Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 01:17 AM   #1 (Print)
cyclejim

Usability of HD Tivo?

My wife and I love our SD tivo Hughes box. However I want to upgrade to HD Tivo and was wondering if the HD Tivos are pretty much the same as far as speed/usability? My wife just loves the TIVO we have and Id hate for there to be any nasty surprises with the new box. Same peanut remote, same screens, etc?

Also, we have Directv para todos with 3 LNB dish currently. Do we need any dish changes to go with the Direct HD Tivo?

thanks much!
cyclejim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 AM   #2 (Print)
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Send a message via AIM to litzdog911
Yes, the HR10-250 HD DVR has the same Tivo user interface that you're already familiar with. Even the same remote.

You won't need to make any changes to use the ParaTodos package with the HR10-250. But you'll want to be sure that you have enough outputs on your dish to support both HR10-250 tuners. Your current SD Tivo is probably using two of the four dish outputs. Do you have other DirecTV Receivers? If so, you'll need more than four outputs to feed all of your receivers and DVRs, so you'll need to add a multiswitch to your system. A 4x8 model, like the Terk BMS58, will provide eight outputs.

Sony SAT-A4, B4 Receivers
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
litzdog911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:09 AM   #3 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

You said that you'd like to "upgrade" to the HDTiVo. That implies a replacement. May I suggest that you keep both of them. No need to fill up the HDTiVo hard drive with SD content. The only extra cost will be the $4.99 mirroring fee for the new receiver.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:45 AM   #4 (Print)
Wolffpack

Depending on what version of software your SD Tivo is running you may find the HD menus a bit slower. Most SD Tivos are been upgraded to 6.2 which has sped up the menu interface. The HD Tivo is still on 3.1.5 (kinda like the 3.1.1x that SD's were running). 3.1.5 still has the slower menus. Not a real big deal but with my HDVR2 running 6.2 sitting next to my HR10-250 I do notice the slower guide display.
Wolffpack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #5 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Guide fills in noticeably slower on my T60 than the hdtivo. Not a dealbreaker...just didn't want your wife to get surprised.

One feature she will like is the advance button goes to the bottom/top of the now playing list instead of you scrolling through 35 pages of stuff to get to the bottom.

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē

Last edited by newsposter : 12-30-2005 at 10:03 AM.
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #6 (Print)
flmgrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
You said that you'd like to "upgrade" to the HDTiVo. That implies a replacement. May I suggest that you keep both of them. No need to fill up the HDTiVo hard drive with SD content. The only extra cost will be the $4.99 mirroring fee for the new receiver.

... ad flick back and forth between the two ? extra cables, extra remote, on which one did i record it ? etc... plug in an extra HD, shouldn't set you back much more than $100.- and you'll have plenty of room
flmgrip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #7 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip
... ad flick back and forth between the two ? extra cables, extra remote, on which one did i record it ? etc... plug in an extra HD, shouldn't set you back much more than $100.- and you'll have plenty of room

Well there are many ways of managing content. How I did it was put all the HD network OTA stuff obviously on HDtivo. Triple conflicts get put to the T60. After a week or so, you know what's what. you DO have to keep up on the Hd stuff though. I made the mistake of forgetting 5-8x the hard drive space used up with HD and lost some stuff. No problems whatsoever now though.

There really shouldn't be extra cables (unless you mean the satellite ones or dont want both tivos in the same room) if you are just viewing them right onto your TV. Providing 2 inputs on your tv of course. I introduced a dvd burner and do have multiple switches/amps etc, but that's only because i want to be able to watch any Tivo on any tv in the house and also record on the burner while another one is being watched. Great setup but you wont need all that.

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post