July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 PM   #1 (Print)
tedder
Irregular

Arrow How to do second upgrade?

So I have a SAT-T60. I upgraded the original 40gb to a 120gb drive. Now I need to upgrade the 120gb to something else- a 300gb in this case.

Specifically, I'm trying to replace the A drive with a larger one (120 to 300gb). This isn't adding another drive, I want my current goodies on the larger drive- no loss of shows or such.

How do I do this? If I use mfstools, I get this:
Code:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/(old) | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/(new) Scanning source drive. Please wait a moment. Source drive size is 39 hours - Upgraded to 126 hours Uncompressed backup size: 112478 megabytes Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself. Backing up 1 of 112478 megabytes (0.00%)

I also noticed the mfs tools 2 boot CD recognizes the bigger drive at the 137gb limit.

So, what do I need to do? I figure I'll use the Ultimate Boot CD next, which will let me copy the kernel over. But is there anything else I should be aware of on a second upgrade? I found an older thread or two mentioning this, but didn't see the solution- and Hinsdale et al don't really mention it.

Last edited by tedder : 12-10-2005 at 06:30 PM.
tedder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #2 (Print)
tedder
Irregular

As I find possible solutions, I'll add them to this thread.

First, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...orn's entry says to run mfsrestore without the -x option.
tedder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #3 (Print)
brossow
LS1C10.com

Send a message via AIM to brossow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
As I find possible solutions, I'll add them to this thread.

First, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...orn's entry says to run mfsrestore without the -x option.

That's exactly the problem I encountered trying to backup my 80+80 drives onto a single 250GB drive (as described in another thread.) Ultimately the only way it would run is if I removed the -x flag. Unfortunately, that left me in a situation where I now have everything on the single 250GB drive, but the TiVo only sees the original recording space of 160GB and doesn't see the full capacity (presumably because the -x flag was removed, which would have expanded the space available.)

Old 12-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #4 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Your partition table is full. The -x adds and MFS partition pair, and since you expanded once, which is the limit on you sort of TiVo, you cannot expand anymore. If you want to use all of that drive, you need to sacrifice your recordings with the -s option in backup.

Edited to add: You could also do sector editing to move partitions, but that is too involved for discussion here.

Last edited by classicsat : 12-11-2005 at 12:16 PM.
classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #5 (Print)
MickeS

Not sure if I read this thread right, but I have a question.

I currently have a 40GB drive and a 160GB drive (recognized as 137GB due to lack of lba48 support) in my 230040 SA TiVo, running software version 7.2.1(a I think). The 160GB drive was of course added by me.

I want to replace both those drives with one 300GB drive.

If I read the above messages correctly, I can run MFStools and get lba48 support on the 300GB drive, and get all my information over to it (SP, network settings, line-up settings and all that stuff), except recordings.

Is that correct? Is it corretc that lba48 support is built into my OS version, and only MFStools is necessary (not ptvupgrade)?
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #6 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

You need LBA 48 in two places.

One is in the boot CD Linux OS. The PTVUpgrade CD has that.

The other is in the TiVo operating system. Anything higher than V5 typically has LBA48. 6.2/7.2 definiately does, as does any version on any hardware that begins with a service number of 5.

Yes, you can move to a single 300 GB drive and use all of it, if you are willing to lose recordings.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:48 AM   #7 (Print)
MickeS

I ran the weaknees upgrade CD earlier tonight, which also has lba48 support. Skipped the recordings, and everything went without a hitch, going from 40+137 to 300 GB. Now have 342 hours at basic.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #8 (Print)
billym99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
I ran the weaknees upgrade CD earlier tonight, which also has lba48 support. Skipped the recordings, and everything went without a hitch, going from 40+137 to 300 GB. Now have 342 hours at basic.

MickeS (or anybody),

Question, when you did the 2 --> 1 upgrade, did you treat the second hdd that you originally added (the 160) as a "factory drive" as per the mfs tools instructions... reason i ask is i'm doing a similar upgrade (40+120 --> 250) because my 120 is going bad... i want to know if when i do the upgrade if i need to connect the 120 to my computer, or just connect the factory 40 drive and the 250 that i am moving to. THANKS FOR ANY HELP, you guys are great!

billy meredith

*EDIT - I do not care about saving recordings.... if that makes a difference.

Last edited by billym99 : 12-15-2005 at 11:50 AM.
billym99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #9 (Print)
MickeS

Quote:
i want to know if when i do the upgrade if i need to connect the 120 to my computer, or just connect the factory 40 drive and the 250 that i am moving to

Good question. I used both "old" drives and treated the second as an original drive - however the mfs application clearly differentiated between them and said I had 39 + 195 hours. It said the image it copied was 39 hours (around 800MB) and that the new capacity on the new drive would be 342 hours (iirc).

I imagine that it would need both "old" drives since TiVo treats them as one drive, and I imagine mfs tools does too. But I don't know for sure. Doesn't hurt to try.

Quote:
EDIT - I do not care about saving recordings.... if that makes a difference.

Good - because you won't be able to. It will say that the destination image is too small. No idea why, but it does. So you have to use the "I don't care about saving recordings" option in the interactive weaknees instructions.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #10 (Print)
billym99

mickes,

thanks for the reply... i just ran a maxtor diagnostic on my drive and it did pick up bad sectors, so i'm going to go ahead and replace with a 250.... guess i'll hook up both drives to be safe. thanks again.

billy m.
billym99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post