July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2005, 03:35 AM   #1 (Print)
simona

Freeview STBs crash

Apologies if this has been on before...

I did look (honestly) and can't find it. I have had a Tivo for a couple of years and have used it with quite an old Freeview boxes (Nokia from OnDigital days).Trouble is that I leave the STB on 24x7 so that I don't miss recording and after a few months it started crashing (pic freeze, no channel change, have to power off/on). So I bought another old STB (Pace) but that too has now started crashing.

Is this something that I could get around with a newer STB (and if so, which one would you recommend)or do I have to work out times when I can give my STB a rest for a few hours every day?

Thanks,
Simon
simona is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 04:29 AM   #2 (Print)
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Send a message via MSN to mike0151
I had the same happen with my old on-digital Pace STB. However, I noticed that it always locked up on one of the BBC channels, usually BBC1. This rang a bell with things I'd read about the BBC interactive services causing problems so I set a 5 minute manual repeated recording on Five in the early hours of the morning (set to keep at most 1). Since then, I rarely get a problem and only reset the STB once a month or so to avoid lockups.

HTH
Mike

Old 12-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #3 (Print)
=CM=
UK TiVo fan

According to the uk.digital usenet groups, the beeb knows its graphics code is hanging the old Nokias, but see them as obsolete. There is word that they are close to a fix (possibly just a few lines to avoid loading every last byte of RAM-hogging code). My Nokia locks up on BBC1 and News24, which has lost me 2 Sopranos recordings from More4, so the Nokia is currently powered off as punishment while a Philips STB does service for the Tivo (but has probs with "3 0" for itv4! Will nothing work well in this beautiful digital world? )

The old STBs are not going to last long - if they could disable MHEG like Daewoo SetPals their chances of survival would improve greatly as its that MHEG that usualy does them in - puffed up graphics (impulse noise also kills them). Not for nothing did Nokia put a reset button on the front of the box. Shame the Tivo can't "press" it...
=CM= is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 12:37 AM   #4 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

My old Philips box hangs on BBC-tv channels if left on them too long - but not on any other channel.