Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #301 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic

How much viewership does the typical SpikeTV show get? What were they honestly expecting?

Same show but on ABC would have lofted those numbers into the 10 million range. You can't expect 10 million people to watch SpikeTV. Do ten million people even GET SpikeTV?

Ratings are relative. How many people COULD watch the show? How many people DID watch it? How does that compare to the typical show on that network? How did it compare to the early Joe Schmo episodes, for a more direct comparison?

Plain and simple, were the ratings close to what was reasonably expected?

Old 04-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #302 (Print)
SparkleMotion
Hot Patootie!

Spike used to be TNN (The Nashville Network and later The National Network), so assuming they retained a high percentage of cable systems after the change, that's a fairly good amount of system saturation.
SparkleMotion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #303 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
If I remember right, the JS (1) finale got roughly 3.4 million viewers, which is basically a "top-rated basic cable show". The wrasslers usually get in the 3-4 million range on that same network.

The numbers listed above for II were roughly in the ballpark of the JS2 finale. I have no idea what Spike normally gets in that time slot.

You know, Muggum is probably tired of hearing me say this, but it's probably a good thing if they move on from Spike. The whole experience with the first show was wonderful, but they bungled everything since. And the above poster was right...this show really did not belong on Spike TV. (And I see the WP's TV critic is up to her usual inaccuracy.)

I just hope another cable, or even broadcast, network sees what I see, and lifts the next RW show into a more prominent position with a more compatible audience.
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #304 (Print)
DiamondGirl

"opening with a so-so 765,000 viewers and wrapping on April Fools' Day with a disastrous 553,000"

The numbers aren't too surprising, even though the show received quite a bit of pre-air press. Truth be told, the show really wasn't very good.
DiamondGirl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #305 (Print)
atrac
TiVolian Model One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl
"opening with a so-so 765,000 viewers and wrapping on April Fools' Day with a disastrous 553,000"

The numbers aren't too surprising, even though the show received quite a bit of pre-air press. Truth be told, the show really wasn't very good.

I have to disagree with you 100%. I thought the show was *excellent*.

But then again, you're not right nor wrong...and neither am I. That's why we have the word "opinion."
atrac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #306 (Print)
zordude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl

I thought the show was great. I will admit that in my opinion the first episode was the weakest.

Z
zordude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 02:13 AM   #307 (Print)
muggum

There's nothing you can do about soft ratings except suck it up and take it like a man, which is what we're trying to do. Obviously, the numbers were somewhat disappointing. But it was an uphill battle. Zero off-air marketing dollars spent (literally). A virtually unprecedented reality miniseries format, which required viewers to watch 4 straight nights. No chance for word of mouth. The worst competition on TV (American Idol on night #2). Ending on a dreaded Friday night. And a complex show that required a lot of exposition in its first episode to avoid complete confusion, which made it a little slow to get going. Was our show perfect? Of course not. Was it a ton better than its ratings indicate? I think so.

The only thing that pisses me off about the Washington Post article - and it does piss me off - is the assertion that Riverside residents are 'steamed.' The writer implies that we received karmic justice for upsetting people. It's simply a falsehood, the result of sheer laziness and unprofessionalism on the part of the writer. I personally attended both the reveal to the town in September and the Riverside premiere in March, and Riverside is far from steamed. I've sat through standing ovations, raucous laughter, sustained applause, autograph sessions, etc. All this so-called reporter had to do was pick up a phone, make *one* call - or simply watch the show - or read any of the articles written by reporters with first-hand knowledge of our premiere night, and she would have learned as much. She chose instead to lazily report a falsehood. She failed at her job. Her job. And we don't need ratings to tell us so.
muggum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #308 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
You tell 'em, Rhett.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #309 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

The WP reporter's attitude is a perfect example of the kind of hauteur posing as humility that she accuses Shatner and the producers of. Those poor little Iowans. Those poor, sensitive, backward Iowans who could never hope to understand our modern world with its crazy television pranks and outrageous humor. I must protect them. I such a good person.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 09:08 AM   #310 (Print)
NJChris
Moogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggum
There's nothing you can do about soft ratings except suck it up and take it like a man, which is what we're trying to do. Obviously, the numbers were somewhat disappointing. But it was an uphill battle. Zero off-air marketing dollars spent (literally). A virtually unprecedented reality miniseries format, which required viewers to watch 4 straight nights. No chance for word of mouth. The worst competition on TV (American Idol on night #2). Ending on a dreaded Friday night. And a complex show that required a lot of exposition in its first episode to avoid complete confusion, which made it a little slow to get going. Was our show perfect? Of course not. Was it a ton better than its ratings indicate? I think so.
I agree it was tons better than the ratings would indicate. I really like watching your shows. They have heart, unlike most other reality shows. What other reality shows care about the people in it? Most just want everyone to be mean to each other. Even if the ratings didn't show it, I thought the show was top notch. Even embarrased me in front of my friend when I got all teary eyed at the end.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #311 (Print)
muggum

Thx, guys, I'll stop ranting now! Nice to see that we brought some men to tears, and even more importantly, that they're able to admit it!

Foolmetwice, you totally nailed it. There's a condescending sense of noblesse oblige on the part of some of these reporters/critics. It's as if they think they're better qualified than the people of Riverside to determine what the people of Riverside think. Grrr...
muggum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #312 (Print)
Maui

Quote:
Thx, guys, I'll stop ranting now! Nice to see that we brought some men to tears, and even more importantly, that they're able to admit it!

You did not.....

I just had something in my eye...

Yeah, that's it!!!!

Old 04-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #313 (Print)
Maui

Okay, so you did bring tears to my eyes..

Just don't tell my softball team mates about it

Old 04-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #314 (Print)
pendragn

Quote:
It's as if they think they're better qualified than the people of Riverside to determine what the people of Riverside think. Grrr...

I'm from Iowa, so I had a keen interest in this. I've never seen any of your other shows, so I'm not sure whether I'd like them or not. I liked II. As a general rule, I don't enjoy being fooled and I take it far harder than I should. In that light, I would have probably reacted similarly to how Wayne did. And while I don't think I would have enjoyed being the butt of the joke, it certainly seemed like the Riversidians had a blast with it. I can't imagine projecting my feelings onto them. If they had fun I don't see anything wrong with it.

And for the record, the second Popo the Penguin story and the Crawler at the beginning of the "movie" were two of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a looooong time. Oh lord that was funny. Thanks Rhett.

tk

Old 04-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #315 (Print)
bonscott87
Medium Well

I'm suprised by the numbers, it was a good show. But it did have poor advertising. The only reason I knew the series exisited was from the ads during MXC (the only show on Spike we watch). I've never seen any other advertising for it. Too bad for Riverside because this show could have really jumped up their tourists. As it is my wife and I are thinking of driving the 5 and a half hours to check the town out sometime this summer. Assuming gas isn't $3 a gallon that is!

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-700 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
bonscott87 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #316 (Print)
SparkleMotion
Hot Patootie!

I bet you'll be able to buy "collector-to-collector" DVD sets of the series during Trekfest.

Every sci-fi convention I've been to has had VHS tapes (haven't gone to one since home DVD was available) of otherwise unreleased or OOP movies and shows available at them.
SparkleMotion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #317 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Send a message via AIM to YCantAngieRead
Having been a member of the dreaded media several years ago, it always gets my goat when a writer/critic doesn't do their homework, even with something small. No, most especially something small.

It's just not responsible journalism and is particularly annoying with larger papers.

New Here? Introduce Yourself!

YCantAngieRead is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 01:18 PM   #318 (Print)
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87
I'm suprised by the numbers, it was a good show. But it did have poor advertising. The only reason I knew the series exisited was from the ads during MXC (the only show on Spike we watch). I've never seen any other advertising for it. Too bad for Riverside because this show could have really jumped up their tourists. As it is my wife and I are thinking of driving the 5 and a half hours to check the town out sometime this summer. Assuming gas isn't $3 a gallon that is!

The only things I've watched on Spike have been muggum's shows. I don't even know what MXC is. The only way I knew about "Invasion Iowa" was from this "Now Playing" on TCF...

An oddly enough, I only found out about TCF because I was looking for discussions on "Joe Schmoe" (first one), which I heard about A LOT on radio ads (though I don't listen to the radio much anymore), but only watched it because a friend recommended it.
alpacaboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #319 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

With a lot of critics, Ms. DeMoraes most assuredly included, they feel the need to pump their column full of their own attitude. She's especially prone to this, since she followed a long-time, well-respected TV critic at the Post (John Carmody). When she first started doing the TV Column, many people commented that she was too bland...maybe she feels the need to overcompensate by injecting her own, poorly-supported opinions into the column.

It appears Ms. DeMoraes is incapable of performing a simple Google search, to find the articles that I posted all over this board. And it's also apparent that she lacks the skills to contact Spike TV and have them provide her with an interview with a certain executive producer who graces these boards himself.

Don't feel too bad about it, Rhett. Despite her position at a high-profile newspaper, Lisa DeMoraes is not nearly as well regarded as her predecessor. Visit DCRTV.com sometime and see them talk about her...this is far from the first time she's been clueless.

Rhett...I've only told you this about 50 times (and you always respond the same way )... perhaps it's time to find a cable or even broadcast network that can do your productions justice. I know you have loyalty to Spike due to what they did for you with JS1, but... they clearly don't know how to handle RW productions, and you would almost HAVE to be able to find a broader audience for your stuff on other networks. Soapbox mode off...
Old 04-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #320 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Inundated knows too much stuff.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #321 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Oh, you'd be SHOCKED at what I DON'T know.

Outside of media-related stuff...my knowledge base decreases drastically!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #322 (Print)
jrinck
Certified Neurotic

The only Spike shows I have ever watched are Invasion Iowa, the Schmo series, and Oblivious.

There are only two reasons why I knew of Invasion Iowa, though, and the primary one is that I am an ardent member of the William Shatner Fan Club, and the other is because of the threads here.

Were I not a Shatner fan or a member of this forum, it is conceivable that I would not have known this show was going to be on at all.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #323 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

I agree, plus if I had not gotten hooked in JS, I wasn't a big Shatner fan and the "First TV For Men" would have probably scared me away.

I'll bet, though, if and when it comes out on DVD, Shatner fans alone would carry the sales.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #324 (Print)
doom1701
I blue myself!

I'm into the middle of the second episode now--this show is just shear brilliance. I couldn't stop laughing last night.

I've got a blog again; wonder how long this one will last?
doom1701 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #325 (Print)
f44

muggum,

I really think you should write a letter to the writer at The Washington Post and show that you guys aren't like some of the other reality producers out there who trick to be mean.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #326 (Print)
f44

SpikeTV.com has the full Invasion Iowa "movie" that was made.
f44 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post