Old 05-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #181 (Print)
ukaussi

Sorry, didn't realize it was setup this way. My mistake

2 x DCT6412 HD-DVR
Netflix x4
ukaussi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #182 (Print)
skubish

got my 7.1b update yesterday on my 540. Pixelation still sucks. I hope Microsoft's rollout of Longhorn doesn't suck as bad as this Tivo2go has been.

Right now I give Tivo the
I think we should all get free lifetime for being beta testers for the past 3 months.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #183 (Print)
rmonk92591

In the past week or so I've noticed a lot of freeze-ups and pixelation on both live tv and recorded programs on both of my Tivo Boxes.
[B] My system is doing the same-what is the deal on this ?
rmonk92591 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #184 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubish
got my 7.1b update yesterday on my 540. Pixelation still sucks. I hope Microsoft's rollout of Longhorn doesn't suck as bad as this Tivo2go has been.

Right now I give Tivo the
I think we should all get free lifetime for being beta testers for the past 3 months.

I give to every poster who fails to notice the part of the announcement that makes it abundantly clear that 7.1b is NOT going to fix pixelation on the 540s, but other things ONLY. Wait for a future release - that's the official word.

Is this really *that* difficult to grasp?

Old 05-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #185 (Print)
avramd

TivoBill/et al - help! S2 has wrong date after 7.1b update

Hello,

I have two S2 units which recently upgraded to 7.1b. One is fine, the other, is running 7.1b-01-2-240. This machine won't record anything because it has no program data now. It connects fine though. I'm failry certain the problem is that for some reason, the box thinks the date is April 25, 1937, so the program data it is receiving is out of range.

If I power it down, it powers up thinking the date is Jan 1, 1970. But after forcing another connection, it goes back to April 25, 1937.

Can anyone tell me how to forcibly set it to the correct date?

Is anyone else having this problem? I called support and they basically wouldn't help me b/c they could tell I have upgraded my drives. They claimed that if I put my original drive back in, "it wouldn't do that." I suppose I can give that a try, but this doesn't seem like a problem that should be caused by a drive upgrade. I haven't done any software hacking at all, just drive replacement.
avramd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 03:21 AM   #186 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

Try replacing the battery on the system board.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #187 (Print)
avramd

I don't think that would fix a software problem

I put the original drive in, and it works fine. The problem is not that it is *forgetting* the date, the problem is that it is learning the wrong date in the first place.

I really hope it was just a glitch in the upgrade process, and restoring the original which now has 7.1b on it, to the expanded drives, will work... (fingers crossed)
avramd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #188 (Print)
dolfer
Moops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu

Ashu, it's not difficult to grasp. It's just difficult to take. And very difficult to live with. The "double press" alone is killing me!!!! It's very evident that Tivo has royally screwed up "a small percentage" of units with the 7.1 update. Since its obvious Tivo can't fix this problem, they should replace the affected units.

Thanks,

Dolf
dolf.zone@hotmail.com
http://dolfzone.blogspot.com

“Mommy, what’s a gagortion?”
dolfer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #189 (Print)
skubish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
I give to every poster who fails to notice the part of the announcement that makes it abundantly clear that 7.1b is NOT going to fix pixelation on the 540s, but other things ONLY. Wait for a future release - that's the official word.

I am well aware of this fact. I am just ranting as to:
A. Why are they fixing the older versions of Tivo first rather than the current product they are selling.
B. Why it is taking this long to fix.
C. Why I am not being compensated for being a beta tester. All you Tivo-appologists can hold your breathe--many companies would credit your service account for this inconvenience. Why WoW (World of Warcraft) servers were down for awhile they game credit to our accounts.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:22 PM   #190 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by avramd
This machine won't record anything because it has no program data now. But after forcing another connection, it goes back to April 25, 1937.

Sorry to poke fun at your situation... but there probably wasn't a whole lot of shows in 1937 to fill your guide.

I still don't have 7.1b... TivoBill implied the update would be rolled to all folks within a few weeks. Not that I have high hopes of it correcting my system lag issue, but it would be nice to get it.

Ha - both Tivo the company and Tivo the box are just kind of slow these days.
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #191 (Print)
ukaussi

Quote:
A. Why are they fixing the older versions of Tivo first rather than the current product they are selling.
C. Why I am not being compensated for being a beta tester. All you Tivo-appologists can hold your breathe--many companies would credit your service account for this inconvenience. Why WoW (World of Warcraft) servers were down for awhile they game credit to our accounts.

If you call they will most likely give you a credit, I got 2 months credit and will be calling again later this month to get another credit

2 x DCT6412 HD-DVR
Netflix x4
ukaussi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #192 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
I feel your pain and I'll try to answer your points without being an apologist.

A. There is likely a larger installed base of the older versions than the new. Taking care of the largest part of the problem population first would seem to be a logical tactic.

B. We can only guess, but the nature of the reported observations suggests it is a subtle issue that involves several factors working together to manifest the problem. Add that to the hardware differences between the early S2 TiVo units and the newer ones and it takes a significant amount of time to define the actual technical problem and then develop and test the fixes.

C. You should definitely call and ask for a credit for the months the problem has been present. Comparing them to game servers isn't quite the right anology. Cable and telephone providers would be more appropriate in this case. They may not be even be aware that an issue exists with your service unless you've called to report a problem.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 07:55 AM   #193 (Print)
davemcs

Been 2 weeks since my "upstairs" 40hr stock TiVO received 7.1B..but still waiting for my Weaknees modded unit to be updated...can I call TiVO support to have them d/l it to me manually?
davemcs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #194 (Print)
skubish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
I feel your pain and I'll try to answer your points without being an apologist.

A. There is likely a larger installed base of the older versions than the new. Taking care of the largest part of the problem population first would seem to be a logical tactic.

Maybe true but not a good business model because you are selling units that have none issues with them. I new customer may take one look at this issue and return Tivo and never come back.
Quote:
B. We can only guess, but the nature of the reported observations suggests it is a subtle issue that involves several factors working together to manifest the problem. Add that to the hardware differences between the early S2 TiVo units and the newer ones and it takes a significant amount of time to define the actual technical problem and then develop and test the fixes.

No excuse by me. Should have had more beta testing or an option to not install the update. I don't really need TTG and 4.x worked fine for me.

Quote:
C. You should definitely call and ask for a credit for the months the problem has been present. Comparing them to game servers isn't quite the right anology. Cable and telephone providers would be more appropriate in this case. They may not be even be aware that an issue exists with your service unless you've called to report a problem.

I will definitely have to do this.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #195 (Print)
Guyute1210

Send a message via AIM to Guyute1210 Send a message via MSN to Guyute1210
My 540 Unit got the 7.1b update yesterday, i rebooted, but haven't put it though the paces to see if the "bad bong" in the To-Do list is resolved. I'll let you know when i check this out.

TiVo 540 - 229hrs.
RTFM – or use this thing called Google!
Guyute1210 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #196 (Print)
scotthemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute1210
My 540 Unit got the 7.1b update yesterday, i rebooted, but haven't put it though the paces to see if the "bad bong" in the To-Do list is resolved. I'll let you know when i check this out.

My 540 (that wasn't "broken") updated to 7.1b a couple days ago. No change that I can see. Worked fine before, still works fine. Like you, I haven't been able to really put it through the paces to see if the menus are faster or anything like that, but I will try soon. Anything I've recorded since the update seems to still be fine. Plays and transfers programs without error.

My 240 (which is still broken), still doesn't have the update....

Tivo 40hr Series 2 540 7.1b-01
Humax 80hr Series 2 7.1b-01
scotthemme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #197 (Print)
Grimm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute1210
Got my 7.1b update this morning. No change at all with the "bad bong" in the To-Do List bug. As I feared it looks like no one at TiVo is acknowledging this bug and therefor no one is working on a fix for it.
Grimm1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #198 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

What is this "bad bong" about?

Sounds like something you'd get from a dirty hippie on a Dead lot.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #199 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

bad bong - in the to do list if you try and scroll too fast by hitting the up down or channel up down it will not move and instead bong as if a bad key was hit. after the sound you can press the button again and it will scroll. A minor bug.

What a long strange rollout it has been.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 11:03 PM   #200 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
bad bong - in the to do list if you try and scroll too fast by hitting the up down or channel up down it will not move and instead bong as if a bad key was hit. after the sound you can press the button again and it will scroll. A minor bug.

What a long strange rollout it has been.

hehe

oh, that bad bong! my unit does that too. it's really not a big deal for me personally. a slight annoyance...

Old 05-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #201 (Print)
MerlinMacuser

Just got 7.1b last night...still can't use T2G since I have a Mac but I don't let that bother me since I just use iMovie and a digitizer. My dvd player upconverts so I get great PQ from my home made disks. It only takes the time needed to play the material in real time, then edit then render and burn using iDVD. The whole process is about 2X real time. I just mow the lawn or run errands between stages.
MerlinMacuser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #202 (Print)
TechDreamer

You can count me in as one of the people that KNOWS this update does not fix the pixellation issue and is very pissed off about it.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #203 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer
You can count me in as one of the people that KNOWS this update does not fix the pixellation issue and is very pissed off about it.
That's not entirely correct. It fixes the issue for a large percentage of the affected population. It does not fix it for owners of units with service numbers beginning with 540 or 590, as was openly indicated by TivoBill when he announced the update was coming. He also indicated that those units would have a fix applied to them in a seperate update. 7.1b also fixes some other bugs (some disclosed, some not). If you feel that TiVo's efforts aren't enough or that TiVo isn't providing you with the level of service you've come to expect, I encourage your to call CS and ask for a refund for the months you've been affected and/or to cancel your service. Should you happen to be a lifetime customer and feel dissatisfied, you have the option to resell your unit.

Personally, I have a 240 model, and I (and my significant other) were very frustrated by it. I sympathize with you, but I duly reported my issue, was given credit for the time I was affected by it, and have since received an update that has restored full functionality and reliability to my unit. I feel that TiVo made every effort to keep me as a customer happy. My unit now does everything it did before 7.1 as well as it did prior to the upgrade, AND MORE. And I did not pay for the time my unit was not working properly.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #204 (Print)
abdemaio

No Credit for Pixelization Problem

After reading this and a few other threads about the pixelization problems, I called TiVo to see what if anything they would offer me by way of a credit on my monthly service fee for making it virtually impossible to channel surf on live TV using my TiVo.

Background: I have a 540 series TiVo (and yes I know 7.1b won't fix the pix. problem). I called and logged a case number after the first 7.1 upgrade stating that I had the pixelization problem. Although I wasn't asked by the rep, I told them I have a 540 series unit a (which they already knew) and was connected via a SA digital cable box (4300) with Cablevision of Westchester NY as my cable provider. They thanked me for logging the problem.

After reading posts of people calling to complain and getting partial or whole credits on their monthly fee, I called today to see what they would do for me. I was stunned.

If they had simply told me that they were not offering credits, I would have simply said that I thought that a bad policy and left it at that. But the rep (who to his credit was very polite) who checked with his supervisor to find out what the policy is, told me that according to the supervisor "since the pixelization problem only affects channel changing, it is not impacting performance of the TiVo and they are therefore not giving any credits."

To say that the pix. problem is not affecting the TiVo performance is idiotic. Yes, the TiVo still records shows. But if I can't reasonably use it to watch TV, without having to wait 10 seconds for every channel change, then I'd say their definition of what affects performance is absurd.

I asked the rep to pass my displeasure on to his supervisor and that I would post the results of our conversation here. I doubt anything will change, other than my already rather low opinion of TiVo's customer service policy. They are making it tough to continue to support this product.

<waiting impatiently for the fix to the 540's that'll let me watch Live TV again ... >
abdemaio is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-25-2005, 07:02 AM   #205 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

FYI I got the 7.1b update last night on my Toshiba unit, four weeks after the rollout began. If past updates are any indication, the rollout must be about complete as this unit seems to get software during the tail end of these cycles.

FYI2 My new 140HR unit didn't have 7.1b for a few days and as soon as it got it the snappy menus/UI went away. On my Toshiba, my unscientific testing also confirms general system lag experienced on 7.1a remains with 7.1b. I guessing all these extra features (caching, web server, encryption, etc) are taking a toll on performance. It's certainly tolerable, but definitely noticeable and unwelcome.
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #206 (Print)
MerlinMacuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
...guessing all these extra features (caching, web server, encryption, etc) are taking a toll on performance. It's certainly tolerable, but definitely noticeable and unwelcome.

ditto...all I got from this "upgrade" was what I had before...and LESS. Now the system drags when I try to select anything or navigate between choices. No gain, just pain.

Still no digital T2G for my Macintosh.
MerlinMacuser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #207 (Print)
Boobie1998

7.1b

Hi there i just got the 7.1B upgrade on one of my tivo of the 540#. I read the link above and saw about the pixel problem and changing channel problem. Does anyone know of any news on when it going to be fix? I have another box and that one has not updated yet it still on 5.3 version but im sure it will eventually.
It just not good, and it record show like that too.
Boobie1998 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #208 (Print)
TiVotion
Misanthropic Geek

Got the 7.1b update on my new 540-series TiVo as well. Funny, I had the new unit for like 2 weeks before 7.1b got pushed to it. Since the unit shipped with 5.x on it, I assumed, since I was a digital cable box user, that I might be spared getting 7.1b. I previously had trouble with 7.1 on my old 240-box.

No such luck. Now the 540 is in the same boat as the 240 was...sort of.

Oddly enough, the 540 unit DID display symptoms of the 7.1 "problems" even when it was running version 5.x. The beginning of recordings would have the sound dropped out for several seconds, and the recording would "lag" in the beginning (although not "pixelate"). Also, the remote was not as responsive as it should be (required multiple button presses). Now, after 7.1b, the remote is "normally" responsive again (always hits on the first button press), BUT the sound dropouts and "lag" at the beginning of recordings is still there. But also oddly enough, there's no real "pixelation" like I saw on the 240 box.

Really strange.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #209 (Print)
TechDreamer

I have two Series 2 boxes. I called Tivo about the pixellation problem as soon as it started. Tivo has a record of me complaining about the problem. I canceled one of the boxes right when the problem started. I had held onto the service on the other box hoping for a fix. I called today for a credit on the second box due to the pixellation not being fixed until summer. I called two times and was not able to get any credit on my service. The CS people acted like they really really cared about me as they continually turned me down. I decided to cancel the service on the second box. I am now down to using a single hacked Series 1 box. Tivo has been of no help to me and many others during this whole fiasco. I am glad that some of you were able to get help from Tivo, but it appears that Tivo does not care enough about this problem to have all of customer service on the same page. The Series 1 is on lifetime and therefore Tivo is no longer getting any revenue from me.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-28-2005, 10:37 PM   #210 (Print)
TivoPip

Got 7.1b on my series 2 Sony a couple of days ago. Seems to have cleared up the double key press remote problems. Nice
TivoPip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post