TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #1 (Print)
coolbreeze

Uh-oh....went to cable and I really miss DirecTV!

I have had D* for about 1.5 years, started with the DVR80 DirecTiVo unit. Really loved the unit and service. I initially signed a 1 yr contract, so I was out of committment. Last week, on a whim I purchased the R15 (heck, it's free a/r). I hooked everything up, tried it for a few days, and really didn't like it, so I returned it. The salesman @ Circuit City told me that as long as I returned it within 30 days, my 2 yr committment would be reversed (back to no contract).

After I returned the unit, I discovered that I have been receiving free cable (along with my paid cable modem from Comcast) all this time (1.5 yrs). I then thought of the prospect of saving $58/month by cancelling DirecTV and just watching my expanded cable programming for free (my work pays for my cable modem). So I call D*. After going through many, many hoops about my 2-yr committment, I finally cancelled. D* told me that as soon as I activated the R15, my acct was locked to another 2-yr committment, despite the fact that I returned the R15. I was puzzled about this, b/c the committment is used to recoup the cost of the already discounted R15 DVR....but I returned it, so there was nothing to subsidize? Anyhow, after speaking to a Level 3 mgr, they finally let me out of my "contract" without charging me the $285 cancellation fee (magically added since I tried the R15....hmph).

So I hook up my cable, and go buy a 40-hr Tivo. I figure my TV expense is reduced from $58/month to $12.95/month...hey, sounds great. Well I like the Tivo features (wireless, updated s/w, etc) but MAN do I miss the dual tuner feature of my DirecTivo. I also miss the crisp audio and picture quality of DirecTV. I also miss XM....

I am torn between saving the $ each month, and dealing with the shortcomings of Tivo and cable TV. I really want to come back to DirecTV, so here's my question (whew, finally):

If I return to DirecTV with my old "paid-for" equipment, will they require me to sign another agreement? If so, why? I understand the committments are used to fund the cost of "free" or "discounted" equipment. I really don't like getting locked into contracts, and certainly don't want to be committed to 2-yrs when I'm using equipment that's already been paid for...Heck, they should be happy to have me back as a customer (I will return if there isn't a committment).

Anybody know the answer?

Thanks!
-breeze
coolbreeze is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #2 (Print)
RS4

Comcast is supposed to have a Tivo box next year. Maybe it won't have a 2 year comittment with it. I'd stick with them if you don't want the two-year mess.

I'm hoping that Comcast has their act together when my two years is up. I'm so disgusted with what Direct has done in the last few months. I've been with them since the beginning, but I think they'll start losing a lot more folks like me unless they change their ways.
RS4 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #3 (Print)
nellee

Send a message via AIM to nellee Send a message via Yahoo to nellee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4
Comcast is supposed to have a Tivo box next year. Maybe it won't have a 2 year comittment with it. I'd stick with them if you don't want the two-year mess.

I'm hoping that Comcast has their act together when my two years is up. I'm so disgusted with what Direct has done in the last few months. I've been with them since the beginning, but I think they'll start losing a lot more folks like me unless they change their ways.

What "ways" are you talking about?

I've had Directv for over 2 years and nothing has changed for me. I still have my ever-growing Tivo boxes, still recording 2 simultaneuous "perfect" recordings, have had only 1 rainfade in those years (just this past weekend with thunderstorms warnings in SF for the first time since I can remember), and being able to watch Fox and NBC crystal clear unlike Comcast.
nellee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #4 (Print)
RS4

1. small hdtv offering with large price
2. removed MC - I was a subscriber for 11 years and that was one reason why.
3. no Tivo improvements even though their box has less functions
4. long-term comittments
RS4 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #5 (Print)
bhawbaker

Quote:
D* told me that as soon as I activated the R15, my acct was locked to another 2-yr committment, despite the fact that I returned the R15. I was puzzled about this, b/c the committment is used to recoup the cost of the already discounted R15 DVR....but I returned it, so there was nothing to subsidize? Anyhow, after speaking to a Level 3 mgr, they finally let me out of my "contract" without charging me the $285 cancellation fee (magically added since I tried the R15....hmph).Thanks!

This is wrong... if you read the R10 or R15 rebate terms on their website, it clearly say that you can return the box to waive the fee for breaking contract.

Here is the portion:

"FAILURE TO ACTIVATE THE DIRECTV SYSTEM WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE MAY RESULT IN A CHARGE OF $150 PER DIRECTV RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED. IF YOU FAIL TO MAINTAIN YOUR PROGRAMMING COMMITMENT, DIRECTV MAY CHARGE YOU A PRORATED FEE OF UP TO $300 FOR ADVANCED RECEIVERS. IN LIEU OF PAYMENT, YOU HAVE AN OPTION TO SEND YOUR DIRECTV SYSTEM TO DIRECTV. VISIT DIRECTV COM OR CALL 1-800-DIRECTV FOR DETAILS."

- bob
bhawbaker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 07:17 PM   #6 (Print)
ADent

Almost any activation will get you a 1 yr committment.

You can escape the committment by turning in your equipment.
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 12:13 AM   #7 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
I was puzzled about this, b/c the committment is used to recoup the cost of the already discounted R15 DVR....but I returned it, so there was nothing to subsidize?
Uh, you're looking at it a little narrowly. Since you purchased and unpacked it, it is no longer new. They lost money by your returning it, since they can no longer sell it as new.

They lost money when they sold it to you at a discount. The two-year commitment would have compensated for the loss. But when you returned it and argued that you shouldn't be held to the commitment, they took a double hit.

Since they can no longer sell it new, it is not equivalent to never having sold it to you at all.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 AM   #8 (Print)
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
I have had D* for about 1.5 years, started with the DVR80 DirecTiVo unit. Really loved the unit and service. I initially signed a 1 yr contract, so I was out of committment. Last week, on a whim I purchased the R15 (heck, it's free a/r). I hooked everything up, tried it for a few days, and really didn't like it, so I returned it. The salesman @ Circuit City told me that as long as I returned it within 30 days, my 2 yr committment would be reversed (back to no contract).

After I returned the unit, I discovered that I have been receiving free cable (along with my paid cable modem from Comcast) all this time (1.5 yrs). I then thought of the prospect of saving $58/month by cancelling DirecTV and just watching my expanded cable programming for free (my work pays for my cable modem). So I call D*. After going through many, many hoops about my 2-yr committment, I finally cancelled. D* told me that as soon as I activated the R15, my acct was locked to another 2-yr committment, despite the fact that I returned the R15. I was puzzled about this, b/c the committment is used to recoup the cost of the already discounted R15 DVR....but I returned it, so there was nothing to subsidize? Anyhow, after speaking to a Level 3 mgr, they finally let me out of my "contract" without charging me the $285 cancellation fee (magically added since I tried the R15....hmph).

So I hook up my cable, and go buy a 40-hr Tivo. I figure my TV expense is reduced from $58/month to $12.95/month...hey, sounds great. Well I like the Tivo features (wireless, updated s/w, etc) but MAN do I miss the dual tuner feature of my DirecTivo. I also miss the crisp audio and picture quality of DirecTV. I also miss XM....

I am torn between saving the $ each month, and dealing with the shortcomings of Tivo and cable TV. I really want to come back to DirecTV, so here's my question (whew, finally):

If I return to DirecTV with my old "paid-for" equipment, will they require me to sign another agreement? If so, why? I understand the committments are used to fund the cost of "free" or "discounted" equipment. I really don't like getting locked into contracts, and certainly don't want to be committed to 2-yrs when I'm using equipment that's already been paid for...Heck, they should be happy to have me back as a customer (I will return if there isn't a committment).

Anybody know the answer?

Thanks!
-breeze

Are you wanting to return because you like D* better or the fact that they offer XM. If you pay for lifetime service with Tivo I think $300 and Lifetime XM i think $400 you will still save money on the year as opposed to 1K paying for D*... so do you want to save money or have D*
aztivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #9 (Print)
coolbreeze

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtremain
Uh, you're looking at it a little narrowly. Since you purchased and unpacked it, it is no longer new. They lost money by your returning it, since they can no longer sell it as new.

They lost money when they sold it to you at a discount. The two-year commitment would have compensated for the loss. But when you returned it and argued that you shouldn't be held to the commitment, they took a double hit.

Since they can no longer sell it new, it is not equivalent to never having sold it to you at all.

Well, the representative @ CC told me I had 30 days to return the receiver for a full refund. He also explicitly stated that if I return it, I am not required to have a 2-yr committment with D*. So, I explained this to the D* guy and he said they would file a dealer complaint. After all, the salesman at CC is giving customers mis-information, and should learn D*'s policies and procedures since he is representing D*.

So I did nothing wrong, and D* (eventually) corrected their wrong and let me out of the contract.

Anyway, they have my $ again. I signed up last-night (and DID NOT get locked into a contract). I can cancel whenever and not be charged a penalty.
coolbreeze is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #10 (Print)
Mori
TIVO Lover

I'm glad they worked with you, I know that a big headache is dealing with dealers, especially those that only do installs and represent themselves as D*, that is very confusing to customers and creates problems.
Mori is offline Report Bad Post Report Post