Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2005, 08:16 AM   #151 (Print)
Bamiller3

Send a message via AIM to Bamiller3
Just got the upgrade Sat. night on my DVR40. I gotta say, I see almost no speed improvements. It might have something to do with the low number of recordings/SP's I have. I have around 15-20 SP's and about 50 recorded shows. I don't even notice a difference in the guide speed. Maybe my speed wasn't as slow as most before the upgrade. I do like the folders though!

Old 05-23-2005, 08:58 AM   #152 (Print)
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Brent,
If you don't have a lot of SPs and shows on your DVR, the speed improvements will probably not be that obvious, but they are there. Our DSR7000s all have 160GB drives (though we are limited by the previous LBA32 limits) and each have 40+ SPs. The speed improvements have been huge.

Series 2 TiVo TCD240080, 80 hours - Lifetime Subscription w/HMO - Haulin' Tres
Series 2 DTiVos (3 x DSR7000s), 120+ hours
HDTiVo HR10-250, 200SD/30HD hours
PrimeRisk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #153 (Print)
AWAHOO

6.2 Changes

Just received my 6.2 upgrade yesterday. I haven't gone into much detail, but the only obvious change so far is that I had to re-program the 30 second skip.

The message I got referred to a manual for 6.2 changes, but I have been unable to find this on the D* website. Can anyone direct me to the right place to view the 6.2 changes?

Old 05-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #154 (Print)
umbighouse

Maryland- Got it today.
My wife called me this morning, "We've got folders!". She's very happy now because our Now Playing list no longer fills the entire screen with Wiggles recordings.

DirecTV H10
umbighouse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #155 (Print)
Richard Casto

Quote:
Originally Posted by regicat
I have been programming (assembler, etc) for 30+ years. I still do 6 days a week. I not only agree with Klaitu but wrote a letter to the DirecTV president telling him how some of my clients with 3 programmers get more done in 1 week than some with 50 programmers get done in two weeks. I have worked at over 200+ shops. I can tell you this is a rampant problem in the software industry. The industry has gone from "CAN DO (quickly)" to "We CAN'T do that". Programming used to be a profession with people taking pride. Now it's a bunch of "not my faults". Anyway, I can assure you the changes to 6.2 were not monumental and should have not taken anyway near this long. As for fixes... when someone reports a problem to me fixes are in production within 24-48 hours.

My opinion is that D* and/'or Tivo hired programmers right out of school and they are learning on the job. To top it off, management is being snowed by them as to how long changes take. I have seen this many times.........

Just my observations and opinion...

Here is my opinion and comments on what I have seen many times....

I have (and still do) work with some REALLY smart people who can impress me with specific technical skills and knowledge. However a few of them tend to also think they can walk on water and believe that they can't make mistakes. They tend to be the people who would accept the risk of pushing code directly into production environments just because they wrote it. Or, that they don't believe that QA could find something that they didn't during their own testing. Occasionally they are proven wrong. Does this change their behaviour? Sometimes yes. Many times no. People like this don't survive being project managers on complex projects. Luck will only get you so far.

Also, as others have noted, here. Who knows how much of any real or perceived delays are technical issues. I think someone made a statement about "work for a Fotune 500 company and you will understand". Large companies are slow grinding machines. If you want to rage against something, then comments about the lack of general responsiveness and lack of speedy change in large companies is IMHO a good target.

So (no offense), seeing someone who claims to have been in the industry for a long time play armchair quarterback on a project in which they probably have zero knowledge of the internal requirements (not perceived external requirements or features), etc. seems pretty outragous to me personally. Could things have been done quicker? I can't imagine that the answer is not "yes". But by how much? I don't have the detailed knowledge to say one way or other. I doubt many here do and if they did, they probably couldn't say.

Oh, and this is priceless....

"As for fixes... when someone reports a problem to me fixes are in production within 24-48 hours."

Maybe you just havent run up against some seriously complex problems yet. I have run across a number in my years that you just can't roll out a simple fix in a 24-48 hour period no matter how many "smart" people are working on it.

(1) Toshiba DST-3000 (HDTV and DirecTV)
(2) RCA Standard DirecTV Receiver

DirectTV Subscriber Since 12/1995
Richard Casto is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #156 (Print)
joeysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto
Here is my opinion and comments on what I have seen many times.... .

<snip>

"As for fixes... when someone reports a problem to me fixes are in production within 24-48 hours."

Maybe you just havent run up against some seriously complex problems yet. I have run across a number in my years that you just can't roll out a simple fix in a 24-48 hour period no matter how many "smart" people are working on it.
</snip>

Depends on your field. I have worked in the financial sector in NYC for the past 20+ yrs. If something gets screwed up affecting thousands of customers amounting to millions of dollars, it had better be fixed in that time frame or the entire company can go under. I have run into serious problems where trading activity and all related transactions had to be rolled back and rerun for a couple of days - but first you have to figure out where the problem was, then you have to deliver the fix along with the implementation plan on how you back out all the screwups, then rerun etc. etc. etc...

Everything's relative...

On a lighter note - "6.2 on my DirecTivo is alive, it's alive, it's alive!!!" , folders and speed benefits all apparent.

Last edited by joeysmith : 05-23-2005 at 01:03 PM.
joeysmith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #157 (Print)
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to KungFuCow Send a message via AIM to KungFuCow Send a message via MSN to KungFuCow
The man is still holding me down

Support your local skate shop!
www.asphaltbeach.com
KungFuCow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #158 (Print)
Richard Casto

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmith
Depends on your field. I have worked in the financial sector in NYC for the past 20+ yrs. If something gets screwed up affecting thousands of customers amounting to millions of dollars, it had better be fixed in that time frame or the entire company can go under. I have run into serious problems where trading activity and all related transactions had to be rolled back and rerun for a couple of days - but first you have to figure out where the problem was, then you have to deliver the fix along with the implementation plan on how you back out all the screwups, then rerun etc. etc. etc...

Everything's relative...

On a lighter note - "6.2 on my DirecTivo is alive, it's alive, it's alive!!!" , folders and speed benefits all apparent.

I agree. I think we are pretty much saying the same thing. While in your case you have to take some action right away (such as stop the problem from happening or from getting any worse). But you may have other constraints (such as the need to replay transactions which may take days to process). I regularly run into the situation in which there is no single "fix" that is correct for all affected parties and that days of analysis and client consultations needs to take place to determine the proper course of action. Obviously there are other things that can be fixed quickly.

Life is never as simple as you envision it should be.

Oh, and by the way. No 6.2 for me yet.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #159 (Print)
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto

Seriously complex problems should never make it to a "Production" environment. Detail oriented development, coding and system testing should not allow a serious issue to make to the general population.

Just my 2 cents........
kramerboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #160 (Print)
SteveHoltam

My HDVR2 hasnt made a call in 388 days, but will be next month. Will this cause problems with any of the software upgrades? Or am I better of just not plugging it in ever again?

Steve
SteveHoltam is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #161 (Print)
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

It depends whether or not you want the upgrades that have come out over the last year. The speed improvements in 6.2 are quite nice...especially if you have upgraded your capacity. But the other side of the coin is waiting for awhile to see if any significant bugs show themselves over the next month or so of the rollout.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #162 (Print)
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerboy
Seriously complex problems should never make it to a "Production" environment. Detail oriented development, coding and system testing should not allow a serious issue to make to the general population.

Just my 2 cents........

The issue may not be that there was anything wrong with the code when it went into production. I work in the oil and gas industry and what often represents a complex issue to fix is not an error, but a change in governmental regulation or changes in our business model. Often we have time to react to changes in the business model, but often governmental changes (EPA, FERC, RRC, etc) will drop regulation changes on us and we have 30 days or less to respond. By the time the regulation filters through Legal, Commercial, and Ops to decide what changes may be needed to processes and supporting IT systems, we may only have 2 weeks to analyze, design, build, test, QA, and implement. When it is simple changes to tariff or tax calculations, it's a breeze. When the issues are more complex, we have real challenges.

I think it is funny to see everyone speculate on how hard or easy it is to modify TiVo software. Whether or not they have gifted development teams or merely average joes manning the keyboards, I'm sure they spend a large portion of any project effort on testing. We all have a CE device hooked up to our TVs and there is little the average consumer can do to fix TiVo if a software update breaks the device. If a rollout is not thoroughly tested, they could end up with 1000s of dead boxes in the field. This would cost TiVo and/or D* huge amounts of money and future confidence in the product. I'm sure that if the TiVo Beta Testers could talk, they'd tell you about how long and hard they drill on new releases to work out all the bugs.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #163 (Print)
Richard Casto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerboy

Just my 2 cents........

Again, I agree. In a perfect world that would happen and we should try to make that happen. However in real world it doesn't always work that way. I am sure people here have had to deal with legacy applications in which you have the application code, but those that did the design, analysis, testing, etc. are long gone, etc. Problems may not show up or be discovered until you are the one that has to fix it. Maybe even when they did the initial design, they thought they had covered all the bases!

As someone already mentioned something broke their assumptions (i.e. regulatory changes) or the condition that broke it just didn't happen to show up until years later.

I still don't have 6.2.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:43 PM   #164 (Print)
apollo8fan

Send a message via Yahoo to apollo8fan
Finally got the update today (Monday the 23rd) here in Southern Indiana. Been forcing calls once a day, but paid off today.

apollo8fan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post