Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2005, 01:27 PM   #1 (Print)
Atomike

Cheapest Mpeg2 editor - commercials

I want to edit commercials out of my shows, and by reading the forum, I've gotten really mixed messages. I guess what I need to know is whether or not the Nero OEM software you get with a DVD burner can be used to edit out commercials. I need to buy a DVD burner, and if I can get the software I need with it, that will save me $$$. So, can you edit commercials with Nero Vision Express? The key word here is "express" since I know the full retail non-express version will work.

I'll be editing regular mpeg2 files - not Tivo files. So please no recommendations for Sonic MyDVD (it sounds like utter cr@p).
Atomike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #2 (Print)
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

Sonic MyDVD -

I haven't ever had a single problem with it. I bet most of the problems come from people being too lazy to read the manual.

From the website about Nero:

With NeroVision Express 3 you can
• Trim your videos quickly and flexibly

Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #3 (Print)
Atomike

This is the sort of mixed message I'm talking about. Trimming is not editing. They're completely different. Trimming is cutting off the beginning and ending of a show. Editing commericals is vastly different. So, I'm guessing Nero cannot do what I want it to do?
Atomike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 02:12 AM   #4 (Print)
Stu_Bee

you could also run the mpg or .Tivo file thru www.tvharmony.com's autopilot program. Just tell it to convert to MPG and choose the opton to AutoCut commericals.
It's an automated process...so the app does take some time to process the video.....but I've tried manually finding commericals and cutting them out using other products, and that's a lot more time-intensive.
Stu_Bee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #5 (Print)
N2DEEP
Rocky Rooooad

Video Redo is by far the best and easiest. It may not be the cheapest but well worth the money.

http://www.videoredo.com/

Old 12-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #6 (Print)
jsjurek

I disagree with the immediately preceding posts. I just bought a Sony DVD burner that came bundled with the Nero OEM software, incl Nerovision Express 3. I am brand new to this, so I haven't actually tried it yet, but I know that you can edit your video clips. Yes you can easily trim beginning and ending points, but you can also go into "cut mode". When you get to a commercial segment, you click the scissors, hit the place where you want to begin the cut, and again where you want to end the cut. Then you can save your newly trimmed file as a separate video file or burn it right to the DVD. So to answer your question, NVE3 CAN do it. I actually found a great link that serves as a "step by step" tutorial for newbies.... I'll post it if I can find it.
jsjurek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:17 PM   #7 (Print)
kronemerk

it depends to some degree what you will be doing with the mpeg files. The resolution of basic and medium tivo files is 1/2D1 which means it is a "legal" resolution for DVD, though most basic dvd authoring tools don't recognize 1/2D1 as legal and will reencode them to D1 as part of the burning process. If you are merely intersted in editing the video, or making a DVD with software which recognizes 1/2D1 as fair (DVDLab as far as I know) then videoredo is the best. I've gone from an unedited 1hr long episode to a burned dvd in less than 1 hour using videoredo and dvdlab. If you are making a dvd and using an authing program which will reencode 1/2D1 i've had good luck with nero
kronemerk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #8 (Print)
colforbin13

If your OEM version of Nero has NeroVision Express (v3 preferred, v2 works as well, though it's more buggy), then you can edit out commercials from a TiVo file and either burn it to DVD from there, or export it to various formats (MPG/AVI, etc).

I just edited all of the commercials out of all 4 of this past year's World Series games, created chapters by inning, and burned them all to DVD, all within NeroVision Express 3. So, like I said, if your OEM version of Nero has it, it will work for what you need. If it doesn't have it (not sure if all OEM versions have all components), you will need to get something else, or upgrade to the Ultra Edition of Nero.

I've never used Sonic MyDVD, so I can't say one way or the other, but I have heard people use it for what you're asking for.

-Forbin
colforbin13 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #9 (Print)
Bai Shen
Now with Avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Bee
you could also run the mpg or .Tivo file thru www.tvharmony.com's autopilot program. Just tell it to convert to MPG and choose the opton to AutoCut commericals.
It's an automated process...so the app does take some time to process the video.....but I've tried manually finding commericals and cutting them out using other products, and that's a lot more time-intensive.

I couldn't get it to work with mpg files. I forget the specific problem I was having.

-thumbs up- from Fofer
Bai Shen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post