July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #1 (Print)
achookang

Can't watch "regular" TV or feed from VCR - only via TiVo

Hi all,

I have an infuriating problem with my tivo setup.

I have a very simple bog-standard setup - Tivo + VCR + TV off aerial input. t is connected exactly as in example 2 p. 76 in the Tivo manual. The only modification to the Tivo unit is a new 120GB HDD installed about 8months ago.

All was well until yesterday when I had to disconnect my mains power briefly for some other work. Upon restoring the mains power, the ability to watch TV using its own tuner, and also to watch anything off the VCR has gone.

Previously TiVo was viewed on the EXT2 SCART socket of my ancient Philips 28PW6332/05 w/s TV. (the DVD player is connected to the EXT1 SCART (RGB), and a games console connected to the front E2 Y/C S-VHS connector).

To watch Tivo (which I can still do, and watching live TV this way is currently the only way I can watch TV) I select the EXT2 channel on the TV and away I go. However when I want to watch a video, I used to press the VCR by-pass button, and now all I get is a dark snowstorm. Also if I want to watch live TV via the TV's own tuner (e.g. if I want to watch another channel other than the one that Tivo is currently recording, or if I want to use teletext, I used to simply select the relevent numbered channel on the TV remote. Now this doesn't work. It seems the channels are still there but cannot be properly tuned. If I go through the usual tuning process for the TV I can find all the 5 terrestrial channels but only through a big snowstorm (i.e. very poor recpetion). Since I can watch them clearly via Tivo's tuner I'm guessing something weird has happened in the chain from wall aerial socket - tivo - VCR - TV

I haven't changed any of the physical connections.

Also the tv tuner is working ok - if I connect the aerial directly to the TV, I can tune in as normal.

Any ideas. It's probably something really simple, but I can't work it out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alan

Last edited by achookang : 08-21-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: original title vague
achookang is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 AM   #2 (Print)
Glesgie

Try splitting the aerial input as it goes into the TiVo, one to the TiVo, one to the TV.
Sounds like the RF output from the TiVo is fried.
Glesgie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #3 (Print)
achookang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glesgie
Try splitting the aerial input as it goes into the TiVo, one to the TiVo, one to the TV.
Sounds like the RF output from the TiVo is fried.

Thanks, I'll try that. However, would this explain why I cannot view video from the VCR? The VCR bypass button just brings up a mostly black but slightly snowstormy screen.

yours, confused...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 AM   #4 (Print)
Glesgie

Yes, If the TiVo RF output is bad, then the input to the VCR is bad.

If the split works for viewing TV, then move it from the TV to the VCR and see if that works.
Glesgie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2005, 04:19 AM   #5 (Print)
achookang

Delayed reply: after taking the VCR out of the loop it was obvious that it (the VCR) and not the Tivo that was the problem! (well it was over 10 years old)