July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2005, 03:32 AM   #1 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Netgear SC101 NAS / Toaster

While surfing the net for more storage for all my photos etc I came across the Netgear SC101 http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Revie...rodID-SC101.php

I must admit I purchase without reading the above review but just by the basic description on Amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...9777214-9432409

However, it does not work in the same way as any other NAS device I have used.

It does not become a device that you can browse to. On every client (W2K SPK4 / XP SPK2 only) has so have software installed that creates it as a drive letter. Of course by default you get the next avaible drive so on one PC it maybe G: on another F: (does also have a name however to aid identification).

Setting it up
The unit comes with no hard drives and should accept any two modern IDE drives of a capacity up to 400Gb

It can span them, RAID 1 them (if identical capacity drives). You can also split the drives up to have as many drive letters you want e.g. one for MP3 and another for movies.

Snags
Described physically as a small toaster. The other thing in common with a toaster is how hot it gets!

The device has no cooling fans but the latest firmware is supposed to spin down the drives when idle.

As with every other network device it has a MAC address and your DHCP server gives it an IP address (you must have DHCP).

However this device requires several IP addresses all against the same MAC address.

Not all DHCP servers like this (including my Fritz Fon).

When I first tried to create / format a drive I got a drive not addedd and sometiems three flashing light pattern from the unit power LED which indicates a DHCP issue.

Thus my easy setup actually took hours

The drives I intedend to use and now am are 2 x WD2500 250Gb drives.

These used to be in my main PC but too slow.

After I resolved my DHCP issues by disabling my router DHCP and running a software DHCP server on my weather station PC the drive still would not work.

I then tried the other one and success

Both of my old drives were orignally formated NTFS but the other one which was originally the boot drive would only work after using the WD tool to fill the first part of the drives with Zero's (quick option). I also did a drive test which it passed.

Thus the device now works and I am also sure only one drive spins down (device set in span mode).

I may now change it to RAID1 and see if that helps.

I should also mention its a bit like two devices in one box. Thus each drive root-0 and root-1 have their own IP as does every drive you create

Also the newest firmware tries to "spoof" mac addresses to make it more compatible with more DHCP servers.

One last thing the software.
Not bad except every time you load it it ask if you want to check for a new version.

You say no, it then says are you really sure you do not want to check!

This software is only needed to setup on every machine and not to use day to day. However surely it could record the last used date and only ask every x days.

Automan.
Automan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2005, 06:53 AM   #2 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/i...3b5eb9eda00.jpg for an alternate use for this device.

Automan.
Automan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post