THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #121 (Print)
fredfillis
Linuxly Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshToasted
Yet another successful unguide believer. Thanks Gunny!

Perhaps someone can help with a couple questions: My first HDVR2 with the unguide went nice and smooth. For my second, I started with the backup of a 6.2 image taken off of the first tivo. Once restored, I did the C&DE. Now it wants to make a test call. Is the test call harmless?

I've tried to make the test call, but I repeatedly get "Failed while negotiating". Not sure why that's happening, I don't think it's an issue with the tivo, as I'm getting similar issues with an unmodified box (yet the unmodified box has been making successful daily calls).

So the 2nd question is, will fakecall also make this need for a test call go away?

Thanks for any advice!

I had the same experience. The reason for the failure in my case was the two route commands in rc.sysinit.author. When I commented those out the call would complete.

This is for academic interest only, follow Gunny's advice re: fakecall.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #122 (Print)
FreshToasted

Thanks to Gunny and fredfillis. I was hesitant to move forward with hacks until I had resolved the test call issue. Forward Ho!
FreshToasted is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #123 (Print)
capran

Hi, I tried hacking my Directivo (rca dvr80) yesterday according to http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php, however I was unable to get my ethernet adapter to work. Its a USB Linksys 10BT, which I've only ever gotten to work with kaweth drivers on Linux, not pegasus.

So when working on the drive on my PC, I checked the /lib/modules dir and there was a kaweth.o in there, so I just modifed rc.sysinit.author to load kaweth.o instead of pegasus.o. But it still doesn't work. The adapter never powers up.

I have Tivo 6.2 BTW. Also a month and a half ago I canceled my landline so I no longer can dial out, which is one reason I want to do this hack.

What do I need to do to get this to work? Also, what do I need to do to get rid of the daily dial up nag message?

And, I used to have the serial cable (1/8 in. to 9 pin serial) but I must've lost it. Does anyone know a way to make one yourself? Can it be as easy as taking an old 1/8 in. audio plug and just wiring it to an old serial plug in the right way (assuming you can find the pin out)? Is there something else I need to do to enable the console on there? I've only ever hacked a Series 1 before, and that was a few years ago, and I only used Tivonet on it.
capran is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #124 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

6.2 loads drivers by itself, and if you load them with insmod statements in your author file, it creates a conflict that kills your connection. Try unplugging and replugging your adapter and see if that makes it work. If it does, remove those insmod statements.

Using Sleeper's tivoscripts is a very out of date hack, and it says so at the start of the guide. You'd be better off using the Gunnyman guide here on TCF. The nag screen is supressed by superpatch67. If the nag is to make the initial call to get the DVR service going, then you need fakecall.tcl. Plenty of guide on building a serial cable here, just search for them.
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #125 (Print)
BTUx9

Send a message via AIM to BTUx9 Send a message via Yahoo to BTUx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by capran
Hi, I tried hacking my Directivo (rca dvr80) yesterday according to http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_dtv2_hacksleeper.php, however I was unable to get my ethernet adapter to work. Its a USB Linksys 10BT, which I've only ever gotten to work with kaweth drivers on Linux, not pegasus.

Might be a good time to get another USB adapter... tivos don't autodetect the kaweth adapters because they crash and burn with the default drivers, and even Jamie's updated drivers have problems (xfer for a bit, and then hang).

Old 09-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #126 (Print)
capran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
Might be a good time to get another USB adapter... tivos don't autodetect the kaweth adapters because they crash and burn with the default drivers, and even Jamie's updated drivers have problems (xfer for a bit, and then hang).

Hmm. Well I also tried my DWL-G122 which didn't work either, I searched around and some people got certain revisions to work but others not at all.

What do you guys recommened? I think it was Gunny who said 6.2 doesn't work with wireless?
capran is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #127 (Print)
smckinnon

David, which is the "other" forum - looking to get USB 2.0 performance out of my USB 2.0 HW - thanks
stephen
smckinnon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #128 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
We're not supposed to mention it here, but Google might know where an "other tivo forum" is.

Drew
azitnay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #129 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

6.2 works fine with wireless. The issue is that you can't set up your wireless paramters through the menu system like 4.01b. Try the wireless script in my signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capran
Hmm. Well I also tried my DWL-G122 which didn't work either, I searched around and some people got certain revisions to work but others not at all.

What do you guys recommened? I think it was Gunny who said 6.2 doesn't work with wireless?
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #130 (Print)
bunglebb

Oops

Alright, I followed the unguide, before realizing it is for a DTiVo, and I have a normal Series 2 TiVo (my own fault, fully), and am looking to put everything right again. I already had my TiVo modded, but was looking to enable Tivoweb and telnet. As it stands now, I boot up, and get a white screen, after the initial 'loading' screen. I assume this is due to the kernel installed, and need to know which is the correct kernel for my tivo...

On top of that, I put in the changes to route information, and will, presumably, need to remove that info. Can I just remove those lines from the rc.sysinit.author file? or, do I need to reverse them (changing "route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1" to route add -host 127.0.0.1 gw 204.176.49.2"? and the same for the second route?

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
bunglebb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #131 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

delete those lines from the author file
as for which kernel, don't quote me without checking the other forum, but I THINK a SA uses 4.01 kernel for 5.xx software and 3.1.5 for 7.xx

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post