TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #1 (Print)
Herzog!

I have read and studied but still confused..

I am looking to pick up a Plasma around Feb of 06.

I am currently using the D* Tivo (Non-HD).

I am looking to upgrade to HD. I am in the SF Bay Area so the MPEG-4 streams are available in my area. I know a HD-DVR isn't available at the moment that will work with the new format. Can I get the new Receiver and still keep my existing Tivo, and still use them together with the dish? (This would be the new dish for the MPEG-4 feed)

I would like to be able to watch the new local HD Content and still use my current tivo to record SD content.

Anyone in the SF Bay Area, what channels are you able to get in the Mpeg-4 format?

Is there a better way of doing this? (I am already going to be spending a lot on the Plasma, I don't want to spend another $500 on future proofing everything. I understand I won't be able to Tivo at this time HD at this time)
Herzog! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 06:46 PM   #2 (Print)
A J Ricaud

"Can I get the new Receiver and still keep my existing Tivo, and still use them together with the dish? (This would be the new dish for the MPEG-4 feed)

I would like to be able to watch the new local HD Content and still use my current tivo to record SD content."

The new 5 LNB dish picks up both the existing MPEG-2 programming as well as the new MPEG-4 stuff in your area. You can continue to use existing receiver along with a new one, whenever you get it.

You will be all set, dish wise, for the new HD MPEG-4 DVR when it becomes available.
A J Ricaud is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #3 (Print)
Herzog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud

The new 5 LNB dish picks up both the existing MPEG-2 programming as well as the new MPEG-4 stuff in your area. You can continue to use existing receiver along with a new one, whenever you get it.

You will be all set, dish wise, for the new HD MPEG-4 DVR when it becomes available.

Okay. Thanks for the info. Good to know I will be in good shape for a while. I only have one TV so the the Multiswitch that comes with most 5 lbn setups should be fine right?

What's the cost for just the Mpeg-4 receiver?
Herzog! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #4 (Print)
jdk

- The cost of the H20 (the only receiver currently available capable of decoding the MPEG4 streams) is $200, with a $200 rebate = $0 after rebate, and two year commitment.

- In order to have a 5 LNB dish installed, call DirecTV now, as they're the main way to get one scheduled for install. They'll also sell you the $0 H20 at this same time for convenience. The official cost for the dish & install is $99, but if you're a customer with a good history, and with enough complaining, they may waive that.

- The 5LNB dish has a built in multiswitch that supports up to four "tuners". If you need up to 8, there is an external multiswitch to support that. If needed, this external multiswitch should be included with the DirecTV professional install.

- In the SF Bay Area, the MPEG4 programming currently available is KTVU-DT, KNTV-DT, KCBS-DT, KGO-DT (the four networks, in HD)
jdk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post