TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #31 (Print)
rowlandhills

In fact, going into a scaler like the Lumagen which will take RGBs, you'll probably be better off with this.

My understanding is that component video only has full bandwidth on the "Y" channel and not the "Pr" or "Pb". RGBs has full bandwidth on all three channels, plus the separate sync.

Normally, people choose component because RGBs only handles interlaced signals, whereas component can handle progressive scan images for better quality. However, since you'll be running it into a scaler, this will handle the deinterlacing, so you have no need for a progressive signal.

I'm in a similar position, as I plan to get a scaler in the next few months. Although I'm currently running component into my plasma screen (since it doesn't have a SCART socket) I will switch to RGBs to feed the scaler, as soon as I get it.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #32 (Print)
scrowe

Just reading the various threads. Any marginal improvement is always worth the effort for better PQ, and I'm assuming there wouldn't be any point in developing and publishing the component hack if there was no point, but if you're saying that there won't be any difference I'm happy to take you at your word.
scrowe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:17 AM   #33 (Print)
scrowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlandhills
In fact, going into a scaler like the Lumagen which will take RGBs, you'll probably be better off with this.
Hope that helps.

Yep. makes sense. Admittedly the PQ this way (RGBs, Mode0) is excellent.

I have an SDI-modded Sky+ box into the scaler, and though the picture is definitely an improvment, the convenience of the TiVo always wins out as my preferred way of watching.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #34 (Print)
rowlandhills

Well, if you really want the ultimate TiVo quality, you'll want to ship your tivo down to Elliot at PJ Hifi and get it SDI modded too!

On the other hand, you may already have a DVD player with SDI out as well as your Sky Plus, and I don't think the Lumagen allows more than 2 SDI inputs...

Can I ask what your iicsetw settings are, other than the component ones which you tried? I'm having trouble getting rid of colour over-saturation.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:08 AM   #35 (Print)
scrowe

I use the following line in startup, which I think is the original recommended in the early days of the iicset thread.

(sleep 40; /var/hack/bin/iicsetw 0x8C 0x38 20 0x39 20) &

Unfortunately, I'd prefer to spend the cash on getting my plasma ISF calibrated, which I'll do when I move house in the Spring, and along with upcoming HDTV, I think investing further in the TiVo may be a false economy. Still, it's hard to let go.