Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #1 (Print)
scole250

Humax 80 hr w/DVD burner questions

I'm thinking about buying a factory renewed Humax 80 w/DVD recorder from TIVO.

1. Are there any compatibility or networking problems that would prevent me from using the multi-room transfer feature with 80 hr or 140 hr Tivo Series 2 units?

2. Can you burn DVDs on the Humax and play them on any other DVD player? It's not an burn and play from the same unit thing is it?

Thanks,

Steve
scole250 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #2 (Print)
David in Wichita
TIVO n' More

Hi Steve:
Enjoy your Humax 80, I got one to go with my TIVO series 2 about three months ago and everything works very well together. Both are running wireless and "talk" to each other great. Yes, you can burn DVD on the Humax and then play them back on someone elses DVD.
Enjoy!!
David in Wichita

Humax 80, SW 7.2
Wireless home network, Tivo Desktop 2.2
Windows XP SP2
David in Wichita is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #3 (Print)
alexcue

ok, I don't use this with other SA TiVo's so i can't say for sure, but I've read that you can't transfer and burn programs from Regular (Non-DVD) TiVo's because they record in a different format than the DVD-Tivo's do.

On #2, the DVD's play fine on most "modern" dvd players. It could have trouble (first hand experience), with some older players. You just have to check to make sure they play.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #4 (Print)
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcue
...I've read that you can't transfer and burn programs from Regular (Non-DVD) TiVo's because they record in a different format than the DVD-Tivo's do.

Thanks for the heads up on that. Upon further research it appears that only shows originally recorded on the Humax can be saved to DVD. You can record input from a VCR (any device I guess) and save to DVD, but it's probably easier to just record to an external DVD recorder.
scole250 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 07:59 PM   #5 (Print)
petew

I have both a DRT-800 and SA Tivo's. MRV works perfectly in both directions between the units. The only issue is that only recordings made on the DRT-800 can be saved to DVD. Personally I don't find this to be too big an issue since I generally know ahead of time which shows I plan to save and can plan to record them on the DRT-800.

Comparing the DRT-800 to a SA Tivo and external DVD Recorder, the big advantage to the Humax is time and convinence. Just select the shows to be saved and starting recording, 4hrs of TV can be saved in 15 minutes. With an external recorder it would take 4hrs. You also get Tivo style menus and program guide data saved to the DVD.

Home Media Option: $0
No conflicts and no arguments: Priceless
petew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post