I recently acquired a Thomson Tivo and installed a 250GB drive using Steve Conrads Upgrade diary no. 3, which worked ok.
I then decided to do a complete reset so that I could use the box with my freesat and freeview combination. Tivo makes the 1st call in the guided setup fine 1st time but stubbornly refuses to make the 2nd call - where it fails during dialling before connecting.
Have tried different setups ie with ‘ariel only’, a different phone lead, unplugging all phone devices, different phone settings, somebody else’s phone line and a different tivo.bak image. But still the same problem.
Have you installed an LBA48 compatible Kernal to use the full size of the new 250Gb drive and initialised the swap file correctly?
Tivo's that have an expanded drive without a valid LBA48 Kernel installed often have problems with the modem connecting. They will generally connect once ok after a system re-start but subsequent connections will fail and might explain why the 2nd call is failing during guided setup!?
erm, it looks all good to me, you used an LBA48 compatible CD, the swap file settings are ok in the restore, an I think the copykern command is ok, I don't use it myself, I never could quite see why someone needed to write a batch command for tpip when it only takes a second to keyin the single line command :-)
Hi all, I'm new to the land of Tivo only having had mine for about 6 weeks now. Loving it so far. Have been keeping an eye on this forum for a couple of months whilie I hunted one down for myself.
I think I may be having the same problem as attv79. I followed the same guide to upgrade my Tivo to a 250G drive. All seemed to be working fine. Today I looked at the system status and it hasn't managed to make a successful call since I upgraded it.
If I force a test call it completes it with no problems but when I force a daily call if comes up with 'Failed. Unkown error.' (I guess during the guided setup the 1st call is the test and the second is the daily call so it looks like it's failing in the same place). It goes through preparing to dial, Housekeeping but fails on Dialling...
Healydave mentioned problems with dialling without a valid LBA48 Kernel installed. Could it be a corrupt LBA48 Kernal or something on the downloaded cd? If so how would we go about fixing it?
I've got guide data until the 7th Jan so not worried about missing my Christmas recordings but would like to try to fix this over the hioliday period.
and the assuming you extract the files to a FAT DOS partition mounted on your PC and leave the file names the same, the command you will want to use (assuming you had the Tivo drive connected to the Secondary Master IDE controller) is:
tpip -k vmlinu~1.px -s /dev/hdc
This is basically what the CopyKern does for you via menu driven script but I can't see the point to save you writting 31 characters :-)
No the utility simply copies the new Kernel over the old one and initialised the swap partition correctly.
If you have TivoWeb installed, you can verify the swap partition is initialised properly on the Information screen.
I had this problem when upgrading one of my TiVo HD's even thouh I had done the upgrade several times in the past. If you run copykern it comes up with a couple of lines and the a 'Success' message. Full of confidence you go away believing this however if the CD drive has not mounted correctly the swap file will not be initialised and you will get the dial up problem, re-boots and slow remote response.
When you run copykern make sure it lists what it has done and says '300mb swap file initilaised' etc. There should be about six lines of text before the ubiquitous 'Success' message.
If in doubt mount the CD manually (it will do no harm if it is already mounted) with mount /dev/hdX /cdrom where X is the allocated drive letter (a, b, c, d). Then run Copykern. Make a note of the full on screen response and post here for confirmation.
I've now followed this through and my Tivo will now complete the 2nd call. Thanks for the guidance to all who contributed.
A warning to those in the same position as I was though. At some point during this process I lost all recordings upto the last 3 days. All others recordings now say 'Error playing a recording' and gives the no video signal message. I know this isn't the case as it happened to one I was half way through watching and have watched several other in the last couple of days.
Not sure if these errors occurred when updating the kernal or because the kernal was referencing the disc incorrectly and now can't find the recordings where it thinks they should be. Either way it may be worth clearing the recordings or backing up to vcr before doing this.