TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #1 (Print)
bak8041

Question Does this mean that this hard drive is on the way out?!

Question:

I have a two hard drive Series 1 TiVO.

The recordings were VERY jumpy and the menu response was horrendous. Therefore, I removed both hard drives and test them.

I obtained the Maxtor diagnostic utility and tested each of them. One came back with no errors and was detected immedately. The other one also reports no errors too, yet it took the BIOS almost one minute to detect it. The cable is lined up correctly, jumper set correctly, and BIOS set to automatically detect. Does this indicate a dying hard drive?

I am going to format and load a virgin image onto the first hard drive, scrapping the second. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or this or had any experience with pain in the ass hard drives.
bak8041 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 07:36 PM   #2 (Print)
jtown

Detection time means nothing. Did you run the long test or the 90 second test?

TurboNet
jtown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 07:38 PM   #3 (Print)
bak8041

I ran the short test.

I am using a PIII-450 and I gave up after 4 hours of running the long test. Is it worth it to run the long test? How long should a long test take (approx. that is) for an 80GB hard drive? 120GB hard drive?
bak8041 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 PM   #4 (Print)
jtown

The short test can miss problems. Run the long one. It'll take as long as it takes (your computer is plenty fast and isn't the bottleneck). No way to predict the time accurately. The more problems it encounters, the longer it'll take. Unless it encounters too many unfixable problems and terminates with a "your drive is hosed" type message. A well and truly trashed hard drive can trigger that message in minutes.

The best result is "no problems". Second best is "there's problems I can try to fix". Then you say "fix it" and hope it comes back with "problems fixed". Second worst is that one followed by "couldn't fix it". Worst is "write down this code and call Maxtor".

Start the small drive when you get home from work. With a bit of luck, it'll be done before you go to bed and you can switch for the bigger drive which, hopefully, will be done before you have to leave. But, again, it'll take as long as it takes.

You should try securely erasing data from a failing drive. That can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

TurboNet
jtown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:02 AM   #5 (Print)
Bryanw20

My S1 just started to do the same, choppy play. I just assumed it was the drive as it was the origional 14hr drive from 5-6 years ago. After listening to drive compared to the other drives I know it was on it's way out. So I just folled the instructions here and popped in a old 40G I had collecting dust and now have a 24h bedroom tivo vs 8

So if you haven't I'd atleast make a backup image now just in case!
Bryanw20 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post