July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #1 (Print)
TiVoBill

Note New Software Update Rollout Starting

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you all a heads up - there is a new version of software about to go out for Series2 standalone systems. Everyone with 7.1a will be getting it in the coming weeks.

The new code addresses a few minor bugs. For many of our Series2 products this will also take care of the pixilation issues some of you have reported when changing channels with a digital cable box. The only exceptions at this time are TiVo boxes starting with 540 and 590 – for those boxes a separate, additional software release to address this issue is being worked on.

Thanks again to those that helped identify and isolate this issue for us -- it's appreciated.

Bill
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #2 (Print)
lordrichter

Send a message via ICQ to lordrichter Send a message via AIM to lordrichter Send a message via MSN to lordrichter Send a message via Yahoo to lordrichter
Is the priority list available for this update, or is it just going out in a random manner? Is the rollout going to start slow and scale up or start full tilt.

Can people start forcing a connection every hour, on the hour?

Old 04-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #3 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Is the priority list available for this update, or is it just going out in a random manner? Is the rollout going to start slow and scale up or start full tilt.

Can people start forcing a connection every hour, on the hour?

There will not be a priority list available. The entire rollout should only take a couple of weeks though, so it won't take long for everybody to have it. Some people will get it tonight and some more early next week. No need to start forcing hourly connections.

Last edited by TiVoBill : 04-21-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #4 (Print)
Throg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoBill
The entire rollout should only take a couple of weeks though, so it won't take long for everybody to have it. Some people will get it tonight and some more early next week.

This rollout began on 4/21 and I still don't have it. I've been anxiously checking everyday. What's going on here? Is Tivo consipiring against me?
Throg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #5 (Print)
whoknows55
Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throg
This rollout began on 4/21 and I still don't have it. I've been anxiously checking everyday. What's going on here? Is Tivo consipiring against me?

Yes.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #6 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:

A few hundred thousand customers have received 7.1b so far. The remaining boxes that are eligible for it will receive it over the next few weeks.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #7 (Print)
MusicMama

The next "few" weeks vs. the next 2 weeks

So, I haven't gotten my 7.1b update yet, although I've forced lots of calls hoping it would just "happen". And now TiVoBill changes the outlook from the original 2 weeks to the next few weeks -- making it well over a month since the promised rollout. I've been patient, but how come, with a service case # for the pixelation issue, I haven't gotten my fix yet? How is the rollout being done -- randomly, or by those who complained and got a case #? Why no priority list for this, when there was a priority list for the original 7.1 -- is it because TiVo the company is concerned with finding out just how many subscribed sets really were affected? And how come some people with 590 boxes are saying they've already gotten the update when it was originally promised to the 240 customers first?
MusicMama is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #8 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:

Don't worry, they're conspiring aganst me too (SD-H400 model).
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #9 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Don't worry, they're conspiring aganst me too (SD-H400 model).

Sd H400 model should be eligible for 7.1b
it is the DVD recorder models that will not get it. basically if you have 1.1a02 you will get 7.1b at some point.

as to the posters who want a priority list to get the update - how about checking the The TiVoToGo™ Feature Has Been Released! Priority List Now Available thread for why TiVo will probably never again do a priority list
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #10 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Is there a way we'll be able to know if/when the update has been applied? Version number change, perhaps?

Thanks,
Cassidy
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #11 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
Is there a way we'll be able to know if/when the update has been applied? Version number change, perhaps?

Thanks,
Cassidy

Yes -- new version is 7.1b and you will get a PTCM (actually the You've Got TiVotoGo message).
Old 04-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #12 (Print)
AlMag415

Will This Bug Fix Address the Freezing/Pixelation issue for non-cable box hookups?

In the past week or so I've noticed a lot of freeze-ups and pixelation on both live tv and recorded programs on both of my Tivo Boxes. Both are 240 service number models with software version 7.1a02-2-240 installed. One unit froze for almost a minute while flipping through menus.

I doubt this is a hard drive crash problem since both units started having this issue at around the same time.

Have other users reported this to tech support? Is this one of the known bugs that will be fixed with 7.1b?

Thanks.
AlMag415 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #13 (Print)
perry7566

Arrow

Wow not the 540 and 590 models yet ?!?

Besides being both the models that I own

Aren't those the current models (40-80-140 hr) that you sell at Tivo ??
both the Tivo Series 2 and the Humax Series 2.

No offense but you guys need to redouble your efforts to support your current product offerings.

Thanks
perry7566 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #14 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry7566
Wow not the 540 and 590 models yet ?!?

Besides being both the models that I own

Aren't those the current models (40-80-140 hr) that you sell at Tivo ??
both the Tivo Series 2 and the Humax Series 2.

No offense but you guys need to redouble your efforts to support your current product offerings.

Thanks

The great majority of people who reported this problem have the older Series2 boxes so we are rolling out the fix to those platforms first. The newer hardware requires a different fix which is still being developed and tested.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #15 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMag415
In the past week or so I've noticed a lot of freeze-ups and pixelation on both live tv and recorded programs on both of my Tivo Boxes. Both are 240 service number models with software version 7.1a02-2-240 installed. One unit froze for almost a minute while flipping through menus.

I doubt this is a hard drive crash problem since both units started having this issue at around the same time.

Have other users reported this to tech support? Is this one of the known bugs that will be fixed with 7.1b?

Thanks.

The pixilation issue is only with cable boxes and old for a few seconds after channel change. If you are seeing freezing on a regular basis, there is most likely a hardware related issue.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #16 (Print)
AlMag415

Quote:
The pixilation issue is only with cable boxes and old for a few seconds after channel change. If you are seeing freezing on a regular basis, there is most likely a hardware related issue.

Well the reason I think it's software related is because it has only been in the past week or so that it's happened on both boxes. I have talked with a couple friends who have Series2 boxes and they are reporting the same problem within the past week or so- Extreme pixelation/garbled pic for a few seconds while watching live TV or recorded programing. They chalked it up to maybe their cable or something. I thought that at first too but then recorded the same program on both recorders- one had a garbled spot or two and the other was fine, so it's something to do with the TiVo.

It's a fairly recent thing so maybe it hasn't been reported yet. I started asking questions of friends because i have 2 boxes- one that's almost 2 yrs old and one that's about 10 months old, and both started behaving that way at the same time.
AlMag415 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 06:55 PM   #17 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you all a heads up - there is a new version of software about to go out for Series2 standalone systems. Everyone with 7.1a will be getting it in the coming weeks.

The new code addresses a few minor bugs. For many of our Series2 products this will also take care of the pixilation issues some of you have reported when changing channels with a digital cable box. The only exceptions at this time are TiVo boxes starting with 540 and 590 – for those boxes a separate, additional software release to address this issue is being worked on.

Thanks again to those that helped identify and isolate this issue for us -- it's appreciated.

Bill

Any progress on the double-button-press issues? That one is STILL killing me daily.
dropd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #18 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd
Any progress on the double-button-press issues? That one is STILL killing me daily.

Afraid not. We are stilll trying to replicate and narrow down the issue.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:42 PM   #19 (Print)
dropd

Quote:

I'll tell you how to replicate it: call me up, send me a RMA UPS label, and I'll mail you my tivo and remote.

This is really frustrating -- it's been months now, how can you guys have not replicated it? It's as easy as getting someone to send you their box.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #20 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
I'll tell you how to replicate it: call me up, send me a RMA UPS label, and I'll mail you my tivo and remote.

This is really frustrating -- it's been months now, how can you guys have not replicated it? It's as easy as getting someone to send you their box.

I know it is frustrating -- unfortunately it's also very rare (none of our internal or beta testers have this issue, for example). I might just take you up on that offer. Send me a PM with your details and I will see what we can work out.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #21 (Print)
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
I know it is frustrating -- unfortunately it's also very rare (none of our internal or beta testers have this issue, for example). I might just take you up on that offer. Send me a PM with your details and I will see what we can work out.

Dropd, just in case you missed TiVoBill's post that he posted right before yours. (I'm not being sarcastic btw, I know I sometimes miss posts that are posted while I'm writing my own posts.)

-Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #22 (Print)
pigbat

Quote:

Rare? lol I have 2 Tivos doing it. I must be cursed.
pigbat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-22-2005, 11:47 PM   #23 (Print)
jk5598224

Red face test box

Quote:

If you guys still need a test box, PM me. I can drop off my Sony SVR-3000 Series 2, 1xx for you. (No RMA or shipping needed!).

I drive by your office building every day, assuming you are in the building off the 237.

(IMO it is a minor bug given the nature of Software Upgrades in the Software Industry... I work for one of the largest software companies around)...
jk5598224 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2005, 04:56 PM   #24 (Print)
Stu_Bee

Quote:

I too am surprised at the status of the Double-Button, slow response issue (ie. 'Still trying to replicate').
I live in Santa Clara County, and will be moving to a new house next week...it might be a good time to give up my Tivo for testing for a week until I get cable at the new location. Not quite as handy as when I used to work right across the freeway from ya, but close enough.

Let me know if you are interested. It's an AT&T Series 2 40hr (mod'd to 130). It doesn't exhibit the issue quite as bad as some others have reported...but it does appear.
Stu_Bee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 07:42 PM   #25 (Print)
fluffie

Quote:

i suggest you buy a new remote - it's not worth the aggravation. and it doesn't look like they will be fixing it anytime soon.
fluffie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #26 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffie
i suggest you buy a new remote - it's not worth the aggravation. and it doesn't look like they will be fixing it anytime soon.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. That's absolutely ridiculous. It worked fine with the prior TiVo version. TiVo then broke it with their software update. Now they're claiming they can't reproduce the problem. All they have to do to reproduce the problem is get someone like me to mail their unit in. I volunteer. I'm on record. I'm sure there's 10 willing volunteers on these boards alone.

Forcing me to give tivo *more* money to fix a problem *they* caused with my unit? That's insane.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #27 (Print)
fluffie

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. That's absolutely ridiculous. It worked fine with the prior TiVo version. TiVo then broke it with their software update. Now they're claiming they can't reproduce the problem. All they have to do to reproduce the problem is get someone like me to mail their unit in. I volunteer. I'm on record. I'm sure there's 10 willing volunteers on these boards alone.

Forcing me to give tivo *more* money to fix a problem *they* caused with my unit? That's insane.

Yes it's ridiculous, but at least the problem is solved (for me) and that makes me happy.
fluffie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #28 (Print)
tone81

Hey Tivo-Bill,

I'm curious if TIVO is admitting or aware of the Choppy Audio problems with a lot of the serie-2 boxes since the 7.1 update?????
I have a 540 box that Audio cuts out on both live and recorded programs. The cutouts happen afternoon - evening timeframe and get bad enough that all audio is lost at points.
I've had to stop watching recorded show at night because of audio loss, then gone back and watched the same show next morning with no problems.

I'm returning my unit this weekend, but if a TIVO SW fix is coming that would address I might be tempted to hold off.

ANy info would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.
tone81 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-22-2005, 04:33 AM   #29 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
It worked fine with the prior TiVo version. TiVo then broke it with their software update.

The fact that it worked fine with previous software versions doesn't mean you don't have bad/marginal hardware.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #30 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
The fact that it worked fine with previous software versions doesn't mean you don't have bad/marginal hardware.

The preponderance of evidence suggests a tivo software problem. Look in the history of posts on this board - a whole slew of people started getting double button press at the exact same time, which was when 7.1 rolled out.