Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #1 (Print)
spincut

is directv pulling its tivo support?

they've always been very lazy about offering the same perks as regular tivo through software updates.

but now i'm seeing Direct TV DVR's. does this mean they're done with Tivo? what is to become of my DirectTV tivo box? not like they kept its software nearly up to date anyway, but doesnt that mean they arent even going to bother with software updates anymore?

if for whatever reason i have to get a new tivo box in the future, i dont want to have to end up with a direct TV dvr instead, i LIKE the iv software!!!
spincut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #2 (Print)
Steve1212

Send a message via AIM to Steve1212 Send a message via Yahoo to Steve1212
spincut - seems like you've been under a rock lol. It looks like in 2006 no more software upgrades will be offered. Guide Data will of course be sent.

Steve1212 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #3 (Print)
mphare

It'll work and continue to be supported until it doesn't (work). If it breaks, they will probably replace it with an R10 until those are all gone, then you get the R15, or whatever DVR DTV has at that time.

It's possible we'll get one more software update/upgrade. If UTV was any indicator, we got a final upgrade that gave us some pretty good features (Caller ID, bulk delete (<- that was my favorite)) before they MD'd the product line. I think you can still get UTV service if you have a working box (you can't buy them retail anymore). DTiVo will probably be the same. After a time you will not be able to buy new DTiVos, but if you have one, you'll be able to use it.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything really cool like HMO/MRV or TiVo2Go.

- 2 DSR704s
- 1 R15
mphare is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #4 (Print)
goony

Support ends <ne> immediate death

It will be like Win95/Win98/Win2k on PCs - no more features, but expect guide data to continue and an update if there is some ultra-serious problem that crops up they will probably issue a fix.

As long as guide data still works there will be many, many DTivo users around for a long time to come.
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #5 (Print)
MouseJstr

Send a message via AIM to MouseJstr Send a message via Yahoo to MouseJstr
So, we pay for support and then let the units break. This gives us free upgrades to the new hardware? maybe I should give direct tv a call..
MouseJstr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 03:37 PM   #6 (Print)
spincut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphare
It'll work and continue to be supported until it doesn't (work). If it breaks, they will probably replace it with an R10 until those are all gone, then you get the R15, or whatever DVR DTV has at that time.

It's possible we'll get one more software update/upgrade. If UTV was any indicator, we got a final upgrade that gave us some pretty good features (Caller ID, bulk delete (<- that was my favorite)) before they MD'd the product line. I think you can still get UTV service if you have a working box (you can't buy them retail anymore). DTiVo will probably be the same. After a time you will not be able to buy new DTiVos, but if you have one, you'll be able to use it.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything really cool like HMO/MRV or TiVo2Go.

i dont much understand the first part of the post, talking about UTV and already getting final updates, and i dont recall getting any final update with those features in it.

anyhow, i havent been under a rock, i had only heard minor rumblings about trouble between DirectTV and Tivo, but i hadnt been informed by anyone or anything that soon the service would be dropped definitvely, nor has either company stated it, and since i dont acktually read this site or subscribe to some sort of Tivo magazine i dont know where i would have heard it, which i find reprehensible but not all surprising since DirectTV was never very good with supporting the service, and deserve to lose such an amazing feature and all the customers with it that joined merely for that.

i was hoping to switch to cable soon anyhow, but i didnt want to give up the convenience of an all in one dual tuner, receiver, DVR with tivo software, maybe now that Tivo is moving to cable (just Comcast, or will it be Time Warner too?) the switching timing will be perfect for me.

which may lead to my next quesdtion about switching and possibility of being able to port over recorded info or not, but i'll get to that later.

i'm also still not sure about how the Tivo's would continue to work. I mean they practically dont support the software with any updates as it is (i've had it for almost two years and only one real update comes to mind), but i would have thought that the daily Tivo programming downloads would no longer happen, as the DVR code and programming and guide interpretation that the direcTV boxes use would not be exactly the same as tivo's thus usaeable to any currently bought DirectTv tivo boxes, but we'll see about that i guess, since by then i'll hopefully have my switch planned now that i know at least Tivo will be moving to cable in some capacity and i'll be moving right around the same time.

Last edited by spincut : 12-20-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #7 (Print)
sgndave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut
anyhow, i havent been under a rock, i had only heard minor rumblings about trouble between DirectTV and Tivo, but i hadnt been informed by anyone or anything that soon the service would be dropped definitvely, nor has either company stated it, and since i dont acktually read this site or subscribe to some sort of Tivo magazine i dont know where i would have heard it, which i find reprehensible but not all surprising since DirectTV was never very good with supporting the service, and deserve to lose such an amazing feature and all the customers with it that joined merely for that.

I don't have a link handy, but DirecTV has officially said a couple of things:

One, they will not be renewing their contract with Tivo for new DVRs, so all new and future DVRs will not have Tivo software.

Two, they will continue to support the existing DirecTV Tivo DVRs in the sense that they will continue to receive guide data and operate as they do today. They have not made a definitive statement as to how long they would continue to do this, but people are reasonably expecting them to do the same as the did with UTV - don't cut them off, but don't provide any new software or functionality, and don't authorize and additional ones. In other words, just wait until they're all out of circulation by attrition.

A lot of people are unhappy about DirecTV's decision to part ways with Tivo. I've heard the financial argument, but I'm not sure it's legitimate because I'm pretty sure that most Tivo users would be willing to pay a little extra per month to keep the Tivo service so that it wouldn't cost DirecTV any extra. I'm more of the opinion that it's a control issue.
sgndave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #8 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
The question should be how many DVR users would be willing to pay more. TiVo geeks might go all out but I don't think most subscribers would see it that way.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #9 (Print)
john-duncan-yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseJstr
So, we pay for support and then let the units break. This gives us free upgrades to the new hardware? maybe I should give direct tv a call..

It's only an upgrade if the hardware is better. Right now the 'device which can't be named' is a significant downgrade. I doubt it will be ripe before the next hardware release.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #10 (Print)
spincut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgndave
I don't have a link handy, but DirecTV has officially said a couple of things:

One, they will not be renewing their contract with Tivo for new DVRs, so all new and future DVRs will not have Tivo software.

Two, they will continue to support the existing DirecTV Tivo DVRs in the sense that they will continue to receive guide data and operate as they do today. They have not made a definitive statement as to how long they would continue to do this, but people are reasonably expecting them to do the same as the did with UTV - don't cut them off, but don't provide any new software or functionality, and don't authorize and additional ones. In other words, just wait until they're all out of circulation by attrition.

A lot of people are unhappy about DirecTV's decision to part ways with Tivo. I've heard the financial argument, but I'm not sure it's legitimate because I'm pretty sure that most Tivo users would be willing to pay a little extra per month to keep the Tivo service so that it wouldn't cost DirecTV any extra. I'm more of the opinion that it's a control issue.

still do not know what UTV is so the example doesnt have any context for me.

also, i assume though that to keep the support the DirectTivos running it is still a seperate system and not simply the same as supporting their own DVR's, as i do beleive the downloads the box does each day is still specific for the tivo guide and software and i'm not so sure how similar the direct tv dvr's would be but i dont think similar enough to have them work on the same system.

and i dunno, it's an inconvenience but i'm almost happy about the break at this point. DirectTV barely supported the boxes as it is. Heck, the only reason i went with directv was for the dual tuner tivo support, as soon as i have the option to switch to cable (and hopefully a Cable branded Tivo DVR) i'm dropping DirecTV like a bad habit with the dodgy way the supported such an invaluable feature.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #11 (Print)
ADent

I own a S1 DTiVo and we have not gotten a feature in years - though we did get a bug fix, which was immediately followed by a bug fix for the bug fix.

No folders, no 72.5 sat support, etc.

I imagine the S2 units are feature complete and may get one bug fix later.
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #12 (Print)
spincut

i assume you mean series 1, yeah i have a series 2 i beleive, we got folders, but thats about it though. so dont think just because it was series 1 it didnt get much support, the series 2's almost get as little, for shame DirectTV.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #13 (Print)
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut
i was hoping to switch to cable soon anyhow, but i didnt want to give up the convenience of an all in one dual tuner, receiver, DVR with tivo software, maybe now that Tivo is moving to cable (just Comcast, or will it be Time Warner too?) the switching timing will be perfect for me.

The deal will be between Comcast and Tivo.

Read the various threads in the Coffee Forum about what's likely to be coming at CES.
mattack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 PM   #14 (Print)
spincut

that is cool, since the time warner box i tried was kind of crappy, but at the same time was free for the box yet still recording HD shows.

so i then would be hopeful that more than comcast would add it to their DVR's so i dont have to go out and spring for a stand alone box if and when i switched to cable.

i also still wonder how i'd transfer my stuff from my old box, if that would even be possible.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #15 (Print)
mphare

UTV == UltimateTV
There was a time with DirecTV supported two DVR standards: TiVo and UltimateTV.

I started with UltimateTV.

The parallel with UTV and Tivo is the same. DirecTV dropped the products and those with the hardware are left wondering what will happen next.

Before UTV was dropped, we got a last service upgrade that had a few really handy features that I listed above.

And dang if UTVs web site is no longer available. I must have just looked at it a couple of weeks ago. (dreaming of the good 'ol days).

- 2 DSR704s
- 1 R15
mphare is offline Report Bad Post Report Post