THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #151 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA
Yes, I'm a Windows user but I wasn't making selling predictions. I was just musing over the fact that Apple just has to make a glance into some market direction and there's all sorts of positive buzz. Things like "TiVo killer", etc are bandied about in regards to an unreleased product with an undisclosed feature set.

I think Jobs was/is thinking of downloading HD for revenue vs recording things via a DVR. The DVR will come along evenyually and Apple can wait for cable card to shake out more fully before comitting there.

as Unix Beard pointed out - paying DVD box set prices to be able to download a series in HD format would not seem unreasonable to a lot of people, especially if they currently are not subscribed at the digital level on the cable company.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #152 (Print)
SullyND
MMM... Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
I think Jobs was/is thinking of downloading HD for revenueas Unix Beard pointed out - paying DVD box set prices to be able to download a series in HD format would not seem unreasonable to a lot of people, especially if they currently are not subscribed at the digital level on the cable company.

However; How often do you purchase DVD Box sets? Enough to warrant a device that soley allows you to download that content?
SullyND is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #153 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

ThinkSecret just posted a boatload of new info (speculation?) on new content, distribution methods, and partnerships:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0511contentdist.html

I'm with Zeo in thinking this will be less of a DVR, at least the first rev. More media hub for content you own or content you will purchase/rent (such as iTunes or these new movies).
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #154 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
More media hub for content you own or content you will purchase/rent (such as iTunes or these new movies).

all your Media are belong to us.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #155 (Print)
emeril2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar
They could have an ad-free product, but it would have to be subscription and be like $25 a month or more or something. I'd rather have MORE ads and a lower cost, personally

I'm thinking more along the lines of:

High hardware cost
No monthly recurring charge.
$1.50 for every program you record.
Proprietary video format with DRM
emeril2k1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #156 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
ThinkSecret just posted a boatload of new info (speculation?) on new content, distribution methods, and partnerships:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0511contentdist.html

I'm with Zeo in thinking this will be less of a DVR, at least the first rev. More media hub for content you own or content you will purchase/rent (such as iTunes or these new movies).

I don't know how I feel about that distribution/storage method. Storing everything we buy from iTunes on the iDisk? Nothing on the local hard drive?

I can't even articulate why that bothers me... but something about it doesn't seem right.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #157 (Print)
jmoak

You start a show you can’t even finish it.
You’re watchin’ a lot, but you’re not seein’ anything.
When I have nothing to see, my eyes are sealed.
See something once, why see it again?

Tivo killer,
Qu’est que c’est
Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better
Run run run run run run run away

jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #158 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak
You start a show you can’t even finish it.
You’re watchin’ a lot, but you’re not seein’ anything.
When I have nothing to see, my eyes are sealed.
See something once, why see it again?

Tivo killer,
Qu’est que c’est
Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better
Run run run run run run run away

we might have to start charging for the content on this thread

but yes - this the problem I think Rog has as well. You start to watch something and can not finish it right then.

do you (remember - none of this is on the hard drive of the mini but online at itunes)
1. not own it adn are out of luck if you did not watch it then.
2. have 24 hours or 48 or a week to watch it
3. own it - but have to watch/FF it from the begining when you get back to it.
4. become greatly impressed that yes it is all online and buffered in that iDrive falsh thing, but it is all bookmarked and remembers all the playlists and where you were or has random shuffle of everything etc..
Old 12-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #159 (Print)
Justin Thyme

Or, for portable video, people could just burn DVDs using an $89 dvd recorder, and play it on a $99 portable dvd player. Video? No charge. Keep as long as you want..

Apple: Buy a $500 set top device, pay for video, can’t keep it.

For the last 30 years, consumers have grown accustomed to the notion of recording and keeping video. Apple and other CE companies attempting to weedle content deals with the studios have a very very rough road ahead of them.

Last week on my walkabout, I saw a bunch of kids gathered around a video iPod. It was interesting at first because I thought that this is something they normally did. But it was rather a first kid on the block novelty thing. The kid had one music video only that he had purchased. And he played it over and over to show people. This kid was 14.

Q:If this is the only video, are you going to get more?
A: No- I don’t want to pay for that stuff. But I have a friend who knows how to get free video.
Q: What else is on it?
A: 3000 Songs
Q: You bought 3000 songs from itunes?
A: No, only 5. The rest I get when I visit my friends' houses.

The point? There is a heck of a lot of expectation of large masses of free video on video devices- portable or otherwise.

No- the kid didn’t know you could get free video onto the iPod from Tivo. He did know you could get Tivo shows on a computer though, which did surprise me.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #160 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
For the last 30 years, consumers have grown accustomed to the notion of recording and keeping video. Apple and other CE companies attempting to weedle content deals with the studios have a very very rough road ahead of them.

On the other hand, many are content to rent video either in physical stores or through services like Netflix. I've sold most of my DVDs and stopped buying except for the rare exceptional film. I've also dumped most of my CDs and MP3 players in favor of XM Radio.

I think your point is the pay-per-item with nothing left to show seems to rub people the wrong away. (Though supposedly Apple is doing OK selling these shows at 2 bucks a pop.) What I like about Netflix and XM is the all-you-can eat aspect - basically for a flat fee I can watch as many DVDs as I want from a huge library or listen to any of 100+ music stations.

If you take that model to the computer or media hub it could work - I don't want to be nickel and dimed to death the way I might be with each $4 MovieLink download having a limited viewing period. But if I can watch say 2 movies a week through my online account/queue for $25/mo I'd be in. Akimbo has some of those fetures, though they charge for 'premium' content (which is most of the good stuff) and sadly they don't have so many great partnerships.

(I'm willing to concede my opinion on this and my use of media may be in the minority.)
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #161 (Print)
TiVoCanada

dunno if this has been posted but cnn has a story on this
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/...5.ap/index.html
TiVoCanada is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #162 (Print)
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kighter
I think it's WAY too early to get in this market and do it the way Apple likes to do it (easy fast and reliably). I think they'll be in it in a big way, but not in the next 6 months...

I think it will be sooner than 6 months. Apple has a proven track record with the iPod. The momentum is building.

2006 should be an interesting year indeed....
DocNo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 02:01 AM   #163 (Print)
Justin Thyme

Yawn. Momentum towards what? Single tuner SD DVR costing 10 times what a Tivo costs?

$1.99 Videos that I can't keep?

Sorry, I don't think we are on the road to heck in a handbasket, no matter who thinks he is at the wheel.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #164 (Print)
DocNo

Arrow

Shoveling the FUD, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
Yawn. Momentum towards what? Single tuner SD DVR costing 10 times what a Tivo costs?

Based on what? Single tuner or the cost? Tivo isn't that cheap when you factor in the sub or lifetime. 10 times $350 is $3,500 - I highly doubt Apples solution (if there is one) will cost that much.

Quote:
$1.99 Videos that I can't keep?

More baseless speculation? If you actually read Apple's Terms of Service there are no time restrictions.

So far the only ones who have implemented or talked about time restrictions are Microsoft with their DRM and Tivo via Macrovision's DRM.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think we are on the road to heck in a handbasket, no matter who thinks he is at the wheel.

I don't think I'm that pessimistic... However I do agree that I think we are sliding into a DRM world. If it's reasonable such as Apples is, then I don't mind as much. If it's crap where content expires and disappears and other such BS then I'll just stop partaking in the traditional media.

However, if you followed the link in my post - you would see Apple is selling a ton of video content, even with all it's restrictions (technical and DRM). You better believe the content providers are noticing.

And again, I think it's great. I have no problem paying for high quality (Apples isn't yet - one reason why I'm not buying right now) commercial free content on demand. As I have said, I really don't want a PVR. A PVR is just an end to a means - I want content, when I want it. Compared to buying on demand vs. fussing with a PVR to "scrape" content off the airways, I would rather just buy it with no fuss.
DocNo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #165 (Print)
pobox3721

Send a message via AIM to pobox3721
Okay, Apple came out with the iTunes music store and created the largest, legal, online store for music. They have branched out into numerous countries. They created the iPod, the world's number one music player (I have yet to see Microsuck come up with ANYTHING that even produces a whiff of competition.)

Next, they came up with an iPod capable of playing video. To note, have you ever seen Apple call this the "iPod Video?" The answer is a simple no. The reason being, we have yet to see the "iPod Video." With the upcoming switch to Intel chip sets, we're also going to see the release of the official iPod Video. And why not? In the first 3 weeks of offering music videos, TV shows, etc., Apple sold 1 million videos. Steve Jobs stated that he sees a much larger market than he originally thought.

A month later, iTunes adds more shows. Networks are calling up Apple saying, "we want onboard."

Now to my point, Apple has dominated the music world with intuitive designs in their stores and their devices, now with it entering the video realm, they're going to dominate that arena as well.

Apple knows who their competitors are. They know all about Tivo. I assure you, whatever they release to compete with Tivo is going to be a serious threat to Tivo's business plan. Is Tivo going to go bankrupt over this? Of course not. Since Apple released the iPod, MP3 makers like Creative Labs and Sony do quite well with their cheap and unimaginative products. Tivo will live on, but if they want to continue to be profitable, they need to make great leaps in innovation.

In order to stay afloat, Tivo needs to partner with other companies to offer a broader package. Netflix, online movie rentals, enabling a DVD burner to hook up to your Tivo, etc. These are all things Tivo will not only have to consider, but will have to see to fruition if they plan to remain competitive.

It's one thing to come out with an innovative product, but what good is that product if you just leave it as is. Tivo has remained pretty much unchanged over the years. That only allows companies like Apple to take their time in developing a more superior product. With Apple's upcoming hardware announcements on Jan. 9, it wouldn't surprise me if they released a few products that make those at Tivo a little nervous.

Apple fans still have not seen a TivoToGo feature. Home media options are suffering with every Tivo software update. Tivo is losing the Mac community, and any product release from Apple to confront this issue is going to be a welcome one.

If Apple does release their new Mac, I can assure you, I would have no problem canceling my Tivo subscription. I know that if Apple does so, their product will be far more innovative than anything Tivo has produced within the past few years.
pobox3721 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post