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #96 (Print)
newswatcher

GolTV

"GolTV is the only 24 hours network in the United States dedicated to the number one sport of the World: Soccer. GolTV offers a wide variety of leagues and matches from different countries transmitting more than 1500 games per year. In addition, GolTV carries two independent news, original programming and much more..."

GolTV

Old 02-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #97 (Print)
Joe C

I switched to Opicon Ultra as a matter of principle. The $36 or so I will save will not make or break me. Not raising the rates for the Spanish packages tells me that Directv thinks Spanish folks can't afford the rate increase and will leave in droves, while the white folks can afford it. I know programing costs go up but am I to believe that the Spanish channels don't pass along their increased programing costs to the customers. Think about it.
Joe C is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #98 (Print)
mikestanley

Yeah, everyone I have mentioned this two, including another DTV customer who made the switch to save some little bit of cash, has basically commented that this is a racially charged issue when you get down to it.

Seems like DTV is asserting, through this pricing structure, that Hispanic people aren't able to pay as much as white folks.

If I were Hispanic I'd be offended. I'd take the money and run, but I'd still be offended.
mikestanley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #99 (Print)
taylor2767

BTW, white folks aren't the only other race that purchase DTV programming. Just a little reality check.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #100 (Print)
crvboy
your title here

I have yet to receive any notice from directv about a price increase. nothing was included in my February bill.

Did I get overlooked?
crvboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #101 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvboy
I have yet to receive any notice from directv about a price increase. nothing was included in my February bill.

Did I get overlooked?

in March the price increase will happen, I emailed D* and the person told me in March it will increase

Old 02-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #102 (Print)
lee espinoza
some guy

I get one in my bill.
lee espinoza is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 07:17 AM   #103 (Print)
crvboy
your title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
in March the price increase will happen, I emailed D* and the person told me in March it will increase

Can they just raise the price without some type of notification?
crvboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #104 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
You should have received a notice with your last bill. But yes, they always have the disclaimer that prices can change without notice.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #105 (Print)
mattg

I get my bill online, so I was emailed the rate increase notice...
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #106 (Print)
eengert

Considering the switch to a Para Todos pkg from TC w/ locals...

Side note (rant): I find it to be a very shady business practice to withhold pricing information from new customers. I joined D* in Jan '05, and the major reason was because Dish had just raised their rates again, bringing them to within only $8 of D* (comparing TC to Dish's 60 channel lineup). Customers under agreement should be protected from the price increase until their committment is up. The agreement HAS to work both ways. In any case, I think it's time to dig up that customer retention number and get something free to make up for it. Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with a price increase, but I do have a problem with signing new customers to a 1-yr agreement that they're locked into and then increasing the price on them when they have no way out.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions. I live in Buffalo, NY. As such, I get YES, MSG, and FSNY for free as part of the TC pkg, even though those channels aren't officially part of that pkg. If I were to switch to Opcion Extra Especial, would I still receive those channels? They aren't officially part of either pkg (TC or OEE), so my guess is that I will continue to receive them if I switch. Can anyone confirm?

Also, can anyone tell me what's on Fox Sports en Espanol? Is that just another regional Fox Sports Net channel, or is it Fox Sports World in spanish?

Last edited by eengert : 02-16-2005 at 01:09 PM.
eengert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 01:42 PM   #107 (Print)
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas arsenal
I was pissed after losing Trio.

What happened to Trio?
Eben is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #108 (Print)
ziggy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C
Not raising the rates for the Spanish packages tells me that Directv thinks Spanish folks can't afford the rate increase and will leave in droves, while the white folks can afford it. I know programing costs go up but am I to believe that the Spanish channels don't pass along their increased programing costs to the customers. Think about it.
How do we know that their costs for Spanish programming have risen like the rates for other programming?
ziggy29 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #109 (Print)
lee espinoza
some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
How do we know that their costs for Spanish programming have risen like the rates for other programming?
because the statement in my bill said they will not.
lee espinoza is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #110 (Print)
su_A_ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee espinoza
because the statement in my bill said they will not.

I agree - same here... Still paying 49.99 for Para Todos Ultra Especial w/Locals, DVR Fee, Addtl. receiver

BTW, other channels to add to the ones we DON'T receive are the MIX channels...
su_A_ve is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #111 (Print)
mike1977

Quote:
I get my bill online, so I was emailed the rate increase notice...

I get my bill online only too, but they snail mailed me about the increase.
mike1977 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #112 (Print)
eengert

In case this info helps anyone...

I've been a customer for about 4 weeks on TC w/ locals (currently 39.99) in Buffalo, NY. Wasn't happy about getting locked into 1-yr committment and then being told about a price increase. Called customer retention and got them to give me locals free for 6 mos. I guess I don't have any more leverage than that at this point.

After I did that, I called and switched from TC w/ locals (going up to 41.99) to Opcion Ultra Especial w/ locals (39.99) and still am getting my locals free for 6 mos (making it 37.99 for that time). I was going to get Opcion Extra Especial, but it turned out to be 38.99, so for $1 more I figured I might as well get the OUE. Only lost a handful of channels in the switch from TC that I don't watch anyway, plus added quite a few channels that I like (golf channel among them). Got to keep Fox News, btw (I think it was posted earlier that you lost FNC with OUE). I also continue to receive YES, MSG, and FSNY because I'm in Buffalo, NY, even though they aren't technically part of either the TC pkg or OUE. So now I'm getting more channels for the same price as I'm currently paying, and the CSR confirmed that the Para Todos pkgs are not increasing in price like the TC pkgs.

Last edited by eengert : 02-16-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:33 AM   #113 (Print)
crunkrock

ok seriously stop speculating.
MARCH 1ST is when the rate increase happens..

the csr dont give a crap who you are, you can order any package you want. just note you do lose some important channels as stated above. so if your afraid there going to ask for your spanish card, dont worry, they dont give a crap.

any other questions that you'd like quality answers to.
crunkrock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #114 (Print)
Michael R
Major

I switched TC+ w/o locals to Ultra w/o locals and dropped my left coast dns while keeping east coast dns. This will save me about $100 a year.

Michael R is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #115 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydirectvec
There will be no "grandfathered" price protection, sorry. The premiums will stay the same price if you get them a la carte

What !?!? From what people was saying in the beginning of this thread, D* "always" in the past "grandfathered" in price protection

Run Forrest............. Run back to Cable

Old 02-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #116 (Print)
Fezmid

Quote:
The $3 might be similar to what a cable company would increase by, but you have to consider that DTV doesn't have yearly increases.

Well, I must say I'm getting a bit concerned because DirecTV *did* raise the monthly cost by $3 *last year* as well. Now another $3 this year? That kinda sucks...

I was locked in for a year last year, so I havn't had the price increase yet; but now both of them will hit me at once, and my bill will go up $6/month! My salary didn't go up 15% last year.

I might look into downgrading to TC (from TC+) with locals, but we'll see. I need to check how frequently I watch the + channels.

CW
Fezmid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-19-2005, 06:31 PM   #117 (Print)
capinsac

I did a channel comparison from the DirecTV website in Access and below are the channels missing from the DIRECTV PARA TODOS OPCIÓN EXTRA ESPECIAL ($39.99 with locals) that are included in TOTAL CHOICE PLUS ($45.99 with locals after the increase). So are these channels worth $6/month? That's half the price of one premium channel.

BBC America
Boomerang
Cartoon Network
CNBC
Discovery Health Channel
ESPN CLASSIC
Fox Movie Channel
Fox News Channel
Fuse
G4
Galavisión
Great American Country
HITN-TV
Lifetime Movie Network
PAX
Superstation WGN
Toon Disney
Turner South
TV One
Univision (East)

Last edited by capinsac : 02-19-2005 at 06:38 PM.
capinsac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #118 (Print)
fsck_101

Send a message via Yahoo to fsck_101
Can anyone with the Para Todos Ultra confirm whether Boomerang and Cartoon Network are available in English?
fsck_101 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #119 (Print)
eengert

Yes, I just switched to Opcion Ultra Especial (39.99 w/ locals) and I do get Cartoon Network and Boomerang in English. You can switch to Espanol via alternate audio if you choose.

Also of note, I DO get Fox News. Capinsac, I think your information is slightly off. You named Opcion Extra Especial, but then you gave the Opcion Ultra Especial price. I have OUE and there are several channels on your list that seem to be in error. I do, in fact, receive the following from your list of channels that you thought wouldn't be included:

Boomerang
Cartoon Network
Fox News Channel
Galavisión
Toon Disney
Univision (East)

To me, if you're getting locals, it doesn't make any sense to get OEE. OEE w/ locals costs 38.99, while OUE w/ locals costs 39.99. For $1 more you get a bunch more channels. I'm extremely happy with my switch from TC w/ locals to OUE w/ locals. My cost stays exactly the same (and doesn't increase in March) and I get more channels. And if you like soccer as I do, you definitely want to switch. Tons of soccer on the Spanish channels.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #120 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eengert
Considering the switch to a Para Todos pkg from TC w/ locals...

I live in Buffalo, NY. As such, I get YES, MSG, and FSNY for free as part of the TC pkg, even though those channels aren't officially part of that pkg. If I were to switch to Opcion Extra Especial, would I still receive those channels? They aren't officially part of either pkg (TC or OEE), so my guess is that I will continue to receive them if I switch. Can anyone confirm?

Yes you will still get these Channels, I switched a couple of weeks ago and I still get all these channels

2-Cable SA-8300 HD-Dvr's
(Upgraded via Plug-n-Play
External SATA to 70 hrs HD)

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
Sony 34-XBR-910
DVRaholic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post