July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2005, 04:36 AM   #1 (Print)
chrisd
London, England

Cheap Flights with Virgin

Is anyone out there connected to Virgin in some way who might be able to tell me how the prices work.. looking at going london-vegas in july and the price has dropped over £100 since yesterday and I'm wondering if thats as low as they will go or are they likely to go up or down again. Any advice on whether i should book it now or wait?
chrisd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 05:27 AM   #2 (Print)
manolan

You could try asking at the flyertalk forums http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php?

These are often frequented by airline staff who may be able to answer your question. I find them a bit insular personally, but there are plenty of helpful people around, too.
manolan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #3 (Print)
deshepherd

Bit late replying but I think airlines now adjust prices realtime in response to number of seats left vs time left to sell them etc. Also, note that, I think, since to check price on the airline system you have to effectively make a provisional booking in the system to hold the seats you want long enough for you to enter payment details and stop someone else booking the same seats. So if the flight is getting full and if several people happen to be checking the price around the same time then I think prices can get volatile

Couple of years ago we were going on a family holiday to US and I'd been looking at Virgin prices which seemed ok ... eventually I went ot make a booking - came up with the price I expected and I was about to book when I decidided to go back in via the Virgin Frequent flyer website to ensure that my frequent flyer details were added to the booking ... only to find that when I put in the same details there it came up with a price around £150 more per ticket (i.e. around £600 more in total). After stomping angrily around for 20-30 minutes decided I'd have to go and buy the tickets before they got any more expensive ... only to find this time the same details gave me a total £100 lower than what I had initially expected ... i.e. I saw a ~£200 variation in ticket price (~25%) over around 30 mins!

N.b. big Las Vegas hotels do the same with room prices!
deshepherd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post