Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #1 (Print)
M0nk3y

Arrow no daily call

I went to record a show on Saturday to find no program listing? Mr Tivo had not made a call since the 26th June

The modem seems to dial the number OK, but comes back with "number unavailable".

If I listen on another line when I do a test call the modem dials and connects, goes into handshaking, but never negotiates, just carries on squawking until timeout.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

I d have a turbonet card, but not sure how to set the box up to do an internet call, but all the same, would like to get the modem working if I can.

Cheers

M

Old 07-04-2004, 05:25 PM   #2 (Print)
Paul Stimpson

Hi,

If you telnet in to your TiVo and type /sbin/nic_config_tivo I believe you should be able to change your daily call to Turbonet.

Cheers,
Paul.
Paul Stimpson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 05:26 AM   #3 (Print)
M0nk3y

Cheers, i'll try that. Is there a parameter to change, or is it obvious?

Anyone had simular problems with thier modem? Is it worth ringing cust service?

M

Old 07-05-2004, 06:36 AM   #4 (Print)
i_c_bradley

I have a 160GB and changed to a LBA48 kernel to use all the drive. After installing a turbonet card I also had trouble with the daily call. After some digging on the forum I changed the swap file back to 127 (from 255) and the daily call is fine now.

Not sure if this helps and it appears that I now have a problem should I ever get a GSOD!
i_c_bradley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #5 (Print)
M0nk3y

Smile

Weird, I could not telnet or ping the Tivo either to try an internet upgrade? Reset the box (again) and the modem /network is working now!!!So the Mrs is happy.

Whilst Iím asking questions (sorry) I can not run the command sbin/nic_config_tivo as it comes back as unrecognised. Looking a previous posts, it seems that there are a few versions of turbonet. So to the questions

1. How do I find out what version of turbonet I have?
2. Is there other commands I can try to get the internet upgrade working?
3. Can I upgrade Turbonet drivers without removing the drive, if so which version should I be looking at.
4. When I re-boot my box, I loose my network settings, is there a way to hard code these in for when the box re-boots.

Sorry for the questions,

Thanks for your help and guidance.

M

Old 07-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #6 (Print)
incognito56

Check out further discussion on http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...hreadid=182700. Do you have software version 2.5.5a?
incognito56 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 03:04 PM   #7 (Print)
Robert S

ICB: I would guess that you failed to properly initialise the large swap partition and thus had no swap at all. This is known to break the indexer, and therefore your daily calls.

127Mb of swap is enough for 274Gb of disk space, so there's no cause for concern if you've only got 160Gb at the moment. You presumably still have a 255Mb partition 8, even if you've only got a 127Mb signature on it, so if you upgrade again, you can have another go at initialising that partition at that time.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #8 (Print)
Paul Stimpson

Did you type /sbin/nic_config_tivo or sbin/nic_config_tivo ?
Paul Stimpson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 03:15 PM   #9 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

[M0nk3y] Erm, hang on a sec, if you have turbonet installed, why would you be using the modem to dial out anyway?

The default setting whenever a network card is installed is to change the way the tivo connects to the servers to use your default gateway setting (e.g through your routers permenant internet connection) rather than using the modem (via dial-up) anymore!

If you are connecting your tivo to a telephone line, you or someone would have previously had to go in and manually change the daily call setting back from "Network" to "Dialup".

Now the tivo o/s wasn't written with the turbonet in mind, so if you network connection goes down or something on your network has been changed to prevent access to the tivo servers (firewall implementation / config changes for example), the connection screens will still state the same errors based on the dialup notation.

e.g. even though the tivo is using the network to access the tivo servers, if it can't, it will say "Failed, number unavailable".

The fact that you couldn't ping or telnet to your ticvo kinda sounds like there was a networking issue too!

Now that you have rebooted, can you ping and telnet to you tivo?

If so, I suspect that rebooting your tivo has ressurected you network connection and I'd be very suprised if you are infact connecting via the modem!

If you can get access to your tivo now, try the commands again:

cd /sbin
nic_config_tivo

Check what the daily call option states, you can simply exit without changing anything.

Last edited by healeydave : 07-05-2004 at 03:28 PM.
healeydave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 03:33 PM   #10 (Print)
M0nk3y

paul, i tried both. I thought i had the latest turbnet driver at the time of install about a year ago. Anyway of checking?

M

Old 07-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #11 (Print)
M0nk3y

healeydave, when i originally put the turbonet card in, i never had broadband. At the time i chose the modem option on install. Now Mr BT has upgraded my exchange, i have broadband, but never got round to changing anything Tivo side as it just worked. When it failed i tried the commands to change, but i do not seem to have that command in my /sbin dir.
I now have the phone line back working and the ethernet (i don't know why they stopped working), but this has pointed me in the direction of a web update, but can't seem to change the option?

Cheers
M

Old 07-06-2004, 02:33 AM   #12 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

Ah, ok, well I think its one of those classic reboot cures all scenarios then :-)

Old 07-06-2004, 03:13 AM   #13 (Print)
M0nk3y

anymore help on how i can get the internet upgrade working? i would now like to use this feature.

Cheers

Old 07-07-2004, 06:33 AM   #14 (Print)
M0nk3y

Paul / Guys

Anything else i can try or find more info on setting the box to use broadband.

Cheers

M