July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #1 (Print)
CarlWalters
Yo Ho TiVo!

Question bit OT : Windows XP schedulers recommendations

Sorry it's a bit off-topic but can anyone recommend a decent (freeware or shareware) scheduler. What I want is something that will run a batch script at a fixed time each day regardless of whether I am logged in on my XP machine (which I don't think the in-built Windows XP scheduler will do). I've got a feeling that something that runs as a service is required to do this (but I'm not certain)

Any personal gratefully received
CarlWalters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #2 (Print)
Ian_m

The XP built-in scheduler can run under any account at any time, regardless who is logged in or out, just enter the username and password when you create the scheduled job in explorer.

One hint the scheduler log file view option in explorer is only visible when logged on as administrator, so if your job is failing just look in the log file.

I have used it to run run batch files once a day, ftp'ing log files off routers etc onto my XP machine and filtering any errors into a separate file. Just make sure your batch file does no I/O to screen (hint use > and 2>&1 at end of lines) else a DOS window can suddenly pop up unexpectedly.

My next schedule jobby is to try and write a batch file to telnet to my TiVo, execute a TAR and GZIP of the hack directory and FTP to my PC, but I have a feeling the standard XP telnet is not scriptable (unlike FTP).
Ian_m is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #3 (Print)
CarlWalters
Yo Ho TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_m
The XP built-in scheduler can run under any account at any time, regardless who is logged in or out, just enter the username and password when you create the scheduled job in explorer.

Aha! So I'll need to create a password for my XP account then (currently I don't have one). Thanks
CarlWalters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #4 (Print)
jayross

If you want a higher-end not free toy, I would recommend Opalis Robot.
Good Stuff.