SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2004, 05:51 PM   #151 (Print)
whatever
Tivo is Life.

Re: Re: Best argument, by far, gunzour.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigpuma
By that logic would it be unethical for people to use rebates. Rebates are profitable for companies because of the fact that only some of the buyers actually use them. If everyone filled out rebates exactly how they were supposed to and got their check the company would lose money but because only a percentage actually follow through they end up making money. This is the same reason that it is ethical to use direcTV's system the way they set it up, even though if everyone purchased premium channels a day here and there they would have to change it.
Rebates are advertised specials. That some people don't take advantage of it is not an ethical problem for the company. The company sets up a system that allows people to get some money back. Some people go through the process to get their money back, others don't feel the need too. The company is assuming a risk by offering a rebate. There is significant rewards for the company, as well as significant risks. The consumer that applies for a rebate also gets a reward.

It has been established that DirecTV allows premium channel purchase by the day. However, the difference here is that I had to ask them before I could establish that they agreed that it was OK. I'm sorry but just because they allow it to happen doesn't make it justifiable (or ethical). The advertised price is by the month. Until I received an email response from DirecTV, there was no other indication that it was an acceptable practice . How long do you think the day at a time purchases would last IF HBO knew what was happening?

-Jim
whatever is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2004, 06:08 PM   #152 (Print)
bigpuma

Re: Re: Re: Best argument, by far, gunzour.

Quote:
Originally posted by whatever
Rebates are advertised specials. That some people don't take advantage of it is not an ethical problem for the company. The company sets up a system that allows people to get some money back. Some people go through the process to get their money back, others don't feel the need too. The company is assuming a risk by offering a rebate. There is significant rewards for the company, as well as significant risks. The consumer that applies for a rebate also gets a reward.

It has been established that DirecTV allows premium channel purchase by the day. However, the difference here is that I had to ask them before I could establish that they agreed that it was OK. I'm sorry but just because they allow it to happen doesn't make it justifiable (or ethical). The advertised price is by the month. Until I received an email response from DirecTV, there was no other indication that it was an acceptable practice . How long do you think the day at a time purchases would last IF HBO knew what was happening?

-Jim

I agree with everything you say except that I don't think it is the consumer's responsibility to investigate whether or not DirecTV is aware of this practice and is ok with it. It is direcTV's responsibiltiy to make sure their billing system is working as planned. I would say it is unethical to knowingly exploit an unintentional glich in the system to get a cheaper price but I shouldn't have to go out of my way to prove it is ok with them.
bigpuma is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2004, 07:28 PM   #153 (Print)
HarryD

Sounds legit to me too! What's the big deal?

Philips DSR7000 @ 105 hours
HarryD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2004, 11:07 PM   #154 (Print)
avermeer

Exactly

"Somebody at DirecTV deliberately set up the billing software to prorate monthly premium services. My guess is that there is someone else (maybe legal, maybe accounting, etc.) at DirecTV who doesn't realize this and would want it changed. So, is DirecTV the corporation truly giving informed consent? As a customer, I think I am only left with considering the questions "Am I taking advantage of information I know DirecTV doesn't have? Am I deceiving them in any way?" The answer to both of these questions in this case I would say is no. "Am I hurting them?" is tougher to answer either way for certain, but I would go back to the argument of responsibility: It is not my responsibility to decide if DirecTV is being "hurt", since DirecTV would have to define that for themselves."

Gunzour, I think you hit the nail on the head. My best guess would be that right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. But I think you're right in that the customer is not responsible for that. All we know is that we have asked DirecTV if this is OK and the department at DirecTV responsible for communicating with the customer has said that it is.

And Jim is right. I doubt HBO has a clear view of this situation. If HBO does know what DirecTV is doing, my guess is that the only reason they haven't put a stop to it is because of a contract loophole. If they know, the next time the papers get signed, I'm betting this loophole is closed. But of course, I don't know anything for sure. I just can't imagine that HBO wants it this way.

Here's a question: is it ethical to do the HBO for a day at 40 cents if HBO doesn't know about it or if they know and don't like it but can't do anything about it right now due to a poor contract? If we know the practice hurts HBO but doesn't hurt DirecTV, to whom are we loyal? HBO has good entertainment. The DirecTV infomercial channels suck. I'm not paying to watch those. Actually, don't anyone answer that. Please, for the love of God, forget I brought it up.
avermeer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2004, 02:48 AM   #155 (Print)
bigpuma

Re: Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by avermeer

Gunzour, I think you hit the nail on the head. My best guess would be that right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. But I think you're right in that the customer is not responsible for that. All we know is that we have asked DirecTV if this is OK and the department at DirecTV responsible for communicating with the customer has said that it is.

This thread was started almost 2 years ago. Do you really believe the left hand still doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Again the system works exactly as planned and it has been verified by DirecTV themselves. There is no question anymore that this is perfectly ethical.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:42 PM   #156 (Print)
avermeer

Yes, I still think it's possible that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, i.e., customer service is in India. I'm also not telling you to stop. Do what you want. I'll decide what's ethical for myself. What part of "But I think you're right in that the customer is not responsible for that. All we know is that we have asked DirecTV if this is OK and the department at DirecTV responsible for communicating with the customer has said that it is" don't you understand?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:57 PM   #157 (Print)
nabsltd

Quote:
Originally posted by avermeer
Best Buy has a T.V. that's $200. It rings up at $100. The clueless checkout guy doesn't catch it and you pay $100 and walk out with it because you can. Yeah, that's unethical.
Some states have laws that say it isn't.

Basically, Best Buy (and other stores) is responsible for making sure that prices—both posted and in the computer—are accurate. If they aren't, it's not the customer's problem if the store loses money due to errors.

Ads in newspapers are not part of these laws because the store doesn't have 100% control over them.
nabsltd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #158 (Print)
avermeer

I didn't say this was illegal

Quote:
Originally posted by nabsltd
Some states have laws that say it isn't.

Basically, Best Buy (and other stores) is responsible for making sure that prices—both posted and in the computer—are accurate. If they aren't, it's not the customer's problem if the store loses money due to errors.

Ads in newspapers are not part of these laws because the store doesn't have 100% control over them.

We weren't talking about law. We're talking about ethics. Laws dictate what's legal. Ethics dictate what's right. In other words, if you want to be ethical, if you see a discrepency in the price, you point it out. If you want to follow the letter of the law only, don't point it out and walk out with the item at the lower price. Nobody is telling anyone they have to be ethical.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #159 (Print)
anand999

As an aside, I can confirm that this works with the Playboy channel too

I signed up for and was charged $4.26 to my account (I'm guessing this is prorated to however long was left in my billing cycle). I canceled the next day and was refunded $3.73.
anand999 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #160 (Print)
chris_h

The last time I bought ammunition, the checker rang it up and it came to $3.22, but should have been $32.20 (each brick had ten packs, but was marked with the one pack price, they expected the checker to ring up 10).
I pointed it out and paid the $32.20 corrected total.

That being said, I plan to use the daily pricing to test drive the HBO, Showtime, and HD-pack. I will probably only test drive each of them for a day or two, prior to picking one to subscribe to "full time." I like the fact that I can test drive them cheaply, because my main focus is HD, and the quality of HD varies widely, so the test drive should help.

I am not so sure that HBO would have any objection to my test drive, as some folks here have implied. So maybe even if they are not contractually obligated, they may be happy with the daily pricing. It has it's benefits in increased sales, and those benefits likely outweigh the few folks doing the on-off-on-off thing.

Just my $0.02 (times 20).

Old 04-05-2004, 06:28 PM   #161 (Print)
BrettStah

Your experience with buying ammunition is not really the same thing though... in your case, the price was wrong. In this case, it's the same price, pro-rated for each full day you have it.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #162 (Print)
packerfan
Proud Papa

Does anyone know if this still works? I am thinking about doing it with the sports package.

-Homer J. Simpson
packerfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #163 (Print)
BrettStah

I don't know if sports packages work the same way. The contracts for those channels may be different to not allow a pro-rated charge. If no one else responds, you may just have to try it one month and see what shows up on your bill.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #164 (Print)
mgarland

It still works fine for movie packages. But yeah, I don't know if it will work for sports.
mgarland is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #165 (Print)
gglockner

Uh oh...

I recorded what I want, now I want to cancel my Starz subscription, but I see the following message on directv.com: "Sorry, but you have exceeded the number of times you may change your programming on DIRECTV.com today." Has anyone else seen this? Has something changed, or will I be able to downgrade my subscription tomorrow?

And if you're an obsessive nerd like me, read on:

What's the real billing policy here? Is it calendar day or 24-hour period? In other words, suppose I order HBO on Tuesday at 3pm PT, then cancel on Wednesday at 11am PT. Will I be charged for 1 day ($0.40) or 2 days ($0.80)? What if I order on Thursday at 2pm PT and cancel on Friday at 6pm PT?
gglockner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #166 (Print)
finaldiet

Smile

mgarland
I' new to this. exactly how do you order a movie. I went to the site you provided. Do you just click on the movie you want to watch and order it?Do you have to make sure it is between 6am and 6pm? Thanks for the insight.
finaldiet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2004, 01:51 PM   #167 (Print)
BrettStah

Minimum charge is for a 24 hour period. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day that you enable a premium channel package. Just make sure to disable it within 24 hours.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:53 PM   #168 (Print)
bigpuma

Re: Uh oh...

Quote:
Originally posted by gglockner
I recorded what I want, now I want to cancel my Starz subscription, but I see the following message on directv.com: "Sorry, but you have exceeded the number of times you may change your programming on DIRECTV.com today." Has anyone else seen this? Has something changed, or will I be able to downgrade my subscription tomorrow?

And if you're an obsessive nerd like me, read on:

What's the real billing policy here? Is it calendar day or 24-hour period? In other words, suppose I order HBO on Tuesday at 3pm PT, then cancel on Wednesday at 11am PT. Will I be charged for 1 day ($0.40) or 2 days ($0.80)? What if I order on Thursday at 2pm PT and cancel on Friday at 6pm PT?

You have to wait 1 day before cancelling a movie channel package. Just wait until tomorrow then downgrade. you will get charged roughly $0.42 if it is less than 24 hours.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #169 (Print)
riekl

Re: Re: Uh oh...

Quote:
Originally posted by bigpuma
You have to wait 1 day before cancelling a movie channel package. Just wait until tomorrow then downgrade. you will get charged roughly $0.42 if it is less than 24 hours.
riekl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2004, 03:30 PM   #170 (Print)
mgarland

Quote:
Originally posted by finaldiet
mgarland
I' new to this. exactly how do you order a movie. I went to the site you provided. Do you just click on the movie you want to watch and order it?Do you have to make sure it is between 6am and 6pm? Thanks for the insight.

You might be confused between ordering a sing pay-per-view movie (on the DirecTV channels in the 100s) and doing this process, which gets you "day-by-day" immediate access to the various movie channels -- HBO, Showtime, etc.

Please clarify what you want to do.

thanks,
-matt
mgarland is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #171 (Print)
angra

some folks in a non dtv discussion board that I frequent say that they have been told that they will now be hit with a $10 charge for downgrade in <30 days. Anyone else heard this, or know any facts?

Old 09-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #172 (Print)
HogarthNH
DirecTV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angra
some folks in a non dtv discussion board that I frequent say that they have been told that they will now be hit with a $10 charge for downgrade in <30 days. Anyone else heard this, or know any facts?

They're correct.
I'm not sure of the charge, but it's happening.
HogarthNH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #173 (Print)
DMHinCO
Blithering Idiot

Yes, this feature of the DirecTV website is a thing of the past.

I blame whoever asked.

DMHinCO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #174 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250