THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2005, 08:08 PM   #31 (Print)
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertop
TivoJerry:

I don't think anyone has yet thanked you for your help that you've offered in this thread.

So, on behalf of all of us, thank you for your help, assistance, and your willingness to go the extra mile.

Yep, for TiVoJerry.
I was sad to see TiVoBill go, but it's really great having TiVoJerry here to help out - thanks Jerry and thanks TiVo for allowing him to do this.
You guys really impress me with the amazing level of customer service we forum members have access to. Can't thank you all enough.
(it does make me feel really badly for the people who never find this forum, though )
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM   #32 (Print)
TiVoJerry
TiVo CSE & G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink
Yep, for TiVoJerry.
I was sad to see TiVoBill go, but it's really great having TiVoJerry here to help out - thanks Jerry and thanks TiVo for allowing him to do this.
You guys really impress me with the amazing level of customer service we forum members have access to. Can't thank you all enough.
(it does make me feel really badly for the people who never find this forum, though )

Thanks for the . I miss Bill, too. But this is actually a bit more fun than I thought it would be. Now.....shhhhhhhhhh. Type quieter. The "other customers" might hear you.

Jerry
TiVo CS Engineer & Grillmeister
TiVo Ninja
TiVoJerry is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #33 (Print)
DocNo

Arrow

jimmymac - if you do give it another go, skip the wireless adaptor for initial setup, get a wired USB ethernet (they are cheap) and do the ,#401 dialing prefix trick if the new box doesn't have 7.x loaded on it already. I got a 40 hour from Amazon, and guided setup worked fine - and the download of the new software went much faster than dialup If you get a new one and it has 7.x on it already, you can use your wireless adaptor from the start.

If you do the initial setup with a wired adaptor, you can always switch to a wireless adaptor later. At least it will keep you from having to drive to a friends house all the time. Personally, I won't use wireless with Tivo until they support WPA - WEP is a joke, but to each his own...

And I know about the joys of guided setup - I recently moved and picked the wrong channel lineup on both of my Tivo's

Good luck!
DocNo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 AM   #34 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo
jimmymac - if you do give it another go, skip the wireless adaptor for initial setup, get a wired USB ethernet (they are cheap) and do the ,#401 dialing prefix trick if the new box doesn't have 7.x loaded on it already. I got a 40 hour from Amazon, and guided setup worked fine - and the download of the new software went much faster than dialup If you get a new one and it has 7.x on it already, you can use your wireless adaptor from the start.
he already tried the ,#401 trick but it did not work for him. It was in one of his early posts in the thread.
Quote:
If you do the initial setup with a wired adaptor, you can always switch to a wireless adaptor later. At least it will keep you from having to drive to a friends house all the time. Personally, I won't use wireless with Tivo until they support WPA - WEP is a joke, but to each his own...
WPA can be now be broken as well. Do not rely solely on wireless encryption to protect your network. Wired gives you much better speed anyway though. TiVo is looking into how they can support WPA though, but no dates, not even a this year given so nothing actually expected at this time
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #35 (Print)
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
WPA can be now be broken as well. Do not rely solely on wireless encryption to protect your network. Wired gives you much better speed anyway though. TiVo is looking into how they can support WPA though, but no dates, not even a this year given so nothing actually expected at this time

WPA can't be broken in your lifetime if you choose a good enough password. As always its subject to brute force attacks, but they will not work well with a good password. You might want to take a look at this page for getting good WPA passwords: https://www.grc.com/pass.
rainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #36 (Print)
Nfuego
Finally-My ugly mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac
I finally got the rep to cancel the service on the box and I just tossed the box in the trash.

Why in the world didn't you give it to someone here? Or sell it?

Sheez, I would have taken it and tried to put an image on it or something...

Edit: Hope he takes Jerry up on his offer!

Last edited by Nfuego : 12-30-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Nfuego is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #37 (Print)
jasoncarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradford
I think "frustrated" is a much more accurate word here.

The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. :-)

I hope ya get it working. Luckily my TiVos have been well-behaved so far.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #38 (Print)
Billy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertop
TivoJerry:

I don't think anyone has yet thanked you for your help that you've offered in this thread.

So, on behalf of all of us, thank you for your help, assistance, and your willingness to go the extra mile.

I, like everyone else, appreciates Jerry and his work here for sure. To be more accurate though he is willing to go the initial mile, not an extra one. The unprofessional attitude and inaccurate information from the initial CSR is being rectified by Jerry, but as he stated, it never should have happened.

So, thanks Jerry for carrying the load that others in your company dropped and abandoned.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #39 (Print)
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
he already tried the ,#401 trick but it did not work for him. It was in one of his early posts in the thread.

d'oh - missed that reference - I only registered the references to wireless... definitely sounds like there was a problem with the USB port

Quote:
WPA can be now be broken as well.

Anything can be broken with enough effort and time.

Others beat me to it, but you can make it practically impossible to beat a WPA network with a sufficiently long pass phrase.

Quote:
Do not rely solely on wireless encryption to protect your network. Wired gives you much better speed anyway though.

That's a silly attitude to take - everything in life has risks, and the risks of using WPA are pretty negligible in real life. WEP on the other hand...

As for speed, I know your not talking about speed in relationship to Tivo since it can't even saturate a 10 Mb link, let alone 54 Mb of 802.11g

Quote:
TiVo is looking into how they can support WPA though, but no dates, not even a this year given so nothing actually expected at this time

It would be nice if they did, but doesn't matter to me. My Airport Express works just fine, and I can play songs I have purchased via iTunes through my stereo as well. Plus, the AE supports WDS - so my wireless network extends seamlessly from my basement to my second story - win-win. Eventually I will hardwire all my rooms and only use wireless for my laptops - just because I want to, but certainly not because I need to. For now I can't beat the ease of setup and convenience of wireless.
DocNo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post