July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #1 (Print)
Publius

Send a message via MSN to Publius
Basic Basic DVR Suggestions

I don't want to be one of those naysayers suggesting that TiVo has misssed the boat and is about to be a sinking ship BUT... I am concerned how my beloved company seems to be falling farther and farther behind. Here are my thoughts on how they could catch up:

1. WishList
Improved functions to:
- restrict searches to particular channels
- search for years a show was made in
- layer searches (looking for a title with a particular keyword)
- display the search dynamically (a la Google Suggest) as you're proceeding with the search next to the Ouija board / menu

2. GUI
- Display the show unobstructed in the corner while you're viewing the Program Guide
- Better menu dynamics: I really love the Moxi GUI. For example, the ability to select the movies category and have all the movies appear above is genius!
- Much better integration of the Music, Games and More section... it is really sloppy and doesn't allow the user to sort programs on it. Having said that, I don't consider this a basic function and would gladly sacrifice it for the other features mentioned here.
- Have the TiVo display shows on its Now Playing list differently when they have been viewed completely or viewed partially
- Customizeability:
- Allow users to put programs in self-created folders
- Search functionality that allows you to search what's on your TiVo and find it quickly using the Ouija board and dynamic searching as suggested above
- HD space indicator: I don't know what is taking so long on this. My guess is that it is two things: 1. Worry about new users seeing how little space they have. (So enable it to be toggled and have it off when the user first gets their TiVo.); and 2. Concern that it does not reflect program recording quality (Then enable the user to toggle between recording quality levels to see how many hours they have.)

3. TiVo Suggestions
Overall, I think that TiVo is underutilizing TiVo Suggestions. The competition does not have Suggestions and it could be a big TiVo advantage. I am happy to hear of their recent patent filing to try and better personalize Suggestions for each user. In addition to this, I would recommend:
- It would be great if TiVo could show you a list of live TV show suggestions at the flick of a button. Now, I realize that many of us don't use live TV, but I think this might encourage me to use it more.
- Give us the ability to see suggestions not just when we have empty hard-drive space, but also when we are full. Allow us to pick from the suggestions menus according to category (e.g., movies, sports, reality tv, etc.)
- Allow your ratings to be transferred between TiVos
- Over and above (ie., not basic, but would be cool):
-Import ratings. Create a simple way to import your Netflix ratings into your TiVo.
-TiVo Community ratings. Integrate the multitude of TiVo users out there into one community and display what they're rating well and poorly (assuming that they opt in to participate) dynamically through HME. Here is where TiVo could leverage first-to-market status as a competitive advantage. Extending beyond this, you should be able to choose like users for more personalized ratings.

4. Multi-TiVo support
- When my TiVo has a conflict because it's recording multiple shows, I don't want to have to go upstairs to get the other show I want to record on the other TiVo. This is so basic (in terms of bandwidth requirements) and has been suggested for so long that it really disturbs me how it has not been done yet.
- Multiple transfers with a checklist to do mass show transfers between TiVos at the end of the day
- Automatic transfers for when you are recording a show on the TiVo upstairs just because the TiVo downstairs is otherwise occupied

5. Seasons Passes
- Have TiVo tell you when a Seasons Pass you have is for a show that was recently cancelled.

OTHER: HME
I personally think that the way TiVo has done HME is clunky and it seems more so every time I use it. I know that some of these will be fixed when they offer hosted apps, but here are some ways that I think HME could really be integrated on a TiVo. If I want to play games on my TV, I'll get an XBox (but maybe that's just me). I want HME to enhance my use of the DVR. For example:
- RSS of sports scores, news displayed on top of the show you're watching so you don't have to switch back and forth between shows.
- integration of TV web talk into the TiVo

One last request: Don't make me go shopping DVRs when you do add these features because you won't support 90% of them on the Series 2. Do that and you're almost guaranteed to lose users.

Any other thoughts?
Publius is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #2 (Print)
Publius

Oops, one GUI thing I forgot:

A calendar view of your TiVo.. both backwards and forwards.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:49 AM   #3 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

A couple of moments while reading your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
- Give us the ability to see suggestions not just when we have empty hard-drive space, but also when we are full.
You can always get a list of suggestions. (I forget the exact menu path, but the shortcut from the main menu is "8" on the numpad.)

Or did you mean you'd be willing to give up a chunk of disk space to dedicate to suggestions?

Quote:
5. Seasons Passes
- Have TiVo tell you when a Seasons Pass you have is for a show that was recently cancelled.
When you say "TiVo" here, do you mean the company or the box? Because I don't think that info is even in the guide data.
NoCleverUsername is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 PM   #4 (Print)
Phyllis1!

I do not want any suggestions. How do I turn them off?
Phyllis1! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 10:21 AM   #5 (Print)
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis1!
I do not want any suggestions. How do I turn them off?
Too lazy to find the correct link, however this tivo support page dealing with suggestions not being recorded starts off by telling you how to turn them off.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #6 (Print)
wbrownell9

Excellent ideas, you've spent considerable time thinking this through.

Here's another, based on a recent experience: If the network connection is lost, fail over to the phone line and display a message. Cover all scenarios: network failure to phone line; network failure to no phone line; phone to network, phone to no network.

I don't use the home media options too often so it was purely by accident that I stumbled on the fact that my program guide didn't go out 2 weeks like it should. It turned out that I'd lost my network connection over a week earlier!

Also the ability to fine-tune season passes: The Daily Show comes on in several time slots each day ; I'd like to be able to record only one of them. They're on the same channel, so I can't restrict by channel; they have the same program description ("An irreverent take on the day's news" or something) so I can't restrict by "first run only". My workaround is to manually set up a daily Season Pass but that's a lot of button pushing
wbrownell9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 05:17 AM   #7 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownell9
Here's another, based on a recent experience: If the network connection is lost, fail over to the phone line and display a message. Cover all scenarios: network failure to phone line; network failure to no phone line; phone to network, phone to no network.

I don't use the home media options too often so it was purely by accident that I stumbled on the fact that my program guide didn't go out 2 weeks like it should. It turned out that I'd lost my network connection over a week earlier!
If you hadn't caught it when you did, the TiVo would have eventually started complaining about not having made a successful daily "call" for some time (I think the actual message is a little more specific as to the time frame.)

So chances are you only would have missed noticing that something was wrong if you weren't using the TiVo at all for two weeks straight.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #8 (Print)
Publius

Apologies for the delayed response to some of the above messages, but...

1. Doesn't TiVo Suggestions show no suggestions when your TiVo is full?

2. When a series is cancelled, you rightfully suggest that it's not announced in the guide. My suggestion would be that they either get the info from TV Guide (who would have it) or use the forums here or elsewhere to report it to members. It's a cheap "a-ha" feature that would help TiVo users to realize that they've got something a little more special than your typical NDS box.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 AM   #9 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Apologies for the delayed response to some of the above messages, but...

1. Doesn't TiVo Suggestions show no suggestions when your TiVo is full?
The recording of suggestions only happens when there is free space, but I don't see what that has to do with the box being able to simply generate a list of suggestions, which is what I was referring to in my original reply.

Quote:
2. When a series is cancelled, you rightfully suggest that it's not announced in the guide. My suggestion would be that they either get the info from TV Guide (who would have it) or use the forums here or elsewhere to report it to members. It's a cheap "a-ha" feature that would help TiVo users to realize that they've got something a little more special than your typical NDS box.
That's already happening here via the Now Playing (there's even a sticky thread at the top) & Season Pass Alerts forums. Granted, it's being done by the community and not by TiVo, Inc. but at least it's there and available to anyone who cares to look.

But having the info on a public forum also means that someone with "your typical NDS box" can just as easily use the info as well, so I'm not sure how you would spin that to be a cool TiVo feature. Not to mention, as you suggest, that the information is readily available from TV Guide (or futoncritic and similar sites) which is where people seem to be getting that info to post here in the first place.

Last edited by NoCleverUsername : 12-08-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #10 (Print)
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCleverUsername
The recording of suggestions only happens when there is free space, but I don't see what that has to do with the box being able to simply generate a list of suggestions, which is what I was referring to in my original reply.
As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the TiVo already does this. If you look in the TiVo Suggestions menu* it always lists TiVo suggestions, even when the hard disk is full. It just won't record any of them unless there is space.

*You get to this menu either by
TiVo Central -> Pick a Program to Record -> TiVo Suggestions.
-or-
TiVo Central then press 8 on the remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCleverUsername
That's already happening here via the Now Playing (there's even a sticky thread at the top) & Season Pass Alerts forums. Granted, it's being done by the community and not by TiVo, Inc. but at least it's there and available to anyone who cares to look.

But having the info on a public forum also means that someone with "your typical NDS box" can just as easily use the info as well, so I'm not sure how you would spin that to be a cool TiVo feature. Not to mention, as you suggest, that the information is readily available from TV Guide (or futoncritic and similar sites) which is where people seem to be getting that info to post here in the first place.
The extra feature could be a conditional message sent out to all TiVos but only appearing on TiVos with a matching season pass that alerts the user that the show has been canceled.
They don't have to look for that information, but the cancellation notice would be targeted only to those people who reasonably would want to know. i.e. those who had a season pass set.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #11 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S
As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the TiVo already does this. If you look in the TiVo Suggestions menu* it always lists TiVo suggestions, even when the hard disk is full. It just won't record any of them unless there is space.

*You get to this menu either by
TiVo Central -> Pick a Program to Record -> TiVo Suggestions.
-or-
TiVo Central then press 8 on the remote.
That someone was me. See post #3. I was attempting to restate as the OP's response seemed to indicate that this point didn't get across the first time.

Thanks for posting the menu path, though. I was too lazy to look it up and my TiVos are still packed from moving.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:37 AM   #12 (Print)
Publius

Thanks. I for some reason thought that the TiVo suggestions didn't continue to generate when your hard-drive was full. For some reason, mine is empty. but I tested it by filling my hard drive in the last few days and sure enough, you're right. Wonder why mine gets empty from time-to-time?

I would really like to still get the community of TiVo users into the suggestion feature some how. For example, I am finding the Now showing community a great source of good shows. Would be awesome if this environment could be replicated with Tivo-like simplicity on the TiVo. But thanks for correcting me on that one point.