TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #1 (Print)
kap0w

Drive upgrade with a twist - please help!

Ok.... I have a series 2 that came stock with a 40 gig drive. A long time ago I added a second drive (120 gig) to push me up to 160 total. I happen to now be in posession of a few more 120s that are going to waste, so I'd like to replace the original 40 with a 120. Now if I hadn't added that other drive and I just wanted to do the straight swap, that wouldn't be any problem, but I am a little unsure of what peculiarities there are to adding a larger first drive when you already have a second drive in. If I follow instructions for replacing the primary drive, will I have to do anything else because there is a second drive in there? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
kap0w is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #2 (Print)
TubaMan-Z
Love good tuba

The basic outline of what you need to do can be found in this thread -> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=278058

DirecTV since 1996
RCA DVR39 (144 hrs), 2003, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR40 (35 hrs), 2004
Philips DSR708 (136 hrs), 2005, Zippered 12/05

<><
TubaMan-Z is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #3 (Print)
kap0w

Ah... Thanks! That is just what I needed... the thread doesn't note if it worked, but it looks like it can be done. I just know how distraught I'll be if I blow up the TiVo
Old 12-26-2005, 11:05 PM   #4 (Print)
TubaMan-Z
Love good tuba

It doesn't note if it worked 'cause I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Waiting for a good deal someplace on a 120GB or larger drive. Feel free to share your experience here.

DirecTV since 1996
RCA DVR39 (144 hrs), 2003, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR40 (35 hrs), 2004
Philips DSR708 (136 hrs), 2005, Zippered 12/05

<><
TubaMan-Z is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 12:00 AM   #5 (Print)
kap0w

I did it this afternoon - everything worked just like everyone said. A couple upgrade related (not specific related) notes:

1. The dd to copy the data from the 40 gig to the new 160 gig (recognized as 137, but fine with me) took a pretty long time. I'd guess something like 6 hours, so get ready for the wait.

2. I blew a ton of dust out of the case and one of my fans was pretty loud for a second but it seems back to normal now.

3. Everything booted just fine the first time but 28 minutes into the first show (recorded before the upgrade), the TiVo froze completely. I pulled the power and rebooted, and the TiVo came up halfway and then rebooted again. It booted fine after that though and it's fine now - I wish there was a way to verify the integrity of the data on the disk or something. TiVo doesn't include anything like that, does it? I'm not zapping all my recordings - things seem fine. I'd just like to know if there was a utility built in to make sure things were ok. Or does TiVo do something like that in the background?