TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #91 (Print)
restart88

I'm about ready to give this a try myself. I'm seriously considering dropping my landline entirely. Can someone post the part numbers for anywhere I can get what I need at a reasonable price?
restart88 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #92 (Print)
BKSea

PPP was ethernet cables?

I have a wired home network. My series one Direct / Tivo is downstairs. Is there any way to connect to my computer upstairs through the network wiring?
BKSea is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #93 (Print)
glen4cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSea
I have a wired home network. My series one Direct / Tivo is downstairs. Is there any way to connect to my computer upstairs through the network wiring?

Sure you can. Just follow the instructions on the 1st page of this thread.

You will have to figure out a way to connect to an unused network jack, or,
you could install a 1/8 female jack in an existing network plate. Use 3 of the
remaining 4 wires inside the network jack, and use a male/male 1/8 cable to
go from the Tivo to the jack. At the other end of THAT run, use the SAME three
wires and connect a 2nd female 1/8 jack. Then, use the Tivo serial cable mentioned in the same part of this thread to connect from that jack to the 9-pin sub D on your PC.

I installed one similar, only I pulled a CAT-3 cable down to the PC. That communicates just fine.

The CAT-5 is a higher quality, and your existing PC connection only uses 4 of the available 8 wires in a CAT-5, so, it should not cause any problems using 3 of the other 4 for the temporary connumications that your Tivo will use them for. Just make a note of which colors you use so you can repeat it in the basement.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #94 (Print)
fladays46

PPP Troubling Issue

I have 2 Directv Tivos and both are able to connect to my XP laptop via PPP but I am unable to complete the test or daily call (dies while configuring). What is more troubling to me is that 100% of the time I am able to connect and get new calling numbers using the same PPP solution. Any ideas?

I have tried using different IP Ranges (beyond the DHCP scope) and starting from scratch. I do notice that once the Tivo connects to the Laptop the Sent and Recieved bytes tend to stop at the same amount of bytes each time.
fladays46 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #95 (Print)
restart88

Is it really a daily call?

Looking at the system info it looks like mine calls every 3 days or so. I'm concerned because I am limited to 30 calls per month.

I don't make many local calls, but that would be my 30 right there.
restart88 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #96 (Print)
fladays46

PPPD Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoderelict
I'll answer my own question... This works perfectly for me...

Open the terminal and type as one line:

usdo pppd /dev/tty.USBDeviceName 115200 computerIPirecTivoIP noauth debug proxyarp persist maxfail 0 local passive

enter password when asked

"USBDeviceName" is the name of your USB devise
"computerIP is your computer's IP address
"DirecTivoIP" is the address you are assigning to the DirecTivo

You can get the USB Device name by typing in the terminal:

ls /dev | grep USA

you should get something like

% ls | grep USA
cu.USA1911123P1.1
tty.USA1911123P1.1

Then you need to forward packets on the Mac, so type in the terminal:

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

if asked, enter your password.

Go back to the DirectTivo and force a daily call using ,#211... Should work...

To undo it all you kill the pppd process; type in the terminal:

ps -xuaw | grep pppd

to get something like

root 1594 0.0 0.0 14028 300 ?? Ss+ 3:06PM 0:00.05 /usr/sbin/p etc etc

you need the number of the process 1594. With this in hand do

sudo kill 1594

or whatever number you had.

and turn off packet forwarding:

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=0

You're done.

Do I still need a null modem cable to make this work. If not I will need to get a F/M adapter. I have a Serial cable from Tivo and a IO USB to Serial. I am not able to make this work using the proc that was provided. Is there a way to log this?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #97 (Print)
BlindLemonLarry
'Lectric Chair Blues

Send a message via ICQ to BlindLemonLarry Send a message via AIM to BlindLemonLarry Send a message via Yahoo to BlindLemonLarry
For the life of me, I can't get this going with my wirelessly connected laptop. I've tried both static and DHCP. Disabled my (Zonealarm) firewall. Tried every possible speed. I even tried a USB to serial adapter instead of the built-in port, no luck.

The Tivo is talking...I can see it's connection attempts in Hyperterminal, and the activity lights on the USB adapter flash away. Still can't connect.
BlindLemonLarry is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #98 (Print)
fladays46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLarry
For the life of me, I can't get this going with my wirelessly connected laptop. I've tried both static and DHCP. Disabled my (Zonealarm) firewall. Tried every possible speed. I even tried a USB to serial adapter instead of the built-in port, no luck.

The Tivo is talking...I can see it's connection attempts in Hyperterminal, and the activity lights on the USB adapter flash away. Still can't connect.

What type of wireless router are you using? I am having an issue with my Dl-614+. Even with the firewall opened up I am not able to connect when I am connected to that box. I am using Vonage and have a Linksys RT31P2 that I am able to connect to an complete the daily call and the test call. I have been running a sniffer and I am trying to find out why the Dl+614 wont work.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:38 AM   #99 (Print)
BlindLemonLarry
'Lectric Chair Blues

Send a message via ICQ to BlindLemonLarry Send a message via AIM to BlindLemonLarry Send a message via Yahoo to BlindLemonLarry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fladays46
What type of wireless router are you using?

It's a Linksys WRT54GS with Sveasoft Alchemy firmware. (I needed the QOS features to resolve some VoIP issues.) There is no firewall, other than the NAT function.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #100 (Print)
jpnelson

I'm new to this forum. I was successfully able to engage the PPP. It did not work at first. Don't know why. But my question is: I have two directv tivos. Went to radio shack and picked up 1/8" stereo jack extensoin cable. Both work great. I can't automate it because it will not work when both are connected to a stereo y adapter. Has anyone had success with this or not.
jpnelson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #101 (Print)
Dirac

You might be having problems with this because it is a bidirectional transfer. When your PC tries to communicate upstream to the DTiVos, the splitter might cause enough of a voltage drop so the DTiVo cannot resolve the information coming to it from the PC.

One idea is to use both COM3 and COM4 if you have 2 DB9 serial ports on your PC.

Dirac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #102 (Print)
BlindLemonLarry
'Lectric Chair Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnelson
I was successfully able to engage the PPP. It did not work at first.
Is that aggravating, or what?!?

I spent hours over the past few nights trying to get this to work. Tonight I tried a few more times, then set the laptop down and walked away. An hour later, I came back and tried again...it worked perfectly! I didn't change a single damn thing, but it works every time now, both test and daily calls.

Even stranger, the first time it worked I didn't get any notification in the Network Connections window or system tray. I only knew it worked because the Tivo told me so. On all subsequent connections, <Unauthenticated User> appeared under "Incoming Connections" and a network connection icon showed the activity in the system tray. Go figure.

I'm glad it's working, but I wish I knew why.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:17 AM   #103 (Print)
jpnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac
You might be having problems with this because it is a bidirectional transfer. When your PC tries to communicate upstream to the DTiVos, the splitter might cause enough of a voltage drop so the DTiVo cannot resolve the information coming to it from the PC.

One idea is to use both COM3 and COM4 if you have 2 DB9 serial ports on your PC.

Yeah, I only have 1 serial port, com1. I did find a website that had a y adapter for serial ports. would this give me the same trouble or would it work. It's not a big deal, I just would like for it to be automatic. instead of remembering every week to switch the jacks and force a call.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:57 AM   #104 (Print)
jpnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLarry
Is that aggravating, or what?!?

I spent hours over the past few nights trying to get this to work. Tonight I tried a few more times, then set the laptop down and walked away. An hour later, I came back and tried again...it worked perfectly! I didn't change a single damn thing, but it works every time now, both test and daily calls.

Even stranger, the first time it worked I didn't get any notification in the Network Connections window or system tray. I only knew it worked because the Tivo told me so. On all subsequent connections, <Unauthenticated User> appeared under "Incoming Connections" and a network connection icon showed the activity in the system tray. Go figure.

I'm glad it's working, but I wish I knew why.

yeah, I must have called 30 times, messed with all the speeds, rebooted everything. Whatever I could think of. Finally I said f**k it . Dialed one last time at 1am on Saturday. And went to have a cig. I came back and it said test call successful. I think my mouth hung open for a minute or two. Then I forced a call, successful, then moved the port speed back up to 11500, and wholla. Whatever it was, I don't know either. But I'm glad it works. I'm trying to do all this BEFORE I go to a VOIP service. I have read what others are going through, I have no time for that crap.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #105 (Print)
Dirac

With this kind of crap there are so many variables, you never really know. One time I set this up and it wouldn't work for whatever reason until I reset my router. I think my IP lease expired or something.

I don't know if the serial Y adapter will work if the stereo Y adapter didn't. But, if you're REALLY dedicated to keeping things automated, buy one of those "Belkin USB Serial Adapters". Take the TiVo null modem cable, plug the stereo side into the TiVo, the DB9 side into the serial side of the adapter, and the USB side into the computer. I set one up for my laptop (no DB9 ports on it) and it established itself as COM5. Possibly you could do one of these and connect the other TiVo as COM1.

Earlier I confused COM ports with IRQs but you seem to have it figured out. My bad.

Dirac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post