TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #181 (Print)
Tivo 175

I have an unmodified HDVR 2 that now has the 3.1.1d release and as any other release, I had to re-enter codes for the 30 second skip & Play list sort, but when I tried to reactivate the clock display (bottom right corner) code (Select-Play-Select-9-Select), it doesn't work I end up recording Channel 9 instead. Did anyone else notice this?

Old 10-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #182 (Print)
rwkling

I have had the d upgrade since last Wed.
Lost odd transponders on DSR704

DTV had no explanation then but I called back today and was told by 2nd tier support to:

disconnect inputs
put in stand by
wait [3] hours and retry
repeat [3] times if it doesn't work
then call back in to tech support

It might have better luck rubbing my head and belly while blinking my eyes!!!!

If it does work I will post.
Has anyone else been told this?
rwkling is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 01:14 PM   #183 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by Tivo 175
I have an unmodified HDVR 2 that now has the 3.1.1d release and as any other release, I had to re-enter codes for the 30 second skip & Play list sort, but when I tried to reactivate the clock display (bottom right corner) code (Select-Play-Select-9-Select), it doesn't work I end up recording Channel 9 instead. Did anyone else notice this?
Works fine for me. I entered while watching a recorded program.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 03:15 PM   #184 (Print)
nashley04

Does anybody know if this has been resolved by D* as of yet? It is getting really frustrating!!
nashley04 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #185 (Print)
Sir_whinealot
Seenyer Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwkling

DTV had no explanation then but I called back today and was told by 2nd tier support to:

disconnect inputs
put in stand by
wait [3] hours and retry
repeat [3] times if it doesn't work
then call back in to tech support

It might have better luck rubbing my head and belly while blinking my eyes!!!!

Make sure you hop on your right foot for 30 seconds, and then the left for 30 seconds, while singing the lyrics to Brittany Spears' "Toxic." This, in addition to rubbing your head and belly...
Sir_whinealot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #186 (Print)
jbolt

Just to add some info here-

The HDRV2 D* sent to replace my RCA DVR40 had the same problem AFTER the "d" update (no odd transponders on Sat 101 & 119). D* sent out an installer today to troubleshoot the problem. In the beginning I played dumb and let him work his way through by himself, so he went about checking the line voltages and the multiswitch. His first conclusion was the LNB was bad. He then talked to his supervisor who told him to check the other receivers in the house. Having fond that all the signals were good on the other receivers he called his super back. They bi-passed the MS and Then concluded the multiswitch was at fault. He replaced the JVI 4x8 with an Eagle Aspen 4x8. Now all the 101 transponders worked but the 119 odds and none of the 110 had a signal. He said the signals in general were weak 60-65 so went to the roof and realigned the dish. All transponders on 101 are 85-100, 119 even 85-100, 119 odd no signal and 110 are now 80+? Interestingly enough realigning the dish did not do much for the other standard revivers where the signal strengths only showed a few points of improvement whereas it made a big difference on the tivo box.

Currently I'm going through all the previous troubleshooting suggestion before I call D* yet again <sigh> getting closer though.
jbolt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2004, 07:18 AM   #187 (Print)
Trebor1

I unplugged the phone as soon as i read about this here.I do not yet have D upgrade.

I came home yesterday and i had the same situation as if i had gotten D.No odd transponders on sat. 2/searching for signal.I went to the attic to look at my multi-switch,it was very hot to the touch. I came back down and began switching wires.when i started to unscrew sat.2 cable on TIVO unit i suddenly had all transponders. I thought it was a faulty cable so i switched it out........same problem.

As it turns out,as strange as it sounds,if i tighten my sat.2 cable it loses odd transponders. By backing it off one full turn,on the back of TIVO(Samsung/6 months), everything works fine.90's strength on all transponders.

after doing this the MS cooled down considerably.
Trebor1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2004, 08:06 AM   #188 (Print)
tkrandall

Quote:
Originally posted by tkrandall
My SD-DVR40 got "d" last night. I knew something was up when the unit was "dead" this morning, as it would not respond to the remote or front panel buttons.

So, I did a cold power-off restart and thankfully the unit came up fine with "d", and appeared to be working in Live TV mode. I hope the overnight false re-boot/lockup was the only thing that will be messed up with the software load.

I do have a 4x8 multiswitch (forget the brand at the moment), added last March when I got the DVR40.

My HDVR2 is still sitting on "c".

My HDVR2 got "d" over the weekend. Neither unit is having any problems that I can tell. My multiswitch is a Zinwell 4x8, I think the SAM-4803.
tkrandall is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 AM   #189 (Print)
HalfFull

My $.02

I've had the dreaded "searching for..." problem for several weeks. Intially tried calling D* "support" , but after long hold times and several dropped calls I gave up.

Before reading these threads, I Tried all the normal reboobing, disconnecting/swapping inputs, dish re-alligns, etc. No joy....still missing odd transponders. I figured it *had* to be a bad triple LNB, so I bought a new one and things worked! (for about a day). Then back to the original problem.

About a week ago, switched to a spare cable I have, while the TIVO was on(I have three lines to my TV room). Anyway, its been about a week and I've still got all signals.

If it goes down again, I'll sprinkle frog dust on the TIVO, and try my voodoo chants....
HalfFull is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #190 (Print)
ct williams

I got the replacement receiver they sent, a HDVR2 (that someone really whacked with something, huge dent). I hooked it up, booted it up, and it had no access card. Called DirecTV and they said I had to use my card from my other HDVR2 with the d update problem.

There was nothing else I could do, so I agreed. Software on the refurb unit is old, the 3.1 software they started with. Both inputs are fine, works great. Five minutes later, it reboots itself, and is now stuck on "Almost there....a few more seconds".

Now I have two tivos that are broken. I am getting ready to call DirecTV, argue to have my access card switched back over, send this one off, and try for round two.

So, I never got to update to D on the refurb to see what happens.....

Thanks, Directv.

CT
ct williams is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #191 (Print)
jbolt

Dang CT my referbed unit lasted 48 hours.

The gal at D* took pitty on me last night after hearing my whole story and they are sending a new unit with installation at no charge.
jbolt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #192 (Print)
alan

I got 3.1.1d-01-2-381 on last Sunday around 10pm. When my Samsung SIR-S4120R rebooted it got stuck around the 53% mark on the acquiring information from the satellite screen. Needless to say I missed from then until I got back into town Monday night and found it in that state. Anyway, I power cycled and it came up the rest of the way. I haven't noticed anything else yet. We'll see as it burns in.
alan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #193 (Print)
Rob00GT
This space for rent.

I have 3.1.1d on my Hughes unit with no ill effects. The other one isn't plugged into the phone right now so it's holding at 3.1.1c "just in case".

All Zippered using instructions from this site. Thanks!
Rob00GT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 12:44 AM   #194 (Print)
cmoya

"d" upgrade

Hughes HDVR2 with 80mb disk 3.1..c…151

Saturday October 9, 4AM PST – I woke up early to find a black Tivo logo announcing it was installing a new upgrade which should take a few minutes.

About 7AM the black logo was still there so I cycled the power, got the grey welcoming screen which hangs on for ~15 seconds, resets and ends up back at the grey welcome screen in an unpleasant endless loop.

I opened the unit and installed another 80GB drive I had created during my capacity upgrade (to noisy). The DVR started fine and functioned normally. I then forced a daily call which downloaded the upgrade and put me back to the endless loop after a reset again.

After this I generated another disk drive with a 3.1..c..151 disk image, went through the setup process (which does a test call only) and unplugged the phone line.

I don’t think I’ll plug that phone line back in until I see come more positive responses here.

Now I’ve got to figure out how to recover the content off the other drives so my wife doesn’t make me sleep outside.

This is a great forum!!! Thanx all!!
cmoya is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 03:42 AM   #195 (Print)
SithToast

Send a message via ICQ to SithToast Send a message via AIM to SithToast Send a message via Yahoo to SithToast
I just recieved 3.1.1d. It upgraded fine but failed when it tried to get the satellite info (it got to ~70%).

I filpped thru some of the channels and it seemed slow. So I'm going to restart the reciever and see if that does anything....

SithToast is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 03:56 AM   #196 (Print)
SithToast

Send a message via ICQ to SithToast Send a message via AIM to SithToast Send a message via Yahoo to SithToast
Hmm, after a reboot, the channels seem to change faster.
However, I got a satellite info error when after it hit 97% (doh! almost there!).

Also, the channel info banner flickered from the regular blue to black and white, but returned to normal when it recieved the channels feed.

SithToast is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #197 (Print)
SoJo

I have the Hughes series 2 system that has the 3.1.1d problem. I called D* they had me run around for about swapping out my other receive to see if the wiring was bad so on and so forth. I finally got over to a level two person and “After some Research” they determined there was a problem with my system due to the update and they were going to send me “Another System” free of charge.

The system arrived in two business days, (It is a Philips) I hooked everything up, called in an activated my card and boom, I am watching all my favorite channels again. Checking the System Information after setting the system up my software version says 3.1.1a. So I go ahead and force a daily call so I can start setting up my Season passes again everything seems to be find.

This morning I go to tune into one of my kids favorite channels (295) and I get No Signal on SAT 1 error messages. So if I was you I would wait until 1) they announce they have a problem with this latest update and 2) they fix the problem.

JVC RX 401S Receiver

"Smith and Wesson, the original point and click interface"
SoJo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2004, 01:53 PM   #198 (Print)
taylor2767

Note 3.1.1d

I have a HDVR2 and a Samsung 4040r which both have upgraded to 3.1.1 d without any problems. So, what's the deal with all these threads?

Old 10-15-2004, 08:46 PM   #199 (Print)
compe2b

I have a Samsung 4040R modified with two 160Gb QuickView harddrives.

After upgrading Tuesday night to 3.1.1d I have no signal on Sat ln 1 - 119 (B) odd transponders.

I just got off the phone with DTV and the second tier tech person told me that it was a known problem with this software version 3.1.1d.

What they are saying is that the software is not fully downloading, and that this can affect all models (no model Series II DirecTv Tivo is immune). Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the code downloaded fully or not because whether it did or didn't, it says "successful" and it says a restart is required. When it fails to fully download you loose signal on one of the tuners (can be ln 1 or ln 2) on the odd transponders.

DTv's fix: do a complete clear & reset of your system from the menu... losing all saved programs and settings. This will revert you back to the original software version... however, the new code will try to download again the next time it does it's automatic call. If you get a completed download, you're fixed! If not they will send you a new one (if you call them).

BTW - They say this can take up to four (4) hours to reset... so do it when you'll be away for a bit.

I'm looking at options of trying to save my programs before reverting back... we'll see.
compe2b is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #200 (Print)
beecher

Good luck to anyone calling D tech help. I have given up three times after being on hold for 50 mins each time (tier 2).....I can only take so much of the elevator music!
beecher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #201 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Old 10-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #202 (Print)
outerlimits
SKI BUM. Got Snow?

Quote:
Originally posted by compe2b
I have a Samsung 4040R modified with two 160Gb QuickView harddrives.

After upgrading Tuesday night to 3.1.1d I have no signal on Sat ln 1 - 119 (B) odd transponders.

I just got off the phone with DTV and the second tier tech person told me that it was a known problem with this software version 3.1.1d.

What they are saying is that the software is not fully downloading, and that this can affect all models (no model Series II DirecTv Tivo is immune). Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the code downloaded fully or not because whether it did or didn't, it says "successful" and it says a restart is required. When it fails to fully download you loose signal on one of the tuners (can be ln 1 or ln 2) on the odd transponders.

DTv's fix: do a complete clear & reset of your system from the menu... losing all saved programs and settings. This will revert you back to the original software version... however, the new code will try to download again the next time it does it's automatic call. If you get a completed download, you're fixed! If not they will send you a new one (if you call them).

BTW - They say this can take up to four (4) hours to reset... so do it when you'll be away for a bit.

I'm looking at options of trying to save my programs before reverting back... we'll see.

I guess this is just another example of BS customer service from Directv that Chris G would tell you is the best of the best. The Customer rep is full of crap. A CLEAR and DELETE ALL WILL NOT revert you back to original software version. Geez you gotta love customer service that tells a customer to blow away all of their recordings and the problem will not be fixed.

Directv Customer service fix for all problems is Clear Delete All. Beautiful.
outerlimits is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #203 (Print)
compe2b

Yeah, so I found out. Clear & Reset does crap, except lose my recordings and settings!

If there is an issue, they should stop pushing this code out to people. I restored my Tivo from a backup and was running 3.1.1c code again without any problems.... I tried one more time to do the update and once again the update appeared to succeed, but went right back to no signal on Sat ln 1.

I just finished my second restore from backup... unplugging the phone line.
compe2b is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #204 (Print)
_robertm

I also had the lnb problem on number 2. It was only working for certain channels and most of my locals were out. Swapping the cable did not help as the problem moved to the other input. I initially thought my dish was mis-aligned but everything that did come in work flawlessly with a high signal.

I have a 4 LNB dish and swapped the bad cable with one that ran upstairs to a different room on the the dish. This corrected the problem and the room upstairs also works. Its been good for over a week now.

I thought it was my dish malfunctioning until today when I read all these others having the same problem...

Directv has to get their act together!

Old 10-17-2004, 06:11 AM   #205 (Print)
ungarod
Guns and Dogs... :)

Send a message via Yahoo to ungarod
Alrighty - another data point. I am having the problem on both satellite inputs after the 'd' upgrade.

This morning I dug out an old combiner/diplexer - I used it YEARS ago to put an antenna signal onto the satellite cable feeding a receiver. Anyway - I've only got 1 right now - but the side I put it on works fine. So I am off this morning to get another one and put it on the other side.

Thanks to Gil in the other thread - he came up with an attenuator he built and I am too lazy for that so I used this old diplexer and it worked...

Raleigh, NC
ungarod is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2004, 02:54 PM   #206 (Print)
bnm81002

the download knocked out my signal for "satellite IN 2" and channels 2-99 on both satellite lines 1 and 2, help please, thanks
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2004, 04:38 PM   #207 (Print)
diggerg56
Stranded in Iowa

Count me among those with longer cable runs that have no problem with 'd'

My RCA DVR40 got the update a few weeks ago. I recently bought a new RCA DVR80 and it got the update a couple nights ago and works fine since the restart.

The runs to the two Directivo's are in the 75 foot range.

Just thought I would throw that out.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #208 (Print)
salvatore

Spoke to Tier 2 support again last night. The woman said they "knew there was an issue with 3.1.1d" and that the current answer is to send out new DVRs to customers with problems.

They had me try half a dozen different things first, including a clear/reset, reboot, try different receiver, et cetera. Nothing worked; channels 0-99 still get no signal on the DVR.

They shipped out a new unit and said to give it until the end of the week.

Questions:

* They said the "voltage from the multiswitch is the problem", and that it was caused by the software update. How does a software change to the Tivo unit alter how the multiswitch routes its data? Or is the problem really how the Tivo interprets what is already coming from the multiswitch?

* If this was caused by a software update, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper/more efficient to repair by a subsequent update?

* What kind of unit do they ship to replace our defective ones? Obviously a different model, right? Otherwise we'd all be experiencing this issue even after a replacement Tivo.

psn radio - http://www.palmisanonet.com:9875
salvatore is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #209 (Print)
dnemec123
Now own 2 DirecTiVos

Send a message via MSN to dnemec123
There's a newer version (3.1.1e) being sent out.

See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=201355 for details and to sign-up on the priority form.

(JavaHMO, TiVoServer, TyTools, TiVo Desktop, Dailymail_jazz)
dnemec123 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #210 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250