Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2004, 04:40 AM   #1 (Print)
Cainam

New programs causing problems...

Having got a cachecard recently, I managed to get hold of a 64MB stick to put in it yesterday, which means I get no horrible driver error messages when I restart the Tivo anymore. Hurray!

While everything was working well, I then did the following:

Installed TivoWeb
Installed Stuart's Startup Editor
Installed Stuart's Endpad
Added TivoWeb and Enpad to the startup file (within Tivoweb), using the lines

/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb >> /dev/null &
/var/hack/endpad.tcl -s 1 -e 2 -auto >> /dev/null &

I based these lines on the example screenshot within the startup editor thread.

Everything seems to work fine i.e. if I restart the recorder then the cachecard drivers load OK, Tivo starts, and I can get into TivoWeb, use telnet and ftp, and the EndPad.log file exists, and seems to be ok.

BUT!!!

Twice since last night Tivo has not been able to see an incoming picture via the RF in socket (analogue cable, the only input to Tivo). When I go to live TV, the screen is blue, and it says something like 'unable to display picture, try changing channel a few times'. As a result it was unable to record a film last night (I only realised when I went into Now Playing, and the film did nothing when I chose it, and it asked me if I wanted to delete it...!) A reboot seems to fix the problem.

So...any advice on where to start looking to diagnose what is causing this? I have never seen it before last night... I am trying to remember what I may have done that would cause this. Is there a known problem with looking at the log files for endpad within TivoWeb while Tivo is recording something? Is there a problem with starting or stopping endpad while Tivo is recording? Have I got the lines in the startup file correct?

Any advice appreciated!
Cainam is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 06:10 AM   #2 (Print)
Mike B
Senior Munkee

Send a message via MSN to Mike B
Are you certain that there was a signal coming from the cable box at that time?

Mike

Old 07-06-2004, 06:39 AM   #3 (Print)
Cainam

Think so

I am fairly certain. When Tivo was still displaying the 'try changing channels a few times' message, I unplugged the RF cable, and plugged it directly into the TV and there was definately a picture...
Old 07-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #4 (Print)
Mike B
Senior Munkee

...from the cable box or just a RF signal in general?

If the cable box was playing up, then there may still have been the analogue TV signal from the loop-thru.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:38 AM   #5 (Print)
Cainam

Good point!

It was the cable box though, and not the RF pass through, as it was displaying Sky One...

But just because there was a picture showing when I tested it does not mean there was a picture showing when Tivo tried to connect to it...So I suppose it COULD be the cable box.

It just seems a bit of a coincidence that the cable box goes wrong the same day I install lots of new programs!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #6 (Print)
Mike B
Senior Munkee

Just out of interest, how come the cable box isn't connected to the TiVo's AUX SCART socket - does it not have a SCART output?

Old 07-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #7 (Print)
Cainam

Nope

Nope, it is an analogue General Instruments/Jerrold box. It just has RF cable in and RF cable out on the back
Old 07-06-2004, 10:50 AM   #8 (Print)
Mike B
Senior Munkee

OK, back to the original problem then...

Assuming you have a channel on your TV tuned to the RF output of the cable box, next time the TiVo gives you the 'Unable to display Live TV' blue screen, change the channel on your TV to view the cable box's RF out to ensure the output from the cable box is still good (you don't need to move the cable, as the TiVo will do RF pass-thru). If this is fine, then go to the guide on TiVo, and try selecting a different channel. See if TiVo sends the channel change command to the cable box. If it does, is the TiVo now displaying live TV properly? If not, change the TV back to view the RF output from the cable box, and see if the cable box has actually done the channel change.

Let me know...

Mike

Old 07-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #9 (Print)
Cainam

Worked it out now...!

Mike,

Thanks for your help I have worked out the cause now!

I decided to do as you suggested, and have a look what was happening on the RF bypass on TV.

So I tried a few things in order to recreate the error. And in doing so worked out the cause....

If I restart the Tivo while my PC is plugged in and connected via the cachecard and a crossover cable, everything starts OK, and I can watch pre-recorded programs OK. But when I go into Live TV, the screen is blank and I get the "change channels" message.

But if I disconnect the network cable between the PC and the Tivo, and THEN do a restart, everything works OK i.e. I can watch Live TV.

So this is why I was seeing the problems yesterday. I was connecting to Tivoweb, doing the changes in the Startup Editor, and then doing a restart...

So why I do not understand WHY this is happening, at least I know how to not make it happen.

I am guessing most people may not have seen this as their external boxes are connected via Scart, while mine is via the RF socket. And the normal RF pass through works fine.

If anybody else with a Cachecard and an RF in wants to try and recreate this problem I would be interested to hear about it!
Old 07-07-2004, 04:20 AM   #10 (Print)
Mike B
Senior Munkee

Glad to hear you've made a bit of progress - I haven't got a cachecard, so can't try this out, but I'm sure there's someone around here who can....

Mike