July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #1 (Print)
foofoo7777

TiVo and freeview and freesat

Hi folks,
have been using TiVo with Sky Digital over here in Ireland for past 3 years no problems. Have now got Freeview receiver ( to Astra ) and could possibly get a Sky Freesat card ( also to Astra) but no Sky digital aymore. Can Tivo use either of these systems effectively....or will my TiVo now be a manual video recorder. Also, with one of these signals going into TiVo can I record it...keeps wanting to change channels with sky digital channel numbering system with usual blue signal problem error....any help appreciated...

Adam
foofoo7777 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #2 (Print)
Fred Smith
Still learning

You are confusing Freeview (the UK's digital terrestrial service) with Sky's Freesat.

A Sky Freesat card will only work in a Sky digibox and it will only give you three FTV channels, Ch4, Five and Sky Three. All the other channels are either FTA or require a Sky subscription.

As to whether TiVo can control a non-Sky receiver, why not try it and see.

As to TiVo changing to Sky channel numbers, deselect those you cannot get in "Channels I Receive" and if you are using a non-Sky digital receiver see if you can renumber the channels to match Sky.

Or why not just keep using the Sky receiver?

Panasonic DRME-85HEBS, Labgear DTT 100 SetPal RGB, TechniSat CAM 1 Plus (Astra 1 & Hotbird) with JS Tech RGB to S-video converter, Pace MSS-100 (Astra 1C) composite video.

Philips DVDR 70, Pace BSB 2200 RGB, SkyEye T-Vo, Labgear DTT 100 SetPal composite video, Amstrad SRD 510 (Astra 1C) composite video.

Last edited by Fred Smith : 12-28-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Fred Smith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #3 (Print)
foofoo7777

Thanks Fred,
As I said I have a freeview receiver that gives me BBC 1,2,3,4, ITV 1,2,3 and other regional variations...and could buy a sky freesat card for my old sky digital box that will give me BBC 1,2,3,4,ITV 1,2,3 and channel 4 and 5 etc. I am just wondering if my TiVo can utilise either of these services....
Old 12-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #4 (Print)
Fred Smith
Still learning

I doubt you can receive Freeview as it's terrestrial service not satellite! You might receive it on the east coast of Ireland or near the NI border, but not in Cork.

TiVo works fine with Sky's Freesat service and a UK Freesat card.

As I said a Sky Freesat card will only give you three extra FTV channels, Ch4, Five and Sky Three.

Panasonic DRME-85HEBS, Labgear DTT 100 SetPal RGB, TechniSat CAM 1 Plus (Astra 1 & Hotbird) with JS Tech RGB to S-video converter, Pace MSS-100 (Astra 1C) composite video.

Philips DVDR 70, Pace BSB 2200 RGB, SkyEye T-Vo, Labgear DTT 100 SetPal composite video, Amstrad SRD 510 (Astra 1C) composite video.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #5 (Print)
foofoo7777

As I said earlier we do have Freeview with all the UK channels, bar ch 4 and 5, via satelite dish to Astra satelite. Great to hear that TiVo will work with UK Sky Freesat card and Sky box. How do you set this up as I have never seen this as an option during guided setup. Does the Freesat go in via scart or via RF into TiVo ?

Can anyone tell me how to setup Sky Freesat with TiVo.....simple lingo please.

Thanks,
Old 12-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #6 (Print)
Fred Smith
Still learning

This is going round in circles. You do not have FREEVIEW you have Sky FREESAT.

Connect the Sky digital receiver's TV Scart to the TiVo Aux Scart socket, then rerun the guided setup for Digital Satellite and then select only the channels you can actually receive.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:30 AM   #7 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

I think what he has is a free-to-air satellite receiver - giving him the free satellite signals which we get on Sky.

Freesat is a brand name for Sky Digital cards giving access to non-pay channels.

Freeview is a brand name for the digital terrestrial service in the UK.

Free-to-air is the name given to access channels which are openly available with no encryption.

Free-to-view is the name given to access channels which are free-of-charge but require a viewing card as they are encrypted.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #8 (Print)
foofoo7777

Thanks OzSat,
from your 4 descriptions I can say I have Sky Freesat and Free to air using separate receiver's and dishes. Now, which of these will work with TiVo, as I said I have been using TiVo with Sky digital for past 3 years no problems. Where will I find out which will work and how to set it up please?

foofoo7777
Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 AM   #9 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

There is no difference between Sky Freesat and Sky Digital - they are the same. It is just the viewing card has less channels available on a Freesat card.

But all the channels are numbered the same.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:35 AM   #10 (Print)
GarySargent

TiVo can control the changing of channels of some non Sky Digital satellite boxes - see my list http://www.tivoportal.co.uk/stb.htm

You'll have to setup your TiVo as a Sky Digital platform and ensure the channel numbers on the sat box match those on a Sky box.

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.
GarySargent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post