SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #1 (Print)
This is my rifle
Once a Marine...

2 TiVos Wireless

Great site!!!

Hopefully someone can help someone who really needs it
(the former would be one of you TiVo gurus, the latter would be me)

I have a 3 year-old TiVo (series 2, I think. Service # starts with 240).

I also have a computer that has cable internet, plus I have a wireless router that allows me to have an internet connection for my laptop.

Here is where I need help:

I want to buy another TiVo box (for the bedroom) and I'd like to make the 2 boxes be able to connect to the TiVo service through the internet (currently I dial in) AND make it so that both boxes can share what is recorded on each.

That can be done, right?

OK... assuming that it can, what would I need to buy?

I know I need to buy another TiVo box (duh).
I guess that I would need 2 USB adapters (1 for each, but seriously, I'm only guessing).
Anything else?

I would love to just order everything that I need from Best Buy, and then go pick it up when it's ready.
Is it possible for anyone to help me buy the right stuff?

This is sort of a Christmas present for the alpha unit, so I'd love to be able to surprise her with a fully functional wireless TiVo setup.

Would anyone mind helping me with this?

Thanks
This is my rifle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #2 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
See http://www.tivo.com/getready

Since you have a WiFi router already, in theory all you need are the two USB WiFi adapters: http://www.tivo.com/adapters

You don't say if the router is 11b or 11g. You'd really rather have 11g, trust me.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #3 (Print)
This is my rifle
Once a Marine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Since you have a WiFi router already, in theory all you need are the two USB WiFi adapters

You don't say if the router is 11b or 11g. You'd really rather have 11g, trust me.

Wow. Thanks.
That was a fast reply.

But I need to ask why you believe that I'd rather have an 11g router.
I currently have an 11b, that much I know. Plus I have 2 laptops that have PC Cards(?), so if I buy an 11g, then I would need to change everything, right?

And if I only need to buy USB WiFi adapters, will the adapters just connect automatically like the laptops do?
(I never setup the laptops, they just found the signal and connect that way).

Seriously, I'm far less informed about this stuff than I might sound (or then again, maybe not. Maybe I sound as clueless as i feel )

Anyway...
Will I regret an 11b if I stay with it?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #4 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
11g is 54Mbps max, 11b a 11Mbps max - real world you get maybe half of those effective. While the TiVo can't take full advantage of 11g, the CPU peaks out first, it is definitely faster than 11b - very noticably. Since one of the things you say you want to do is move shows between the units (and perhaps to a PC?), then 11g will provide faster transfers.

If you get an 11g router it will support both 11b and 11g, so you don't need to update the laptops to 11g. You can do it later on if you want, but 11g and 11b interoperate - just at the lower 11b speed, of course.

The TiVo's will walk you through configuring the WiFi adapters.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #5 (Print)
This is my rifle
Once a Marine...

Thanks for the info megazone

I guess I should have asked this question earlier:

Will it cost me anything extra (in service) to make it so that my 2 TiVo's can use the internet to connect to the service (instead of dialing in) AND to let them swap shows from one to the other?

And also, maybe swapping shows between the TiVo's is a lower priority, so would I still need a 11g router if I was only using it to connect to the service for programming data?

(have I become a pest with all of these questions I'm just amazed by all of this info on this site
Very C L )
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #6 (Print)
windracer
Go Tribe!!

Send a message via AIM to windracer Send a message via Yahoo to windracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my rifle
Will it cost me anything extra (in service) to make it so that my 2 TiVo's can use the internet to connect to the service (instead of dialing in) AND to let them swap shows from one to the other?

Well, you'll need to pay for the service for the second box, but since you'll qualify for the multi-service discount, the second box would only cost you $6.95/mo (assuming neither box has lifetime service, of course).

Quote:
And also, maybe swapping shows between the TiVo's is a lower priority, so would I still need a 11g router if I was only using it to connect to the service for programming data?

11b would be sufficient for just the basic service connection, downloading Guide data, etc. But trust me, once you get hooked on multi-room viewing (MRV) and TiVoToGo (TTG), you'll want the faster router. G routers are pretty cheap nowadays.

Galleon 2.3.0 on Mandrake Linux 10
windracer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #7 (Print)
This is my rifle
Once a Marine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
11b would be sufficient for just the basic service connection, downloading Guide data, etc. But trust me, once you get hooked on multi-room viewing (MRV) and TiVoToGo (TTG), you'll want the faster router. G routers are pretty cheap nowadays.

Good point !

I guess I'm gonna just go for a new 11g router, 2 11g USB's adapters for the TiVo's, and maybe even 2 11g USB adapters for the laptops
It's Christmas... it's no time for Santa to be doing things on the cheap

But...
I gotta admit that I'm experiencing a bit of information overload right now.
I'm switching around between the TiVo website (for the compatable adapters), Best Buy's website (to find out if they sell the compatable adapters), and this site (to keep myself from making bad and uneducated choices).

So.... another question:
(can you stand another? )

The 11g adapter says "TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required"
Since I connect to the service weekly, shouldn't my software be the most current that is available

(I find this stuff fun... but very exhausting )
Old 12-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #8 (Print)
emwoods

Quote:
Good point !

I guess I'm gonna just go for a new 11g router, 2 11g USB's adapters for the TiVo's, and maybe even 2 11g USB adapters for the laptops
It's Christmas... it's no time for Santa to be doing things on the cheap

But...
I gotta admit that I'm experiencing a bit of information overload right now.
I'm switching around between the TiVo website (for the compatable adapters), Best Buy's website (to find out if they sell the compatable adapters), and this site (to keep myself from making bad and uneducated choices).

So.... another question:
(can you stand another? )

Since I connect to the service weekly, shouldn't my software be the most current that is available

(I find this stuff fun... but very exhausting )

You probably have the latest version, but this is not a guarantee. You can confirm by going to to the setup screen and navigating to the system information screen. It will tell you what the current version is on your Tivo.

For the most part, any version of a supported adapter will work, but there are exceptions, so make sure you get the right version if only specific version is supported. This is listed on the Tivo site. Usually, the version number is on the box. If you are ordering online then this may be difficult to determine. If you want to make it easy on yourself, just buy an adapter where you don't require a specific version.

Finally, set your expectations in terms MRV (multi-room viewing), TTG (Tivo-To-Go), etc. where you will be transferring programming to/from the TIVO boxes. It is way beyond this thread to talk about stuff you can do to make wireless bearable in these cases, but it will work using your configuration albeit S-L-O-W-L-Y. The speed will be fine for your daily calls to update your program guide.

My suggestion is to get the simple configuation you are installing working and then come back for help on what you can do to speed up things after that.
emwoods is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #9 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:

Yes, by now you're box probably has 7.2.1 or 7.2.1a. You can see the version in the system information screen.

The new box may come with older software, depending on when it was made, but you can connect it to the phone until it upgrades itself.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #10 (Print)
This is my rifle
Once a Marine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwoods
Finally, set your expectations in terms MRV (multi-room viewing), TTG (Tivo-To-Go), etc. where you will be transferring programming to/from the TIVO boxes. It is way beyond this thread to talk about stuff you can do to make wireless bearable in these cases, but it will work using your configuration albeit S-L-O-W-L-Y. The speed will be fine for your daily calls to update your program guide.

My suggestion is to get the simple configuation you are installing working and then come back for help on what you can do to speed up things after that.

OK... Best Buy has an 11g router (Netgear WGR614).
They also have the USB adapter (Netgear WG111), but apparently you guys are saying that I need to look on the packaging to determine if it is version 2

grrrrrrrrrrrrr... looks like I gotta make a visit to the actual store (the H-O-R-R-O-R ! ! ! )
Does it tell you what version it is on the packaging???
(or how do I find out what version it is, exactly )

and let's say I get the router... the correct version USB adapters... (and the new TiVo box)...
will the transfer of the recorded shows between the TiVo boxes be so slow that it will be frustrating
I was kinda hoping that this new TiVo setup will be lights-out cool. I'd hate to learn that the reality is actually something underwhelming.

I'm just a nudge from pulling the trigger on this purchase.
Does anyone feel that I should re-think this

(you guys have been a great help so far. So thank you very much )
Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #11 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I have my units both on 11g and I'm quite happy with it. Transfers are plenty fast enough for me. As for finding the adapter version - see http://www.tivo.com/adapters for info.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #12 (Print)
windracer
Go Tribe!!

Quote:
OK... Best Buy has an 11g router (Netgear WGR614).
They also have the USB adapter (Netgear WG111), but apparently you guys are saying that I need to look on the packaging to determine if it is version 2

I have that same router (a v3) and have been very happy with it.

As for the adapter, IIRC, the serial numbers on the box of the WG111V2s will start with WG72. Also (and this might not be true anymore), the V2s used to say "Made in China" on the box (vs. "Made in Taiwan"). Doing a search I found a bunch of threads, but I'll link to this one (since I participated in it ).

Quote:
will the transfer of the recorded shows between the TiVo boxes be so slow that it will be frustrating

This depends on a lot of other factors as well. You'll have the pure G wireless setup, you've got USB2.0 on your boxes, but what's the signal strength of each adapter? How far will the TiVos be from the router? What quality of recordings will you be transferring? (higher quality means larger file sizes = longer transfer times). I have been getting better than real-time transfers of medium quality recordings which usually allows me to actually FF through some commercials while watching the show that is still transferring. Sometimes I just need to queue up the transfer and let it run for a few minutes before starting to watch it.

Oh, and if you really want to maximize performance, there's always the Ultimate Wireless Network thread.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #13 (Print)
This is my rifle
Once a Marine...

I am very appreciative of all the help/advice/suggestions/comments.
This site is unbelievable !!!

Update on my progress:

I physically went to Best Buy (which wasn't the horror-show that I expected ).
They didn't have the particular 11g router that I wanted - but I got a comparable one (aka: more expensive).

They also did not have the 11g adapters. Well, actually they had them, but not the ones with the correct serial numbers.
I bought 2 anyway, since I figured that I could at least use them for my laptops.

I also got an 80hr box.

Then..........................................
Whilst driving home, I decided to detour into Computer City (or is it Comp USA? It was one of those).
I looked for the 11g adapters and BULLSEYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They not only had the correct serial #s... but they actually had TiVo Compatable stickers on them

Only 1 prob though:
The adapters were 54, not 108. Will that be a problem

Anyways... that's the deal.
I'm sure that the alpha unit will be happy regardless, so I can't wait to get things set up.
(that will be a new thread, I'm sure )

Again... THANK YOU ALL !!!

Merry Christmas
Happy Hanukah
Happy Kwanza
Happy Festivus
or uhh... Happy Winter for the rest of you

Old 12-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #14 (Print)
windracer
Go Tribe!!

Quote:
Only 1 prob though:
The adapters were 54, not 108. Will that be a problem

Others can chime in here (and I'm sure they will ) but the 54mbps ones were the ones you want. The 108mpbs adapters are technically proprietary and I don't think the TiVo could push data out fast enough for you to even take advantage of that extra speed.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #15 (Print)
emwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Others can chime in here (and I'm sure they will ) but the 54mbps ones were the ones you want. The 108mpbs adapters are technically proprietary and I don't think the TiVo could push data out fast enough for you to even take advantage of that extra speed.

To my knowledge no one using a unhacked Tivo box is getting much more than 7 - 8 Mbs, so buying the 108Mbs adapters probably will not buy you a whole lot since they will run no where near those speeds for more money than a vanilla g adapter. Usually, the router and the adapters have to be from the same company to get the full advertised speed, although there is some limited interoperability for some superset of standard g functionality.

There are reasons you do want to use b versus g such as coverage, etc., so going to g versus b definitely makes sense even if Tivo can't take advantage of the extra speed for TTG. For MRV it may make a difference in terms of speed, but I don't use MRV so I would not go to the bank on that.
emwoods is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 09:22 AM   #16 (Print)
netserf57

Send a message via Yahoo to netserf57
Question Ready, Shoot, Aim

Folks - I purchased a used Series two (TiVo Service Number starting with 140) and I ordered a wireless USB adapter (Netgear WG-111) because it worked with the Humax TiVo I just got). According to adapter knowledge base the adapter is not compatible and no 802.11G one is. Are there any chances that the Series Two can ever use 802.11g?

s/w version is 7.2.1
netserf57 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #17 (Print)
windracer
Go Tribe!!

The Series2 boxes are compatible with G adapters. The issue here is that your Series2 box is a 140, which means it only has USB1.1 ports on the back and thus cannot take advantage of G adapter speeds. You need USB2.0 ports, which only come on the S2 boxes that have service numbers that start with 2 or 5 (which includes the Toshiba and Humax boxes).