TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2003, 06:50 PM   #91 (Print)
Schnitty

quick question -- has anyone had any luck with the aircard (wireless) solution on the www.9thtee.com page? i like the idea of no wires, but will i be able to put the cover back on and still get reception? if not, i can always just buy an 802.11b to ethernet bridge like i have for my xbox.

"If you know me so well, then tell me which hand I use." - Tori Amos
Schnitty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-25-2003, 12:47 AM   #92 (Print)
hugepain

svr2000 can't mount drive

I'm having the same problems as a few other here in trying to get a bash prompt. I can get it on version 1.3 but it hasn't completed its guided setup . I just want it to work like a vcr if possible Has anyone had got it working ?
hugepain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2003, 11:29 PM   #93 (Print)
kbuegel

Mounting errors

I had problems mounting my series 2 drive, which is a 60gig. Similar to many errors above with the unknown partition table and mount command returning errors about not specifying a file system type.

Here is the solution:
Quote:
On my Series 2 (240080) it looks like the underlying drive isn't byte-swapped like many/all of the other TiVo units are, hence why it's complaining about XYAB instead of ABXY - the two bytes are swapped.

I was using Dylan's boot disk to access the TiVo HD in my PC. To fix the problem, I simply hold down the RIGHT SHIFT key (or both shift keys, left one alone did not work, not sure why) on my PC keyboard a little before the LILO prompt would appear. This will prevent LILO from auto-booting into the Linux kernel. At the LILO prompt, press the TAB key to list the available boot image/option names. The first is the default. Type the full text of the second option/word (should be "TiVo_noswap") and you should find your TiVo HD is accessible with no errors - at least it worked for me.

Interestingly, I couldn't find this information *anywhere* in the docs, or via a google search or a www.tivocommunity.com search with the error message text or parts of it. Of course, I'm probably blind, but who knows...

Also, I had trouble with my floppy drive access. When mounting the floppy by following the directions, I got errors later on when switching to the Dos floppy to copy the binarys into /mnt9/hack. I solved this problem by unmounting the floppy and remounting it. I used these commands with the DOS disk in the drive, not the Dylan boot disk:
cd / [ENTER]
umount /flop
mount /dev/fd0 /flop

Not sure if its just that my Dylan boot disk is messed up, or what, but it seems like the floppy mount command is very sensative to what floppy is actually in the drive when you enter the command.

Last edited by kbuegel : 04-21-2003 at 11:51 PM.
kbuegel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-28-2003, 08:56 PM   #94 (Print)
bjbuchanan

T-60 3.1 capacity and network upgrades

I am about to dive into my first of three T-60 upgrades for capacity and network capabilities. I have read most (or all) of the "How To's," but get a bit confused as to the order in which they should be applied. My plan is as follows:

Step 1: Capacity upgrade following the Hinsdale How-To. Note that I will be following configuration #1, adding a new 120GB drive to the existing 40GB drive. Based on my reading, this will preserve both partitions (4,7) when I do the Steve Jenkins How-To (step 3).

Step 2: Ethernet driver install follwing the silicondust instructions that accompany the Turbonet card. Accroding to my reading, this should get the card working with telnet and ftp access. I am unable to determine if this install includes the TivoWeb software, so I am assuming that it doesn't.

Step 3: TivoWeb and miscellaneous utility installation using the Steve Jenkins method, with the following ommissions:

step 2.10 : no need to copy tivoftpd as silicondust install includes ftp
step 2.11 : omit entirely - covered by silicondust install (does the silicondust install start telnet each time the Tivo is started?)
step 4.3 : omit entirely - included in silicondust install
step 5 : omit the line which loads tivoftpd from the rc.sysinit.author file as it is covered by the silicondust install (does the silicondust install start ftp each time the Tivo is started?)

I'm looking for any comments or suggestions regarding this upgrade path, particularly the questions posed above. I think that I have basics covered (DHCP server, et al), but am interested in trading notes with someone who has completed a similar upgrade.

Thanks,

Bryce
bjbuchanan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-23-2003, 01:06 PM   #95 (Print)
findtivo

Question

Hi,

I have read this guide, great writing !

Since I am doing research before my buying, and I am more interested in DirecTivo than standalone TiVo, I have a question:

Has anyone done the network (Telnet, ftp) hacking successfully on DirecTiVo ? Is it following same (or very similar) procedures ?

Thanks !
findtivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-23-2003, 03:02 PM   #96 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally posted by findtivo
Hi,

I have read this guide, great writing !

Since I am doing research before my buying, and I am more interested in DirecTivo than standalone TiVo, I have a question:

Has anyone done the network (Telnet, ftp) hacking successfully on DirecTiVo ? Is it following same (or very similar) procedures ?

Thanks !

I followed Steve's guide for both of my DirecTiVos, and it went off without a hitch.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:07 PM   #97 (Print)
TivoMama

Question Will this work with my Hughes HDVR2?

Will this code work on a series 2 HDVR2? I am completely new to hacking and have never used linux. I am fairly adept at installing components in my computer and using the cmd prompt, but that's about it. Also, my computer is running WinXP. I read that XP will overwrite some portions of the code. Can I create a partition and install Windows 98 on my HD to do all this or do I need to get another HD for my PC?

Thanks,
TivoMama
TivoMama is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2003, 10:15 AM   #98 (Print)
stevejenkins
TiVo sTeVe-o!

Nope, sorry. I don't have a Series 2 so this wasn't written to work with one.

Running: TurboNET, Telnet, TiVoFTPd, TiVoWeb, & TiVoPHP!
TiVo Newbie Hacking How-To Guide
TiVo Community Theme for TiVoWeb
My Home Theater
stevejenkins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #99 (Print)
mike32940

A lot of help! - a couple of notes

Steve

THanks for the excellent write up. I was able to follow your guide to the letter and everything works just great!

One little thing, unless I had made a mistake earlier, I had to change the following in section 5

/var/hack/bin/tivoftpd should be /var/hack/tivoftpd

For waht it's worth a DOS boot disk created under Windows XP doesn't leave you enough room for all the files. Had to resurect an old notebook to build the disk.

Thanks
Mike
mike32940 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #100 (Print)
CharterTivo

Cool Wow!

Well, I've switched my phone service to Packet8, so I had to get the TurboNet card for Internet programming updates to my HDR112 that I upgraded 3 years ago (no modems allowed on Packet8; it's worth it). I printed out your TiVo Network Hack How-To Guide and...wow. Things have come a long way since I blessed my new 80GB drive. Apart from the few edits I had to make for my situation (and aside from looking at the Boot Tivo screen for a hour while I researched what I might have done wrong to my rc.sysinit file, only to realize I hadn't plugged the IDE cable back into the board ), everything went perfectly. I now have telnet and web access as well as the updates.

Thanks very much for everyone's perseverance in managing the documentation. As a programmer, I know how much fun it is to make something work (sometimes) and how NOT fun it is to spend the time properly documenting. In the case of the Underground, you guys can't help yourselves making the TiVo World better, but nobody's holding a gun to your head to do the documentation, and it's much appreciated.

I'm trying to finish terminating my Cat5 so I can put this thing back in the entertainment center and clean off the kitchen table before my wife revolts.

Cheers!

CharterTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2003, 11:18 AM   #101 (Print)
Texan Cowboy

Instructions look good. How about adding pictures of the guts so we can see EXACTLY what you're talking about. Please
Texan Cowboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #102 (Print)
JKramerNV

I have just registered and have been using my Hughes HDVR2 for about a year now. I purchased this unit from Best Buy and noticed at the time of purchase it had USB ports and began considering the ability to backup my recording to an external USB hard drive and free up the space on my internal drive to furture recordings. Is there a way I can pursue this further and how can I do it. I am now versed in Linux yet I just installed Suse 8.0 and soon 8.2 .
JKramerNV is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2003, 03:53 AM   #103 (Print)
dadonnelly61

Send a message via AIM to dadonnelly61 Send a message via Yahoo to dadonnelly61
Are there any 'remote control' hacks available in 3.x? I just found this site this evening so I won't be tackling the full-blown hacks until later in the week. However, I noticed that there were codes, e.g. SELECT-PLAY-SELECT codes, that allow the user to change FF rate and to control the 'lag' when hitting PLAY (I HATE hitting PLAY and having it restart near the beginning of the previous advertisement!)

I will be putting my Sony SAT-T60 (DirecTV) onto my network later this week, but if I could adjust some of these settings via remote sooner I would be a much happier camper!

Mostly let me say that y'all have an awesome group of contributors! I can't believe that I didn't find this site sooner! I will be making contributions to those from whom I gather and utilize knowledge/code - Steve J can expect a little extra in his stocking, for sure! For all others, I gain from your questions as well. I hope that we can make this site - and related sites - a force to be reckoned with! I've always felt that my TiVo was the best thing to hit TV since Color but this may top even that! "God bless (you) one and all..."

Old 12-09-2003, 01:59 AM   #104 (Print)
Scott D

Hey, Steve. I am looking forward to doing the hack. There is way too much to read in this particular post, but what I do know, so far, is that this hack stuff on your page is designed for series 1 TiVo's. Again, lots to read and that includes your "How to" page as well. I am curious to know if any of these "hacks" will activate USB ports since there is no such slot to connect an adapter card for network connectivity? I have an HDVR2 series 2 DirecTiVo receiver.

Last edited by Scott D : 12-09-2003 at 02:32 AM.
Scott D is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #105 (Print)
goheels951

Re: Mounting errors

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kbuegel
[B]I had problems mounting my series 2 drive, which is a 60gig. Similar to many errors above with the unknown partition table and mount command returning errors about not specifying a file system type.

Here is the solution:

kbuegel - thank you thank you thank you.
your solution (holding down the shift key while booting dylan's boot disk) - then pressing tab and typing TiVo_noswap worked perfectly.

muchas gracias.
goheels951 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2003, 09:01 PM   #106 (Print)
goheels951

changes to rc.sysinit disappearing

First of all - Thanks to Steve Jenkins and Hinsdale for their guides - makes newbie hacking very easy.

The short of my problem:

I have a new Series 2 TiVo TCD24004A - 40 hours. I added a 120GB Western Digital B drive with no problems.

Following the instructions at tivo.stevejenkins.com/network.html, I am able to get into my TiVo drive, and edit rc.sysinit to include the line "tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &"

I put the drive back into the TiVo, boot it up, and determine its LAN IP address. Then from my WinXP laptop on the same LAN, I can ping the TiVo but not telnet to it.

I reattach the drive to my PC, open rc.sysinit, and the line I inserted has disappeared! Even the backup of the rc.sysinit file has disappeared. I've tried re-doing the edits a couple of times, with the same result.

I am editing the rc.sysinit file in hdc7 - I cannot mount to hdc4 (though the Jenkins tutorial says not to worry about this). I am using Dylan's boot disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
goheels951 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2003, 06:00 AM   #107 (Print)
zvonar

Re: changes to rc.sysinit disappearing

Quote:
Originally posted by goheels951

I have a new Series 2 TiVo TCD24004A - 40 hours. I added a 120GB Western Digital B drive with no problems.

Following the instructions at tivo.stevejenkins.com/network.html, I am able to get into my TiVo drive, and edit rc.sysinit to include the line "tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &"

Other than upgrading the drive, Steve's guide is only for Series 1 Tivos. You can't hack a Series 2 like you can a Series 1.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #108 (Print)
mentat

Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Barrett
I have the same problem, and i didnt see it resolved in this thread and it is killing me to not have it all working.. so anyways is mounting these partitions neccessary? i tried and it didnt work, so thought id just skip it and go on to the next step, but there wasnt a rc.sysinit file in the directory it is supposed to be, there were 2 files that looked sorta like that but i forget the name, but not named the same thing? so now what do i do?

When using the mfstools cd to actually mount the tivo drive you need to start it with the kernel "vmlnodma hdx=bswap" where x is the letter representing the channel the tivo drive is connected to. I spent several hours trying to figure this out before I found a thread about byte swapping issues for actually mounting drives with mfstools.
mentat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #109 (Print)
JulienPDX

Send a message via ICQ to JulienPDX Send a message via AIM to JulienPDX Send a message via Yahoo to JulienPDX
Cool Steve Jenkins' TIVO ethernet hack

does this work with directivo boxes?
JulienPDX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 02:37 AM   #110 (Print)
Geminisat

Service Unavalable

First Tivo Got hit by lighting, Phillips replace it for $99. The replaced got hit by Lighting , I installed turbonet Card , it worked for about Six months, got message "service Unavalible",I Pulled out Harddrive ,installed Nic_install,
still get "service unavalable" ? Should I see the Tivo on my Linksys Router,I have done so many things, how do set up nic_config_tivo to detech and assign a Ip Address, I can ftp, telnet, ping turbonet,with ip I assign it
Hope this make sense . Im lost thank you in advance, In Nic Config I chose to view All Files At End I got"evt2-fs warning : mounting unchecked fs , running e2fsck is recomended" I ran 2fssck it is asking for -(?) I don't know what to do

Last edited by Geminisat : 11-16-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Geminisat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #111 (Print)
falser

I had problems booting the CD version. It stopped at a kernel error, I don't recall the exact wording but it was a hard drive related error.

Is the kernel relatively old? My assumption is that it does not include IDE drivers for the Intel 865 chipset. Should I try on an older computer?

Alternatively, is there a place where I can download linux drivers & utils to do the same thing as the boot-up disk. I have experience with linux and have 2 servers running. I was able to backup the tivo drive one of them using mfstool, but cannot mount the partitions due to the partition table format that Tivo uses. Are there drivers available to do this?
falser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #112 (Print)
s11

ok guys iam a newbie and i dont think i want to hack tivo i just want to fix my tivo because i smashed my old one and i want to take the hard drive and make it work with the new tivo i just bought , i took it apart already changed harddrives but it wont boot , can someone guide me in the write direction on how i can attach my old hard drive to my new one making the old one (80GIG) the master of course and the new one the slave , do i need to format the new one , help , i missing my scheduled fLixs
s11 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #113 (Print)
iml84myd8s

"ideal" series 1 sa tivo

Quote:
step-by-step how-to guide for beginning TiVo hackers who are using TiVo software version 3.0.

Steve (and others who might have a suggestion or recommendation),

Like most others who use your guide, I too find it very impressive and plan to throw my hat into the upgrade arena. Instead of spending top dollar cash for the new Series 2 receivers, I am going to pick up a Series 1 from fleabay in order to try my hand with limited risk ($).

Obviously, there is no “ideal” receiver. However, as I am trying to determine which Series 1 to purchase, I noticed you are setup with two Sony SVR-2000. I was considering this receiver.

Can you (or anyone) share why one Series 1 receiver might be a better option versus another?

Thank you in advance!
iml84myd8s is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #114 (Print)
cybergal24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejenkins
I've created a detailed step-by-step how-to guide for beginning TiVo hackers who are using TiVo software version 3.0. It's not a FAQ, but a sequence of plain-English procedures that starts with an unhacked TiVo, and ends with a fully hacked one including telnet and ftp access.

It's a bit too long to post here in its entirety, so I've posted an HTML version on my site:

http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/

This how-to will walk a beginning TiVo hacker through the following procedures:

1. Installing a network adapter in your TiVo
2. Gaining telnet access to your TiVo
3. Configuring your TiVo to make its Daily Call via the network adapter
4. Installing binaries on your TiVo that are useful for further hacking
5. Including your hack binaries in your PATH for easy access
6. Automating READ/WRITE and READ ONLY switching in the file system

It's based on much of the information I've found in the Underground, and is a consolidation and update of the individual how-to's I've previously written that are posted in the Underground.

I would very much appreciate suggestions and corrections from Underground members. I've tried to give proper credit in the Acknowledgements section for all the information and advice I've "borrowed," but please let me know if I forgot anyone.

hello steve, sorry to bug you but I am stuck.. I am trying to install tivoweb on my tivo. I am following your instructions on http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_floppy.html

but I am stuck.. on the attributes (permissions)

chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author

the chmod command doesn't seem to be included in the floppy... I checked the bin folder.

it won't run it says chmod: not found

what can I do?

thanks
cybergal24 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-19-2005, 01:37 AM   #115 (Print)
cybergal24

I got the chmod from the other tivo boot disk for mfstools.. I am already telnet and running tivoweb... sorry...
cybergal24 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #116 (Print)
TxRider7

Send a message via AIM to TxRider7
Iv'e just loaded all the utilities from your Jenkins CD and when I try to Telnet into my TiVo its telling me that ( Could not open the connection on port 23 )

Iv'e checked my Linksys Router....and ive got port 23 passing my TiVo IP address, and I can also ping my TiVo without any problems.

Now....the only problem I had during the Jenkins install was that I was able to setup dir 4, 7 & 9 as needed....but could only mount 7 & 9 ?? In the Jenkins instructions...he speaks of this problem if 4 would not mount and to just ignore it and setup everything to dir 7 and it should still boot fine and connect ??

Any thoughts on this problem ??

Thanks for any input and help Steve !!

P.S. Im running a Series II TiVo ( Black Face ) Version 3.01b software...also just noticed that TiVo must have updated my software last night to 7.1a ....is there a way to keep it from updating or is this a problem ??
TxRider7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post