Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #61 (Print)
edrock200

Send a message via AIM to edrock200
oh ok so if I wanted 12 outputs I can still cascade. Cool. Sorry for the mini threadjack.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #62 (Print)
AbMagFab
I go where Tivo goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsnda
Spoke with D* today and got my install date set for 12/17 and new equipment 2-H20's & 5lnb dish. $199.00 each receiver, $200.00 rebate on 1st receiver, $99.00 for 2nd rec. free install on new 5lnb dish, and keep my current equipment. TOTAL COST after rebates $99.00... got $100.00 credit on account. Worked with the retention department since the original csr did not have a clue. D* stated that starting today. MEG4 service is up and operational in Atlanta GA..... Also stated MPEG4 DVR not available until Q1 06.... Also mentioned networks are in MPEG4, with an addtional 150 HD channels in less than 60 days.

call them back and ask for the retention department!!!!!!

See, it's things like that last part that bring everything into question. There aren't 150 national HD channels available. If they meant locals, then you certainly don't care, right? You only care about your 4-6.

Anyone who has both MPEG-4 and OTA MPEG-2 willing to state an objective quality comparison? Not the DirecTV national MPEG-2, but OTA MPEG-2.

2x HR10 500G 3.1.5f
All-TWeb+, TyTool, caller-id

OTA HD is 100% reliable

Save me Tivo Series 3!!!!
AbMagFab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #63 (Print)
bdlucas
Axiomatic

I can recall seeing on this forum two comparisons so far: one from Detroit market that MPEG4 was as good as OTA, one from another market (forget which) that it wasn't as good. Also recall one comparison that MPEG4 local is better than MPEG2 national feed (I know the latter isn't what you were looking for, but for many people that is a relevant piece of information). I suspect there's still some dust-settling going on in terms of bringing the equipment on line so I suspect it's probably a little early to get a firm idea of which way things will go.
bdlucas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #64 (Print)
reubenray

When will Houston be on?
reubenray is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #65 (Print)
AlanNHou

Service began in Houston today. Called retension at 800-824-9081 and ordered new dish and installation of the new H20. I am only replacing my HD receiver. They billed me $199 but gave me $200 rebate credit on my account. This is the same rebate you can get from Circuit City, but the new dish and installation is free, not really, they will charge you $14.95 as a service charge. Service also began today in LA, NY, Dallas, Tampa and one or two othe cities.
AlanNHou is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #66 (Print)
andbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrock200
oh ok so if I wanted 12 outputs I can still cascade. Cool. Sorry for the mini threadjack.

I think I will need 12 outputs too during the transition perriod to MPEG4 (running 10 now). Won't D* furnish the required multiswitches during installation?
When I went from 8 to 10 outputs, I thot the installer would do some kind if multiswitch cascade; but instead he put up a second triple LNB dish.
I think during the wait for MPEG2 to phase out I will run my 2 HR10-250s along with 2 of the new MPEG4 HD DVRs.and keep using my 2 dtivos. I don't want any non-recording receivers even if they are HD and MPEG4 . What kind of Dish/multiswitch setup should I use?
andbye is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #67 (Print)
edrock200

Send a message via AIM to edrock200
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbye
I think I will need 12 outputs too during the transition perriod to MPEG4 (running 10 now). Won't D* furnish the required multiswitches during installation?
When I went from 8 to 10 outputs, I thot the installer would do some kind if multiswitch cascade; but instead he put up a second triple LNB dish.
I think during the wait for MPEG2 to phase out I will run my 2 HR10-250s along with 2 of the new MPEG4 HD DVRs.and keep using my 2 dtivos. I don't want any non-recording receivers even if they are HD and MPEG4 . What kind of Dish/multiswitch setup should I use?

This is exactly why I research this type of stuff on these forums first. The installers that came out wanted to mount 2 dishes on my roof as well and had no clue you could cascade or use splitters to combine switches. However, seeing as most households don't need more than 8 outputs and the churn of installers is high this is understandable.

From what I gather so far you will need the new AT9 dish (though you can do cabling without it) with 4 runs to a distro point. At your distro point you can use 4 high frequency splitters to combine two of the new 6x8 switches to make a 6x16 or you can cascade them for 12 outputs. Since the new switches are self powered I'm not sure how well cascading will work, but we'll find out soon enough.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #68 (Print)
RunnerFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
No that's not the new one. Here's the new wideband WB68: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_dis...&CAT=&PROD=WB68

I don't think there's any reason the splitter method won't work... you would of course need wideband rated splitters.

Since there is a new "wideband" model does this mean that the Zinwell SAM-6802 is not going to work once I get Mpeg4 locals in my area and have to upgrade to the new dish?
RunnerFL is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #69 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerFL
Since there is a new "wideband" model does this mean that the Zinwell SAM-6802 is not going to work once I get Mpeg4 locals in my area and have to upgrade to the new dish?

That's correct. Though it would be usable for any non-MPEG4 receivers connected to it (i.e.; the new dish is backward compatible).
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #70 (Print)
RunnerFL

Quote:
That's correct. Though it would be usable for any non-MPEG4 receivers connected to it (i.e.; the new dish is backward compatible).

well crud, I just got the 6802 last week, thought I was getting a good deal at $24.99 on ebay... Guess I'll send it back and look for the WB68.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #71 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
well crud, I just got the 6802 last week, thought I was getting a good deal at $24.99 on ebay... Guess I'll send it back and look for the WB68.

Thanks!

Why worry about it? You don't need the wideband model until MPEG4 is in use; when MPEG4 becomes available DirecTV will be offering various deals on upgrading your equipment.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #72 (Print)
RunnerFL

Quote:
Why worry about it? You don't need the wideband model until MPEG4 is in use; when MPEG4 becomes available DirecTV will be offering various deals on upgrading your equipment.

Well first off to get my $25 back.

Secondly, do you really think D* is going to give me a WB68 when MP4 is available here?

If that's a possibility I'll hold off and just stick with 1 sat in for my SD-DVR80 and 1 for my R15 [2 on the HR10-250] and then when MP4 rolls around for West Palm Beach I'll get them to throw in a WB68.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #73 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Well first off to get my $25 back.

Secondly, do you really think D* is going to give me a WB68 when MP4 is available here?

If that's a possibility I'll hold off and just stick with 1 sat in for my SD-DVR80 and 1 for my R15 [2 on the HR10-250] and then when MP4 rolls around for West Palm Beach I'll get them to throw in a WB68.

The folks in the current MPEG4 markets have had offers of between $0 and $99 for an H20 (MPEG4 HD non-DVR) with 5-LNB dish, installed. Multiswitches have always been included in installations if they're needed.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:43 PM   #74 (Print)
RunnerFL

Quote:
The folks in the current MPEG4 markets have had offers of between $0 and $99 for an H20 (MPEG4 HD non-DVR) with 5-LNB dish, installed. Multiswitches have always been included in installations if they're needed.

Interesting... If I add an H20 when MP4 is avail in my area, until the HR20-250 comes out, then it would require 8 lines run into my home. They'd pretty much have to include it...

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #75 (Print)
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

According to a Direct TV dealer on this board, NY is supposed to be up on 12/28. Is that still true? Not that I'm in any hurry since the big 4 networks are already in HD and they only plan to add PBS in January.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #76 (Print)
dtebbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthkd
WARNING TO RECENT HDTivo Buyers @ $299 Price!!!!

I just called D* CR line to get upgraded to MPEG4 in Atlanta, was told I was going to be charged $99 per H20 receiver because I got an HDTivo for $299! I told the CR that was BS because I never even received the mail-in rebate for $100 like they promised plus I was told that they were just trying to get rid of the HDtivo stockk because they would no longer sell Tivo to push their own DVR, well they wouldn't swap me for free! She said they were told to charge everyone $99 per H20 receiver for existing customers. I told her, that rediculous because I have a total of three HD receiver active currently on my account, two of which I bought new for $799 each, I have been an HD sub since 99 and I cant justifiy paying another $99 for each HD receiver when my current 3 are working just fine. WTF!!! Check this out everyone. When I became a D* customer I had to buy my own quipment in 1996! Look at everything I spent:

Became D* customer bought own equipment: $249
Upgraded to HD bought 2 Panny HD receiver @ $799 each total: $1600
Upgraded my D* disg to Oval: $129
Upgraded to Primer Pack for last 5 years @ $99/month : $5940
Upgraded to HDTivo recently never received $100 rebate: $299
NFLST sub for 5 years
MLB sub for 5 years
March Madness sub last 5 years
HELL I EVEN BOUGHT THE F%#@ING SPANISH CHANNELS TO FILL IN THE SPACE! AND THESE BAST4RDS WANT TO CHAGE ME ANOTHER $99 per H20. HEEEELLLLL NOOOOO! I switching to Comsuckcast! At least I want have to keep buying F%#@ING EQUIPMENT!!

I can't see the need for Atlanta HD locals over satellite. I mean, I live 30 miles from the transmitters in a hole and can get the off air signals with a $25 silver sensor, and with less compression.

DT
dtebbe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #77 (Print)
aaronwt
TC Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
1. Yes, no problem whatsoever.

2. No, assuming you do not need more than 4 outputs, otherwise the new Zinwell 6x8 switch is required.

-Robert

What happens if you need 10 outputs. Right now I have a Terk 5x8 and 6 of those outputs go to my 3 HD-TiVos and 2 outputs go to a Spaun 2x6 switch. Then 4 of those Spaun outputs go to my two SD-TiVos for reception of the 101 SAT. Will I still be able to do this with the Zinwell switch.

My 1080P DLP and sample pics(calibration by ELIAB!)
aaronwt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #78 (Print)
CTerrian
Master Of My Domain

Send a message via ICQ to CTerrian Send a message via AIM to CTerrian Send a message via MSN to CTerrian Send a message via Yahoo to CTerrian
I'll wait until the dust settles. ;P

Old 12-28-2005, 09:59 PM   #79 (Print)
bpdp379
A trp, 1/17 CAV

Do they charge for these locals, like they do with the SD version?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
bpdp379 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #80 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdp379
Do they charge for these locals, like they do with the SD version?

They're included in the locals package price.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #81 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
What happens if you need 10 outputs. Right now I have a Terk 5x8 and 6 of those outputs go to my 3 HD-TiVos and 2 outputs go to a Spaun 2x6 switch. Then 4 of those Spaun outputs go to my two SD-TiVos for reception of the 101 SAT. Will I still be able to do this with the Zinwell switch.

You can cascade two WB68 Zinwell 6x8 wideband switches.

-Robert
DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #82 (Print)
jdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt

You should be able to take two outputs from the new Zinwell switch, and put them to your 2X6 switch, with only the 101 satellite coming out from your 2X6, of course.

The new dish and multiswitches are designed to be backwards compatible with all current multiswitches and receivers. So if you have something hooked up today, it should work the same if hooked up to the new dish and/or multiswitch.
jdk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post