THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #331 (Print)
Spire
Spire Refrigeration

Quote:
Originally posted by Graymalkin
Yeah, and what is she going to do when the battery goes dead? Which it should have done after six days.
Do iPod [Mini] batteries really lose their charge that quickly, even if the device is left unused? (I don't have an iPod, so I'm curious.)

Last edited by Melody Chalis : Today at 03:47 AM.
Spire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #332 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by tanstaafl
OK, found it. Complete translation of the french message.

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Ils sont morts, ils sont tous morts / They are dead, they are all dead
Il les a tués, il les a tués tous / He (or it) killed them, he (or it) killed them all
Il est dehors / He (or it) is outside
et Brennan (or: Brandon?) a pris les clés / and Brennan has taken the keys
je lui ai dit (or: je vais essayer?...not sure) d'aller jusqu'au rocher noir / I told him (or: I will try?) to go to the black rock

Very intriguing...thanks for the translation. This thread would become riddled with spoilers if we were to get into a discssion of that.
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 05:29 PM   #333 (Print)
JoeTiVo
HD Tivo Rocks

Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetFreak
Very intriguing...thanks for the translation. This thread would become riddled with spoilers if we were to get into a discssion of that.

Well, this is a spoilers thread as evidenced by the thread title.

JoeTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 06:36 PM   #334 (Print)
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

OK here's an interesting thing I just thought of. While not politically correct, how are they going to handle the fat guy? One would think that already, after 6 days he would start losing weight pretty quickly. I wonder how they're going to have him lose the weight he would be losing rapidly from here on out.

Doug

Last edited by Paperboy2003 : 10-23-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Paperboy2003 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #335 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by Paperboy2003
OK here's an interesting thing I just thought of. While not politically correct, how are they going to handle the fat guy? One would think that already, after 6 days he would start losing weight pretty quickly. I wonder how they're going to have him lose the weight he would be looking quickly
If loss of weight from 6 days of not eating was visibly noticable, more people would not eat for 6 days.

He will eventually eat something, as will everyone else. The wild boar Locke brought back was one thing they never really went back to, did they? He could've eaten some of that already.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 06:41 PM   #336 (Print)
gchance

This show is awesome, I don't think I've seen threads for shows like this on this board in a long, long time.

Also, I've checked some other boards with discussions about Lost and this is by far the most intelligent.

Okay so today I watched the first 3 episodes over (would have watched all of them except my 2-year-old had just woken up). A few observations that I made sure to watch for because of this thread... spoiler-tagged for your enjoyment.

* Hurley - People seem to be intent on believing Hurley was there from the beginning. Early on, he says something like, "We're all in this together", but that's not my indicator. Later he calls the Marshall with the shrapnel "Johnny Fever". When Charlie & Hurley are fishing, Charlie says I thought you knew how to fish. Hurley responds with, "Yeah, from the Santa Monica pier, with my old man, and a fishing pole, and BAIT! I never tried to poke one with a sharp stick!" Hurley hasn't been on the island any longer than anyone else; he was on the plane. Another thing, mp3 players aren't THAT pervasive. It's not hard to believe he would have a CD player.

* Sun & Michael - for reference, they've had 3 encounters. 1) Sun & Michael are speaking in the first episode when Jin tells her to fasten the top button of her blouse. 2) Michael is running in the jungle and runs into a topless Sun, who is really only half-heartedly covering herself. 3) Michael asks her to watch Walt.

* Locke - I'm convinced he has a trace of a smile when encountering the "monster". And RE: the knives. Locke very specifically tells his boss that on a walkabout you live off the land while searching alone. He's been preparing for a long time to go on this trip, so obviously he trained to use the knives and brought them along for use during the walkabout. The same goes for collecting water.

* Federal Marshall - he has/had a relationship with Kate, although I don't think it was a romantic one. I personally think maybe they were marshalls together and somehow she betrayed him or the organization. She's also from Canada, so perhaps she was with a Canadian organization working in tandem with Johnny Fever. Remember he does say to Jack at one point, "She got to you, too."

* Context without content? No, you mean content without context. We see what's going on but don't know WHY. J. Michael Straczynski did this in Babylon 5 with Londo & G'Kar. Early on, Londo Mollari explains that all Centauri have a vision of their own death... his would be at the hands of G'Kar, and he says he recognized G'Kar the moment he came aboard the station. Later we see the scene. In the fourth season, we see the scene again, only this time with the context... in fact, JMS posted to Usenet about it and said, "I seem to recall, after that Londo/G'Kar scene was shown the last time, posting somewhere that folks now knew *what* has happened, but they don't yet know the *context*. Very few picked up on that and thought to actually reverse what they *thought* they were seeing to what they *might* be seeing."

So yes, keep that in mind with Lost. Seeing a scene out of context can make you think many things, but without the context you don't have anything.

I'll shut up now.

Greg

gchance is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 06:42 PM   #337 (Print)
JoeTiVo
HD Tivo Rocks

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
He will eventually eat something...

Or someone.

JoeTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 07:02 PM   #338 (Print)
TampaThunder
Mr. Dead Money

Send a message via ICQ to TampaThunder Send a message via Yahoo to TampaThunder
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeTiVo
Or someone.
I have a feeling he's gonna make the newborn baby get in his belly! (A Fat Bastid reference)
TampaThunder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2004, 07:42 PM   #339 (Print)
MoviegoerMan

Send a message via ICQ to MoviegoerMan Send a message via AIM to MoviegoerMan Send a message via Yahoo to MoviegoerMan
Quote:
Originally posted by Paperboy2003
OK here's an interesting thing I just thought of. While not politically correct, how are they going to handle the fat guy? One would think that already, after 6 days he would start losing weight pretty quickly. I wonder how they're going to have him lose the weight he would be losing rapidly from here on out.

Doug

The TV guide article says,

they will start to magically find food. It follows the same premise that if you imagine it, it happens.

Quote:
Don't expect these castaways to waste away.
"The reality is, you're not going to call up Jorge Garcia [who plays Hurley] and say, 'Lose 150 pounds over the course of the season,'" Lindelof says. "Tom Hanks took off months to [lose weight] for Castaway. And he was paid $20 million to do it." (And the Lost cast is earning, uh, nowhere near that.) In an effort to make the actors' regular weights seem more realistic, expect to see the characters routinely finding food. Plus, producers say each episode will represent only a day or two, which means that even if 22 episodes air this season, a maximum of 44 days would have elapsed by the Lost clock. Monaghan, however, is game for growing an unruly Hanks-style beard: "Not to have to shave, and I've still got a job? Fantastic!"

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/coverstory/

http://jollyblogger.typepad.com/jol...n_abc.html#more

DishNetwork 721 PVR
Channel Master 4228 8-Bay Bow Antenna
Samsung HLM5065 50" DLP
Samsung 931 1080i DVD Player
Onkyo TX-600-SR601 w/ Polk 5.1 Speakers

Last edited by MoviegoerMan : 10-23-2004 at 09:23 PM.
MoviegoerMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-24-2004, 02:46 AM   #340 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeTiVo
Well, this is a spoilers thread as evidenced by the thread title.

I meant riddled with invisible text. A lot of what's been posted has been speculation and a couple of possible spoilers of what people have read.

This is a little different ... it is based on something that was already shown to us but was in French and most of us assumed at first that the character's translation was accurate. Now that we know what she really said we can discuss it. But do we spoiler tag the entire conversation or talk about it in the open since that bit of dialogue was already heard?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:25 AM   #341 (Print)
blueshoo
el guapo

re: spoilers

Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetFreak
This is a little different ... it is based on something that was already shown to us but was in French and most of us assumed at first that the character's translation was accurate. Now that we know what she really said we can discuss it. But do we spoiler tag the entire conversation or talk about it in the open since that bit of dialogue was already heard?
Hey, as long as it didn't happen in the preview for next week, it's fair game.

It seems her "mistranslation" can be interpreted as either an error on her part or intentional misinformation; I think the scene could be seen either way.
blueshoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-24-2004, 01:37 PM   #342 (Print)
GadgetFreak

OK then... who is the person that she refers to and what keys did he take? Planes don't have keys do they? It could be a boat, or it could be keys to a building which would support the lab/experiment gone wrong theory.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #343 (Print)
Ebenezer

Is anyone keeping track of the words on the Hobbit's hand? Did it change during this episode? I know they did a really good shot of his hand (which seemed, to me, that he had strategically positioned his hand so that it could be read for that specific shot) but I don't recall what the last episode's word was.
Ebenezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2004, 04:26 PM   #344 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Is anyone keeping track of the words on the Hobbit's hand? Did it change during this episode? I know they did a really good shot of his hand (which seemed, to me, that he had strategically positioned his hand so that it could be read for that specific shot) but I don't recall what the last episode's word was.
I don't think the word has changed.

Butt yeah, I think I know the shot you mean. I forget the details now but he was talking to one of the other characters, and holding his hand up for some reason (or gesture?) and the letters were totally obvious to both us and the other character. I was really hoping/expecting the character to ask him about the letters, but, alas, that didn't happen.
Jeeters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2004, 04:45 PM   #345 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeters
I don't think the word has changed.

Butt yeah, I think I know the shot you mean. I forget the details now but he was talking to one of the other characters, and holding his hand up for some reason (or gesture?) and the letters were totally obvious to both us and the other character. I was really hoping/expecting the character to ask him about the letters, but, alas, that didn't happen.

He did change it.
I posted the pic in the other forum, here's a link...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...121#post4542121

He put "Fate" on the taped fingers in the first episode, changed it to "Late" in the second.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2004, 04:59 PM   #346 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
Originally posted by hefe
He did change it. <...> He put "Fate" on the taped fingers in the first episode, changed it to "Late" in the second.
Yes, we already know that . But he didn't change it this episode, which is what Ebenezer asked about in his post.
Jeeters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #347 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeters
Yes, we already know that . But he didn't change it this episode, which is what Ebenezer asked about in his post.

Ah yes...you are correct.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-26-2004, 06:43 PM   #348 (Print)
MannyVjr
Manny Gold Agent 009

Send a message via Yahoo to MannyVjr
Quote:
Originally posted by scubagal
I actually got a little teary eyed at the ticket check in counter....
Funny, I found this to be the most tedious scene of the show... for some reason i didn't buy it

Old 10-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #349 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:
Originally posted by MannyVjr
Funny, I found this to be the most tedious scene of the show... for some reason i didn't buy it

I agree with that. I didn't like Jack's empassioned speech to the ticket agent either. I found it poorly written and thusly it caused me to get out of the flow of the show and think about the writing. Any time the writing of a show is such that you wouldn't believe a person would say it, it takes you out of the show and makes you start thinking about the writer. I don't want to ever think about the writer while I'm watching a show. The only time I want to think about the writer is after a show is over and I've been impressed, then I want to know who wrote it.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #350 (Print)
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally posted by devdogaz
I don't want to ever think about the writer while I'm watching a show.

I think that is one of my biggest problems with this show - everything that happens is screaming to me "look at how clever we are to have written that!!" or it is some kind of speech or lecture that seems like it is coming from the writers instead of the characters. It drives me nuts.

It bugs me in books too. As soon as I feel like it is the author talking to me and not the characters, I lose interest. I love to get wrapped up in stories, having the writers so in-your-face is distracting.
Zevida is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #351 (Print)
maineman

A couple of things about Watership Down not mentioned in the plot summary earlier in this thread.

One is that the rabbits chose to leave their old burrow because of on the the rabbits dreams/preminitions of a danger to come, in this case the destruction of their home.

The other is that at the end the large dog (monster) ended up saving the good rabbits.

I can't think of any significant meaning in the first point but the second could hold clues.
maineman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2005, 03:41 AM   #352 (Print)
ccwf
国際化 Member

Send a message via AIM to ccwf
[I've only watched up to this episode.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl
for a wheelchair-bound Initech employee, Locke sure seems to know a lot about survival.
Locke said he'd been preparing for the walkabout for a long time.
Quote:
And why do you need a suitcase full of knives on a walkabout?
Because he's into military stuff. Because he was at a physical disadvantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boid
Korean man: F*** off bastard! [not a literal translation - he said "get away" in very strong, rude Korean terms. "f*** off" is the English equivalent.] If you touch my wife even once, I will kill you.
Characters on Korean TV seem to use terms like "kill" and "death" a lot. They usually don't mean it literally (although bad things do happen to them with distressing frequency).
ccwf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post