Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #1 (Print)
jkarzak

Thumbs up Switching hd from monthly unit to lifetime unit

Help! I have a Tivo series 2 unit that is under the lifetime subscription. Today it became very noisy. I suspect either the fan or the hard drive is on its last leg.

Fortunately (maybe), I have another series 2 unit that I am not using. I did not purchase the lifetime contract, instead...I chose the monthly fee option when I purchased it. Nonetheless, I am not using this unit at the moment. Here is where I need the help:

1. Is there anyway to convert the monthly fee unit to the lifetime unit by...I don't know, changing something inside maybe?

2. If #1 is not an option, is it possible to switch the hard drives? If so, are there any tricks to doing such and/or any ramifications from Tivo?

Thanks for you help. I really appreciate the assistance.

John
jkarzak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #2 (Print)
HomeUser

1. NO life-time is tied to the mother board.

2. Yes, Yes, Yes

You could use the HD/software from the other TiVo if they are of the same model.

Because the settings and programs are keyed to the mother board you must clear and delete everything to get it to work.

So far TiVo has been very good about allowing the users to replace the hard drives however the upgrade is not supported by TiVo also may void the warranty.

With the price of Hard Drives you could get a larger drive (many more hours) I've see 160G EIDE (PATA) drives on sale for under $50 US and very good sale prices on 200G and 400G drives. If you are going to open the box to swap the drives anyway you might as well go for more recording hours it is not to difficult requires a PC that has an IDE interface capable of booting form CD. Brows the stickys at the top of this forum for dos and don'ts.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #3 (Print)
smads1

Transerfering Disks between Series 1 units

I have 2 svr-2000's, one with a lifetime subscription. I just purchased a series 2 TiVo and plan to decommission one of the series 1 units.

I would like to move the disk from the unit without the lifetime sub (120 GB) to other unit (they are both svr-2000's with single drives). Is it possible to just transfer the disk? I would like to be able to keep the recordings on the disk that will be transferred.

Are the disks in the older series 1's (active since 2000) keyed to the machine?

I have upgraded in the past, but I was hoping there might be a short cut in this case.

Any help would be appreciated.
smads1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #4 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Nope, Series 1 TiVos are keyed to the mobo as well.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post