Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2005, 06:07 PM   #121 (Print)
abdemaio

Arrow Data point - got 7.1b, still have pixelization

I have a "540" series TiVo, and got 7.1b on 5/4. Pixelization problem is as bad as ever (since 7.1, that is!) and menus seem a bit slower. I tried unplugging and restarting to see if a fresh start would help - it didn't.

I am connected via a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200 digital cable box; service is IO digital cable from Cablevision of Westchester NY.

I read in earlier posts that the 7.1b update was not meant to address my configuration; I hope that is true and that a subsequent release fixes my problem, because if this is "the solution" it ain't working.
abdemaio is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-08-2005, 04:11 AM   #122 (Print)
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoking
You cannot setup TIVO for the first time without a phone line, so it does not matter if you bought the wireless adapter. That is one downfall to TIVO. You must use a phone line to run setup the first time. Many people in the US have dropped their land lines, and have gone to wireless cell phone, so this is a definite error on TIVOs part. This is a Linux PC, so they should provide a CD-ROM, which would allow us to download updates ourselves, and put them on CD, to install on TIVO.

Phone line keeps it simple. CD-rom don't go over well with the technophobic
( which outnumber us). Many people are still freaky about Windows, let alone Linux.
Keeping it less computer-like sells more Tivos. Also unless one lives in a place where there are no natural disasters you should always have a land line in case of emergencies. And in case you're wondering I make most my calls with a cellphone but I still keep a landline.
Gotta go...i think the earth just shook....
tenthplanet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 AM   #123 (Print)
wtb

Is the double button problem (or how ever it is described) where you push the button (any button) and the TiVo acts like you pressed it twice? If so, I've now seen it regularly on my 540 TiVo. It's been on a while so it may be related to that. I've come across it when pressing the up/down chan button while searching through episodes in the group folder.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #124 (Print)
Throg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtb
Is the double button problem (or how ever it is described) where you push the button (any button) and the TiVo acts like you pressed it twice?

If you're asking if it's addressed or fixed in the update, the answer is no. Only the pixelation issues were fixed. However, I haven't even confirmed that my pixelation problems were corrected yet. Sluggish response and buffered presses from the remote is still a problem.
Throg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #125 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
It's not SUPPOSED to help those with 540 units yet, per Bill's post. The next version supposedly will.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #126 (Print)
abdemaio

540 Units

Ashu ...

I realize the update was not meant to fix the problem on the 540 units. I also thought, therefore, that the 540 units were not going to get this update. When I got the update, I wanted to post to let whomever is reviewing this board that, at least for my combination of TiVo, cable box, and cable provider, there was no change - the problem still exists.
abdemaio is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #127 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdemaio
Ashu ...

I realize the update was not meant to fix the problem on the 540 units. I also thought, therefore, that the 540 units were not going to get this update. When I got the update, I wanted to post to let whomever is reviewing this board that, at least for my combination of TiVo, cable box, and cable provider, there was no change - the problem still exists.

The 7.1b release is going to all customers who currently have 7.1 or 7.1a since it addresses some other bugs as well (the infamous Fast Forward Tag bug in particular).
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #128 (Print)
pjjanthony

What is the status of the roll out? I have the older series 2 with a digital box and still don't have 7.1b.
pjjanthony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #129 (Print)
digimike5

Do you have an idea when the update will come out for Series 2 Tivos with a serial number beginning in 540?
digimike5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #130 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimike5
Do you have an idea when the update will come out for Series 2 Tivos with a serial number beginning in 540?

As I said, this update (7.1b) is going to customers with a 540 box, if they previously received 7.1 or 7.1a. As far as the pixilation issue, that issue is expected to be addressed for the "540" boxes in a software release this summer.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #131 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjanthony
What is the status of the roll out? I have the older series 2 with a digital box and still don't have 7.1b.

It's still ongoing. I believe that it is being sent to tens of thousands of boxes a day. You should have it shortly if you have 7.1 or 7.1a right now.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #132 (Print)
filburt1
Mandelbaum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoBill
It's still ongoing. I believe that it is being sent to tens of thousands of boxes a day. You should have it shortly if you have 7.1 or 7.1a right now.

I am a bit unclear on what I've read about 540 boxes (which is what I have) and 7.1b. Does this mean that 7.1b is actively being released to 7.1/7.1a (I have the latter) customers right now, but it does not address the so-called "pixelation" bug as it does with other boxes?
filburt1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #133 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt1
I am a bit unclear on what I've read about 540 boxes (which is what I have) and 7.1b.

Does this mean that 7.1b is actively being released to 7.1/7.1a (I have the latter) customers right now, but it does not address the so-called "pixelation" bug as it does with other boxes?

You got it. 7.1b will go out to the 540 boxes with 7.x alredy on them, however, it will not fix pixelation on those 540 boxes.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #134 (Print)
ignipotentis

So I have a 240 box which had no problems until the 7.x line of software. Now, I'm being told that it appears my box is refusing to accept the 7.1b update, and there is nothing TiVo can do about it. If I want to continue to enjoy a working TiVo unit, I must pay $80 to have them ship me a refurbished unit.

I have to say this policy is rediculious. Any one have any ideas?
ignipotentis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #135 (Print)
TiVore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoBill

Bill,

I had a 2-year old S2 240-series box that I reset and gave to a friend yesterday. Replaced it with a brand new 140-hour 540-series box. (I hadn't received 7.1b on the 240 box as of the time I reset it). But, I was seeing pixelation on the 240 box with a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box.

Anyway - what I'm wondering is, does this mean that since my new 540 box came with version 5.x on it and thus has never been fed version 7.1x, will I keep version 5.x on the new box until the next release? That's what I'm hoping will happen.
TiVore is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 09:22 AM   #136 (Print)
drjlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignipotentis
So I have a 240 box which had no problems until the 7.x line of software. Now, I'm being told that it appears my box is refusing to accept the 7.1b update, and there is nothing TiVo can do about it. If I want to continue to enjoy a working TiVo unit, I must pay $80 to have them ship me a refurbished unit.

I have to say this policy is rediculious. Any one have any ideas?

I have no ideas but... One of mine downloaded 7.1b and when it restarted never got past the welcome, powering up screen. My other TiVo had no problems. I too was told that the only recourse was to pony up money for a replacement. I've only had the one the update broke since August.
drjlb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 09:49 AM   #137 (Print)
tone81

I'm in the same situation as TIVore above and have the same question. My old 540 died shortly after the 7.1a upgrade. The replacement box is a 540 which came with v5.x. I 've had the new box for a few weeks now with no S/W update.

Will this box get updated to any v7.x release or is TIVO stopping the rollout of V7.x until it can get to resolution on all the issues.

If TIVO-Bill is listening, I guess I prefer to stay at v5.x and live without TTG/HME until TIVO gets the v7.x mess cleaned up.
tone81 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #138 (Print)
ignipotentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlb
I have no ideas but... One of mine downloaded 7.1b and when it restarted never got past the welcome, powering up screen. My other TiVo had no problems. I too was told that the only recourse was to pony up money for a replacement. I've only had the one the update broke since August.

My full post on this issue can be found over here:
/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=239121 (sorry, I don't have 5 posts so I can't put a clickable url)

Its amazing how one eavening on the phone with customer service can sour your additute. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. The lack of care displayed by the reps is what bothers me the most. I got the distinct impression they could care less if I cancled my service or not.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #139 (Print)
drjlb

Quote:
My full post on this issue can be found over here:
/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=239121 (sorry, I don't have 5 posts so I can't put a clickable url)

Its amazing how one eavening on the phone with customer service can sour your additute. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do. The lack of care displayed by the reps is what bothers me the most. I got the distinct impression they could care less if I cancled my service or not.

If I may, here is some unsolicited advice. If you decide to stay with TiVo, I would definitely look into a new hard drive. For $120, you can get a new 80 hour drive shipped with a 2 year warranty preloaded with the software. So, for $40 more than TiVo will charge you, you can get a much better warranty (and don't forget that you have to pay to ship your box back to TiVo if you take their refurb).

I'm sure both of our boxes are fine. The drives probably had problems that were revealed by the update. It would be nice if someone at TiVo (cough:TiVoBill, TiVoPony, TiVoOpsMngr:cough) would take the initiative to look into this since without their update, our boxes would not be broken. I find it hard to believe that we are the only two that have contacted customer service.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #140 (Print)
ignipotentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlb
If I may, here is some unsolicited advice. If you decide to stay with TiVo, I would definitely look into a new hard drive. For $120, you can get a new 80 hour drive shipped with a 2 year warranty preloaded with the software. So, for $40 more than TiVo will charge you, you can get a much better warranty (and don't forget that you have to pay to ship your box back to TiVo if you take their refurb).

Yes, I have been looking into weaknees. The only question I have is will this end up changing my Media Access Code some how? Will I have to add the tivo again to the service as a new device and then remove the other one?

*Note: I wandered on over to Weaknees and found out the serial number is not tied to the HDD, allowing for easy hard drive replacements / upgardes. I wonder why the TiVo Service people don't just offer to send me a new HDD and let me swap it out. Its not as though it is rocket science :-)

Last edited by ignipotentis : 05-10-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #141 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Or, you can reimage a 300GB drive for the same cost (often 40 cents or less per GB!) if you're technically inclined, plunk it into your system, and be golden (except for the lost shows).

Hard disks will ultimately die - I wouldn't blame TiVo-the-company for that!

<edit> Of course, for those not technically inclined, or more risk-averse - weaknees/ptvupgrade are awesome, helpful, reasonable and upstanding businesses. I endorse them whole-heartedly!

Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #142 (Print)
ukaussi

Quote:
...... I wonder why the TiVo Service people don't just offer to send me a new HDD and let me swap it out. Its not as though it is rocket science :-)

They won't send you one because I believe that many of us are not having hard drive issues as I demonstrated by swapping my drive out and the new drive was fine until it downloaded the 7.1 software after which it was also screwed up.

2 x DCT6412 HD-DVR
Netflix x4
ukaussi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #143 (Print)
ignipotentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaussi
They won't send you one because I believe that many of us are not having hard drive issues as I demonstrated by swapping my drive out and the new drive was fine until it downloaded the 7.1 software after which it was also screwed up.

This is another worry of mine. If I do swap it out, and I run into the same issue... then what? I just not convinced yet that this is a hdd issue. I wish TiVo had at least put in some easter eggs (like the 30 second skip) to run a disk check and defrag util and spit out the logs to the screen. If it came back with errors in sectors blah i wouldn't be so hesitant.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #144 (Print)
drjlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu

Hard disks will ultimately die - I wouldn't blame TiVo-the-company for that!

If my TiVo wasn't 9 months old, and it did not die immeadiately after trying to reboot because of an update, I would not be blaming TiVo. Since both of those things are true, I lay this squarely at TiVo-the -company's feet.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #145 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Quote:
This is another worry of mine. If I do swap it out, and I run into the same issue... then what? I just not convinced yet that this is a hdd issue. I wish TiVo had at least put in some easter eggs (like the 30 second skip) to run a disk check and defrag util and spit out the logs to the screen. If it came back with errors in sectors blah i wouldn't be so hesitant.

You can run the disk checks externally with the mfstools cd. I'm quite sure it includes fsck. (Do some searching - I *could* be completely wrong)

And 9 months, eh drjlb? Last I checked it was a 90 day labor and 1 year partss warranty. Invoke it. Although labor (for an analysis) may exceed the replacement cost they're offering, so I say TiVo's being nicer than they need to

I feel bad for folks with failing hard drives (if tht's confirmed to be what it is) ... but objectively, really - in your case you can't blame TiVo. You knew the warranty duration.

And hard drives will frequently fail when powered down and back up, not while running continuously. I maintain that yours would (just as likely) have failed even if you powered it down and back with only the previous version on it (with no 7.x download).

Of course, for the person with the issue that isn't related to the hard drive - I have no response. Except advertising a TiVo for sale in your sig is prolly not something I'd do long-term

Old 05-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #146 (Print)
chedlin
TiVo Addict

I thought the tivo had a way of calling in and activating a diagnostics mode to allow TiVo remote access. I could be mistaken, but this seems like something I have seen hints of while hacking mine.

If this mode exists, it would be a very good way for TiVo to have an idea of what is wrong with it short of doing a replacement.

I think consumer electronics always having 90 day warrenties sucks, but TiVo is in line with everyone else. How much would these companies really have to pay to cover their products for a year?
chedlin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #147 (Print)
ignipotentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedlin
I thought the tivo had a way of calling in and activating a diagnostics mode to allow TiVo remote access. I could be mistaken, but this seems like something I have seen hints of while hacking mine.

If this mode exists, it would be a very good way for TiVo to have an idea of what is wrong with it short of doing a replacement.

I think consumer electronics always having 90 day warrenties sucks, but TiVo is in line with everyone else. How much would these companies really have to pay to cover their products for a year?

If they do have this, I would gladly open the TiVo up from behind the firewall to allow them to do this. As I said before, I do not beleive this is a hard drive issue. I can still record programs and do everything else fine. The only thing I cannot do is update to the 7.1b software. Thus, I'm stuck with the pixelation, and a TiVo which reboots itself nightly trying to install it.

If fsck returns w/ sector errors, I will gladly replace my HDD. Due to my time constraints, I will most likely just go with Weaknees and get it over with. I've asked the TiVo service reps if there was something along these lines they could do, and they answered with: "We have no ability to do any diagnostic on the system because it is closed."

Despite the horible logic of that statement, it shows (me) that TiVo is not interested in finding out what is wrong.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #148 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedlin
The question is really how much more would consumers have to pay for companies to cover their products for a year? I am in total agreement that 90 days is not enough, but I would expect the cost of longer warranties to be passed on to the consumer, rather than the company 'eating' it.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #149 (Print)
chedlin
TiVo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
The question is really how much more would consumers have to pay for companies to cover their products for a year? I am in total agreement that 90 days is not enough, but I would expect the cost of longer warranties to be passed on to the consumer, rather than the company 'eating' it.

Yes, this is true. I didn't mean to imply that the company would eat it. But there are many forces affecting the price of consumer electronics. Would a better warranty affect consumer good will and reduce marketing? How would it affect customer service costs? Do enough consumers even care?

Since most customers haven't paid any attention to warranty length, all the companies have raced to the bottom to compete on price. I don't think the customers have come out ahead on this.
chedlin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #150 (Print)
drjlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
You can run the disk checks externally with the mfstools cd. I'm quite sure it includes fsck. (Do some searching - I *could* be completely wrong)

And 9 months, eh drjlb? Last I checked it was a 90 day labor and 1 year partss warranty. Invoke it. Although labor (for an analysis) may exceed the replacement cost they're offering, so I say TiVo's being nicer than they need to

I feel bad for folks with failing hard drives (if tht's confirmed to be what it is) ... but objectively, really - in your case you can't blame TiVo. You knew the warranty duration.

And hard drives will frequently fail when powered down and back up, not while running continuously. I maintain that yours would (just as likely) have failed even if you powered it down and back with only the previous version on it (with no 7.x download).

Of course, for the person with the issue that isn't related to the hard drive - I have no response. Except advertising a TiVo for sale in your sig is prolly not something I'd do long-term

You seem to be laboring under the misapprehension that I think that I am owed something by TiVo. If you read back through the thread, I never said that I thought TiVo should replace my TiVo for free. Nor did I mention a warranty period other than the fact that other companies provide better ones on their HDDs (in an effort to help what I assume is a newbie).

What I do think TiVo should do is investigate why this is happening. If it is a problem with the disk that the update uncovered (which I think it is in my case) that's my problem as you so less than subtly pointed out. If it is a problem with the update (which apparently some people feel that it is) then TiVo should be rectifying the situation. They will never know unless they look at the drives (either remotely or in their labs).

However, suggesting that the consumer needs to run diagnostics of their own volition is absurd. Even though people around here are technically savvy, we are in the minority. If this were the first TiVo I had ever owned and it stopped working 9 months in, I would drop the company in a heartbeat and never look back. Stop defending TiVo blindly and start reading what people write (not what you think they write).